Buying First bike: Where to buy from - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying First bike: Where to buy from

Re: Buying First bike: Where to buy from

Just as an example, link666 just brought one in (a new '09). Costs were:
    TFX shipping $550
    Brokerage fee $235
    RIV fee $246

And that's letting someone else take care of all (or the bulk of) the hassles for you.

Thread here: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...e+honda&page=1
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

The dealer does not have to do the first service to keep the warranty valid.
    They would like you to think that but contact the manufacturer directly to find out the truth.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by elkymutt View Post
    Here's another way to look at it...

A bike generally depreciates the most from BRAND NEW. If you buy brand new you are paying the highest possible price for it. You ride it, learn a bit, get spooked and then don't like riding anymore.

The bike has depreciated the most (depending on who buys it and how informed they are).

Now you want to get rid of it and it turns out you lost a couple grand (give or take). A used bike already has the biggest depreciation hit built into the price...

Let's not forget the MUST DO 1st service. Probably another $150ish at least. lol. (gotta keep that warranty valid)

If you buy used, you take a smaller hit, sell it(be patient) and get out without as big a loss...

If you like riding, hey, you survived that 1st year, and now you can really go for the bike you really wanted from last year (used).

Now that I look back, I wasted alot of money buying new.

That's just me
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    The dealer does not have to do the first service to keep the warranty valid.
    They would like you to think that but contact the manufacturer directly to find out the truth.

Donald
    In that case I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up...

Yeah I'm in Mississauga.
    I'll check out Kahuna.....

SO if I'm buying used off somebody: I would need from that person: Ownership, and preferably that its certified? Then I can bring to ministry to transfer ownership and get it plated?

Who is legally allowed to certify bikes and how much does it cost? How long do the certification papers last?

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Dude, both V-Stars and Shadows come with saddle bags/backrest/windshield, if you want them to.
    Are you in the GTA?
    They have a lot of small cruisers at Kahuna starting at ~$2999, and many other lightly-used models below $5 grand.
    Regards
    Reason I want to buy off someone that has bags/windshield and backrest already with the bike is because I'd get those accessories practically free with the bike.

IF I had to buy them after getting just the bike, it'd probably cost over $1000 or so, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    Reason I want to buy off someone that has bags/windshield and backrest already with the bike is because I'd get those accessories practically free with the bike.

IF I had to buy them after getting just the bike, it'd probably cost over $1000 or so, no?
    Now you got it...

Aftermarket add ons don't usually increase the value of a bike. (I personally would rather buy a bike as close to stock as possible). Most bikes that are near stock fetch the highest resale prices. The bike hasn't been messed/tampered/f'd with. No ghey blue l.e.d. lights, or cheese flushmounts or spiked purple anodized fairing/windscreen bolts, etc, etc, etc...

Kajiji

Update:

Went to Ready Honda Powerhouse, GP Bikes, and Kahuna

Ready Honda had a good selection of both used and new bikes
    Kahuna didn't have anything I wanted used, but I priced out a couple of 1100cc vstars with norm. They are an option, as a new 09 v star is between 10-12 000, taxes and everything in (depending if I want silverado package or not)

GP had the bike that I think I want. 2001 Shadow Sabre, only 9000 km. Will cost approx 6500.

It's just hard to justify spending 6500 on a 9 yr old bike, when I can buy brand new for a few k more.... I suppose I can sell this sabre for close to what I payed for it though....

You're looking at it as a few thousand more...
    The other way of looking at it is: the difference is roughly 54% to 85% more.

Suddenly sounds like a lot don't it?

Can't really answer what's better for you though. I will say that my last bike, I could've bought a model a couple years old with 20k km for 25% less, but I bought new. In hindsight I regret it, but that doesn't mean you will/won't. Best of luck and ride safe whatever your decision.