Suzuki Savage 650

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Savage 650

Suzuki Savage 650

Getting my first bike end of march ..been looking for one to fit my short *** frame of only just under 5 feet ...Not easy at all..but yes there is a god lol this bike is awesome !!! I can touch flat footed only issue i will have is where the foot pegs are...The shift and gas levers are to far forward for me to reach and the pegs are right flush to them ...So i will need to find someone who can bend them towards me so i can reach .Not a huge deal considering I finally am in bike heaven.
    Your Friends are your Family ..Your Bike is your Best Friend .Throttle That *****!!!! ..(as the hubby says) haha
    2003 Suzuki Savage LS 650

Re: Suzuki Savage 650

Great bike!
    I know a few vertically challenged people who've riden them over the years! This is your first bike so the peg position might be something to get use to rather than mess with, are they forward controls? Don't just "bend" them, do it right and reposition them if you have.
    Cheers
    In the breeze

I would not suggest "bending" the controls as this could weaken the metal and cause the control to break later on, especially in the event of a tip over. If there is no way of relocating the controls to where you can reach them comfortably I would suggest searching for a different bike. I know that it can be frustrating to find a bike that fits when you are short, my Wife had the same problem. She cannot reach the forward style controls on most modern cruisers. We ended up finding her a 1995 Yamaha Virago 535 that was in great shape for her first bike. The controls are in a more neutral location where she could reach them easily. Another bike that might fit you well is a Suzuki Intruder 800 or as its called more recently, S50. A friend of mine (5' tall) bought one and just had a little foam shaved out of the seat and she loved it!

Good luck either way!
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Aminal View Post
    Great bike!
    I know a few vertically challenged people who've riden them over the years! This is your first bike so the peg position might be something to get use to rather than mess with, are they forward controls? Don't just "bend" them, do it right and reposition them if you have.
    Cheers
    Thanks guys well problem is i tried so many bikes even low seated ones and this bike is it for me i love it ..if i can't bend them im not sure what to do because the pegs are in the way,i will take them to rosey toes see what he says maybe he can put diff levers on for me that come towards me a bit .
    Your Friends are your Family ..Your Bike is your Best Friend .Throttle That *****!!!! ..(as the hubby says) haha

it isnt a big deal to reposition the pegs and pedals brake and shift. you will need to fabricate some brackets is all. not difficult. do it right do it once and do it so it can be reversed if you sell the bike.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

We need pictures! It's hard to see what exactly you're talking about without them!
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

Quote Originally Posted by Aminal View Post
    We need pictures! It's hard to see what exactly you're talking about without them!
    Cheers
    Aminal
    How's this:

and this:

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Yup, those forward controls are quite a reach for someone inseam challenged. You're gonna need someone to design and fabricate a set of mid controls.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

You can get exploded views of the controls at BikeBandit.com OEM parts.
    Probably going to need custom fabbed stuff unless somebody makes a kit???

Thanks for posting pics Tom I have no idea how to on here lol I can put pics of her up but didnt get any closeups of the levers .The break lever isn't to bad just a tad adjustment ...it's the shifter thats the issue i'll try to figure out how to put pics. Or put them in my album.

Ok i tried to add a pic of her but I only got 3 pics sorry all I don't get her till march I'll try to get more but yes they sould have close ups online somewhere lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my bb2.jpg  

LilMel - I have owned several Suzuki Savages/S40's so the title in your post caught my attention. There are several options that you should look at. The OEM gel seat which is a dealer option, will get you 1 inch lower and move you closer to the front pegs. Some say by as much as 3 inches. It will set you back about $320 CDN but I've seem them on e-bay ranging from $100 to $200 US. There is also a forum dedicated to the
    HTML Code:
    Suzukisavage.com
    and if you post, the members there will give you all sorts of advice on your question. I even remember reading some time ago about plans/instructions on moving the controls back to accommodate those who need it.

I had S40 for 2 years.
    It is great bike and if I was shorter I would probably
    be still riding it. Best upgrade and definitely
    best bang for buck is fork brace. It totally changes
    feel of the front end and after you install it it
    feels like it is on rails.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageLarry View Post
    LilMel - I have owned several Suzuki Savages/S40's so the title in your post caught my attention. There are several options that you should look at. The OEM gel seat which is a dealer option, will get you 1 inch lower and move you closer to the front pegs. Some say by as much as 3 inches. It will set you back about $320 CDN but I've seem them on e-bay ranging from $100 to $200 US. There is also a forum dedicated to the
    HTML Code:
    Suzukisavage.com
    and if you post, the members there will give you all sorts of advice on your question. I even remember reading some time ago about plans/instructions on moving the controls back to accommodate those who need it.
    Wow thankyou so much your awesome!!!!! I will look into this for sure it is the reach that seems to be my issue .I just can't wait to get my baby home lol

I can't find any better pics of the shift lever i'll keep trying but i pretty much know what i have to do

vstar 650 seems to be friendly to vertically challenged people.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    vstar 650 seems to be friendly to vertically challenged people.
    Sat on it lol i must have sat on every bike known to human lol this is the bike for me ...yes i can lower most but even some cruisers were to wide in the tank .....But thats ok untill i can buy my Can Am Spyder this black beauty is all mine .

Quote Originally Posted by LilMel View Post
    Sat on it lol i must have sat on every bike known to human lol this is the bike for me ...
    I take it you're a new rider? I don't blame you for sitting on every bike until you find one where you can plant both feet on the ground, it's a secure feeling.
    With more experience, you might find that won't be a limiting factor in the future. I've seen plenty of shorter people on sky high Adventure style bikes. As long as you can scoot from one side to the other quickly you only need one leg at a time to hold the bike up.
    Saw a really short guy on a CBX (1980 6 cyl. Honda, very wide), he sat to one side to shift gears and then hustle to the other side to use the rear brake. That was funny.

I am glad that you found a bike that works for you. Have a look it the Daytona Lady star boot it will give you an inch of reach.

I look forward to riding with you this spring.

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/d...oots-3263.html

Patricia
    2010 Suzuki GSXR 750
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (gone to a new home)
    2008 GS500F (gone to a new home)
    Milton, ON

Now this is my kind of Savage.

"I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40