Parking / Storing a Bike

Thread: Parking / Storing a Bike

Parking / Storing a Bike

Hey!
    I'm hopefully going to get a Ninja 250r next year after doing my necessary M1 testing and M2 safety course. Meanwhile, I'm just trying to collect as much information as I can.

I live in Ottawa in a condo, so there isn't a garage where I can store the bike at night. My first concern is theft.

I planned to cover the bike with a plain cover and install a disklock (with an alarm that would wake me up if the bike was getting tampered with at night). In your opinion, would this be a feasible way of keeping the bike in the driveway? Are there any more measures I should look into... how do you guys (without garages) do it?

My second concern is storage in the winter. If I properly winterize my bike and use a good cover, would it be okay outside for the whole non-riding season? This year wasn't so bad, but it almost would worry me keeping the bike out with a meter of snow laying on top of the poor baby :P.

I would of course love a garage but I have no access to one. I have thought about asking a friend for storage, but I'd like to leave that sort of dependent-on-others-type-solution as a last resort. Would anyone have any creative suggestions?

So... how do you guys without garages keep the bikes around winter / during overnight parking?

Thanks so much!

Re: Parking / Storing a Bike

Just get theft insurance and don't get too attached. Bikes get stolen, buy a new one and move on. The cover is a good idea as you are buying a bike people want, but a disc lock won't help much. Most stolen bikes get lifted into the back of a van. Personally I have heard enough stories about people trying to drive away with the lock on (myself included) that I no longer use them. As for the alarm, you will hear it, but by the time you get down, it will be gone. Search youtube, they get 600cc bikes which are significantly heavier in the van in like 15 seconds.

If you really want to slow down thieves, a thick hardened chain wrapped through both wheels and through a solid anchor seems to be your best bet. A good chain setup will cost you almost as much as your deductible (and most condo's dont allow you to drill in an anchor). I'm sticking with my original idea of theft insurance and pray.

As far as outside in the winter goes, no big deal. Take out the battery, fill the tank with gas and stabilizer and put on the cover. Try not to store the bike where icicles will fall on it and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

What he said. Bike owners who live in condos are the most paranoid but just have theft insurance and just get a new one if it gets stolen. Also, I'm planning on building a shed this spring to store my bike. It would probably fit 3-4 bikes and I might have a friend's bike in there too. Let me know if your interested in storage for next winter.
    'Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly'

Thanks very much for the reply.

Just get theft insurance and don't get too attached
    This seems like a good idea, but how much would a premium jump up by for this? I know it would be different for every situation, but is it a significant amount?

Kind of sucks that I am interested in a bike that is likely to be stolen... just out of curiosity though, is bike theft rate pretty high around GTA / Ottawa region (I couldn't find too many stats on this even after searching).

As for the alarm, you will hear it, but by the time you get down, it will be gone
    That was my fear, but I also sleep in the room that is right beside the driveway. I guess my idea was to get some sort of alert if anything. But that 15 seconds deal is pretty shocking. Maybe just theft insurance and an okay chain for inner-city parking will suffice (and save me money off a disklock that can be better spent).

Glad to hear it regarding outdoor storage. That's sweet.

Thanks again!

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by americrack View Post
    What he said. Bike owners who live in condos are the most paranoid but just have theft insurance and just get a new one if it gets stolen. Also, I'm planning on building a shed this spring to store my bike. It would probably fit 3-4 bikes and I might have a friend's bike in there too. Let me know if your interested in storage for next winter.
    True that. It is silly that even before getting my license, bike theft is what I am worried about, haha. I do have an okay sized backyard and in fact I had an idea of building / purchasing a shed in/for the backyard but dealing with the condo plus the expense sort of takes away from the flavour.
    I'll definitely keep your offer in mind, thanks. I don't have a bike yet, though.
    Last edited by omee66; 02-24-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Americrack responded as well.

Quote Originally Posted by omee66 View Post
    True that. It is silly that even before getting my license, bike theft is what I am worried about, haha. I do have an okay sized backyard and in fact I had an idea of building / purchasing a shed in/for the backyard but dealing with the condo plus the expense sort of takes away from the flavour.
    I'll definitely keep your offer in mind, thanks. I don't have a bike yet, though.
    Yea. Build it. Its more fun, its more durable and cheaper! Or just move to house with a big garage

I doubt the price of a 250 outweighs the price of a new house with a garage . Haha.

Hey!
    I'm hopefully going to get a Ninja 250r next year after doing my necessary M1 testing and M2 safety course. Meanwhile, I'm just trying to collect as much information as I can.

I live in Ottawa in a condo, so there isn't a garage where I can store the bike at night. My first concern is theft.

I planned to cover the bike with a plain cover and install a disklock (with an alarm that would wake me up if the bike was getting tampered with at night). In your opinion, would this be a feasible way of keeping the bike in the driveway? Are there any more measures I should look into... how do you guys (without garages) do it?

My second concern is storage in the winter. If I properly winterize my bike and use a good cover, would it be okay outside for the whole non-riding season? This year wasn't so bad, but it almost would worry me keeping the bike out with a meter of snow laying on top of the poor baby :P.

I would of course love a garage but I have no access to one. I have thought about asking a friend for storage, but I'd like to leave that sort of dependent-on-others-type-solution as a last resort. Would anyone have any creative suggestions?

So... how do you guys without garages keep the bikes around winter / during overnight parking?

Thanks so much!
    Well, as I'm only 1 season ahead of you this is what I've got to say. i think I know where you're coming from. I live in Toronto without a garage, and no doubt is it congested here. Before I got my bike, I was starting to get paranoid. I was researching disk locks and the works, even that tracking device with gps which costs like 1000$!!! However, after a month of worrying about the bike, and looking outside every once in a while, you lose that paranoia. As long as you get theft insurance, you're good.
    2007 Suzuki Gs500F. Yoshimura edition lol

The GPS doesn't cost $1000. It would in the long run but by the time they 'track the bike', it would be scrapped and might as well buy a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by americrack View Post
    The GPS doesn't cost $1000. It would in the long run but by the time they 'track the bike', it would be scrapped and might as well buy a new bike.
    Just double checked. The tracking system I was talking about is called lowjack. It costs roughly 600$ usd. A bit off, both nonetheless really expensive.
    2007 Suzuki Gs500F. Yoshimura edition lol

The wonderful think about a 250, is that they aren't as desirable to theives as an SS. Why take the risk on on something with a small reward when right down the street is something worth 3 times as much.

tonnes of theads on here about people having there bikes stolen, and i can't recall any being a 250

Actually, that was a part of my inquiry.

I wasn't sure if the newer Ninja 250s were considered desirable. I mean they look pretty slick, but I suppose to experienced people (and thieves) they may be not worth the hassle.

Glad to know that, thanks. I think it would still be worthwhile to get theft insurance because, as far as I know, it wont be that much and will give me the piece of mind. But I can use some of the money put aside for an expensive lock (that would be overkill) and maybe use it towards gear.

Thanks.

for sure.. always get the insurance just in case. never say never.

Hey!
    Where in O-town do you live? Theft rates in Ottawa are also a LOT lower than here in Toronto, but that being said, we did have a few bicycles stolen when I was living on Riverside. I won't worry too much. Get insurance that covers theft, and if you lose it, well... insurance covers you so no biggie.

I'm around Blair area.

I guess the next logical question would be: how bad is the theft in Toronto?

I'm around Blair area.

I guess the next logical question would be: how bad is the theft in Toronto?
    It all depends on where you live, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be IMHO.

Blair is nice, a few of my friends were renting places out there and never had a problem with the area. Vanier on the other hand... .

The only theft story I heard of when I was in Ottawa was from a friend in Sandy Hills who was broken into three times in a year.

Anyways, the general consensus is that no matter how much security you put on your bike, if a thief really wants it, they WILL take it. Your biggest problem is the random person that tries to screw with your bike and a cover and disc lock with alarm would definitely do the trick to keep/scare them away.

+1 on theft insurance. Forget everything else (alarms, locks, etc.) 15 seconds and that baby is gone. Theft insurance is your best bet.

When winter comes, find a shop in your area that does winter storage. I personally wouldn't leave a bike outside over winter with nothing but a cover.

Happy Riding!

If the thiefs REALLY want your bike, there's no way for you to stop them (unless you keep an eye on it 24/7). Like the others said, get theft insurance and you're golden.

Plus, a bike is a piece of machine, it'll be okay if you leave it outside with a cover on.