Awesome Quote from STATEFARM! - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Awesome Quote from STATEFARM!

Re: Awesome Quote from STATEFARM!

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    State Farm is UNDERCHARGING on SuperSport bikes for new riders. SuperSport bikes and new riders do not belong together, which is why most rational insurance companies charge them so much. The premium is generally in the $1000's because the expected injury claims from new riders on SS bikes is astronomical.

Please read:
    http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45571
    State Farm does not care if your bike is designated SS. .... Their rates are based on engine size. Of course your age and driving record come into play, but bottom line is that aside from personal info affecting your rates... its engine size that matters to State Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by apstndp View Post
    Viffer, correct me if I am wrong but even in the event of claim, insurance companies never pay the real value(specially stolen or health issue) usually an insurance adjuster will get in touch with u and lowball you or cut corners to minimize the payout.
    From the experience I and my family/friends have had with a few different insurance companies (State Farm included), the company's original offer was beyond reasonable. I have been VERY pleased with the claims experience of the following companies:

• Jevco
    • State Farm
    • Pilot
    • Aviva
    • Dominion
    • Wawanesa
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by MassNutrition View Post
    Dude, you need to call SF and see if they will sell you some CHILL PILLS with your policy. Relax...

...and if you go back and read each of my threads here, I never said ONCE that you should pay more. I (and Viffer, and others) have tried to make you understand WHY some insurance companies charge the way they do. Nothing more. And what the thinking process is of SF to charge the way THEY do. Geeez...

I'm insured with SF too, just for the record.
    no harm no foul man....im not trying to step on anyones toes...i just started this thread to let everyone know i had a good experience with SF and got a great quote...then all hell broke loose...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLKHEINZ View Post
    no harm no foul man....im not trying to step on anyones toes...i just started this thread to let everyone know i had a good experience with SF and got a great quote...then all hell broke loose...LOL!
    All insurance prices aside, you should really reconsider your choice for a first bike, since that was the point I was really trying to make. I suggest you look at something smaller for the first year and then move up next summer if you feel you are ready and really need it.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

All insurance prices aside, you should really reconsider your choice for a first bike, since that was the point I was really trying to make. I suggest you look at something smaller for the first year and then move up next summer if you feel you are ready and really need it.
    Thanks for your concern but i have many years of riding experience and as i said no matter how fun or exciting the bike may be, Im always safe and carefull, I will definately be putting plenty of easy going riding km on the bike to get well acquainted with it....i know they arent called crotch rockets for nothing, thats why i used my head and bought a 600 and not a 750 or 1000......my original idea was to go for the gusto and get a 1000 now as i will more then likely want one in a season or 2.....

Quote Originally Posted by ALLKHEINZ View Post
    Thanks for your concern but i have many years of riding experience and as i said no matter how fun or exciting the bike may be, Im always safe and carefull, I will definately be putting plenty of easy going riding km on the bike to get well acquainted with it....i know they arent called crotch rockets for nothing, thats why i used my head and bought a 600 and not a 750 or 1000......my original idea was to go for the gusto and get a 1000 now as i will more then likely want one in a season or 2.....
    I forgot about the MX experience, but street riding offers its own set of hazards, namely GTA car-driving idiots. Starting on a 600SS is bad enough, but going straight to a litre bike would be downright dangerous. I don't understand why everyone assumes that they will outgrow their bike like a 12yo outgrows his pants. In these situations, it is usually the rider's ego that has outgrown the bike, not their skill set.

With your MX experience, you are much better off than the average new rider, but do keep a level head and watch out for the crazies on the road who are out to kill you.

No offense to OP but SF sucks... they will be more than happy to take your money until you need to make a clam.. then they will be up you a hole... also OP first SS and you planing on 600.. Dirt bike ridding and SS riding is not the same.. More idiotic cagers in the road...

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBoy View Post
    No offense to OP but SF sucks... they will be more than happy to take your money until you need to make a clam.. then they will be up you a hole... also OP first SS and you planing on 600.. Dirt bike ridding and SS riding is not the same.. More idiotic cagers in the road...
    That might be your State Farm experience, but I have heard quite the opposite from friends who have needed to make a claim through them. Your individual experience might depend on the claims adjuster that you get.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBoy View Post
    yes totally agree with you on the 2 being different, but i could break my neck just as easily maybe easier on a 500cc mx then on the street, i do realize that its not how good i rider i may be but how crappy others are around me.....i think any street rider takes that chance and thats why i keep saying that i drive for a living which forces me to behave, if i were to get a stunting or street racing ticket i could pretty much kiss my job goodbye so that alone helps keep me in check.....I have a Viper, a C6 Z06 and a 10 Shelby GT500 in my collection and they are animals that want to stretch their legs any chance they can, ive managed to resist the temptation and just run the cars at Cayuga to get it outta my system...totally appreciate everyones heads up though and stressing how dangerous it will be, at least i will be going into this hobby with my eyes and ears wide open and it will definately encourage me to always be aware when im riding....

To OP I think StateFarm is great too. I got insurance quotes up to $16,000 a year from other companies. I didn't even think I would be able to get a bike untill I read a post from someone who had the same attributes as me. Under 25, first bike, M1, 600cc.

I pay $4,500 a year and I am thankful that StateFarm insures me. Or else I wouldn't be riding. Or be riding with some not-so-legit insurance.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedEx View Post
    To OP I think StateFarm is great too. I got insurance quotes up to $16,000 a year from other companies. I didn't even think I would be able to get a bike untill I read a post from someone who had the same attributes as me. Under 25, first bike, M1, 600cc.

I pay $4,500 a year and I am thankful that StateFarm insures me. Or else I wouldn't be riding. Or be riding with some not-so-legit insurance.

Cheers
    So you're saying that you wouldn't have even considered a smaller (and more suitable) bike to learn on? The premiums for M1 riders with a SS are very high for a reason . . .

Cheers
    $4,500 of your after tax dollars going towards insurance - holy crap.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    My thoughts as well. Insurance SHOULD be ridiculous for M1 riders on a SS bike, but it seems like some people are willing to pay the price to ride one anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    Wow, it is sad to see people giving up their passion due to insurance. I see many people, everyday that are "giving up" their bikes due to insurance rates. Even if they did start with a 250, and have had experience, and are over the age of 25. Including me most likely bikeless this year.

Maybe I could take up golfing? Anyone want to join?

Quote Originally Posted by Hytham Bayoumi View Post
    Wow, it is sad to see people giving up their passion due to insurance.
    Being passionate about riding does not mean that you have to ride a 600CC+ SS on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Hytham Bayoumi View Post
    I see many people, everyday that are "giving up" their bikes due to insurance rates. Even if they did start with a 250, and have had experience, and are over the age of 25. Including me most likely bikeless this year.
    If you are over 25yo and have some experience, insurance rates shouldn't be too bad. I am over 25yo and haven't seen my SS rate rise with State Farm by more than 5% a year. You should expect that your rates will rise by at least 5% every year, just like any other product/service. Sad to say, but if someone can't afford annual inflation increases to their insurance rates, then they probably can't afford their bike to begin with.

...SS rate rise with State Farm by more than 5% a year. You should expect that your rates will rise by at least 5% every year, just like any other product/service. Sad to say, but if someone can't afford annual inflation increases to their insurance rates, then they probably can't afford their bike to begin with.

Well said. I have a question though: When does this gradual increase of 5% every year stop? It must... somewhere. And at which point does it lower again... my age? Age of my bike? Riding experience?

Thanks Viffer, your knowledge is welcomed.
    ~~Emilio~~

'98 Suzuki GSX-R750: Sold
    '02 Yamaha R1: Sold
    '06 Suzuki GSX-R1000 CUSTOM: Current
    '08 Suzuki GSX-R750: Current

Being passionate about riding does not mean that you have to ride a 600CC+ SS on the street.
    Thats true, its all I know, its all I have ever really been around, but maybe its time to explore other options. Was looking at SV650s the other day.

If you are over 25yo and have some experience, insurance rates shouldn't be too bad. I am over 25yo and haven't seen my SS rate rise with State Farm by more than 5% a year. You should expect that your rates will rise by at least 5% every year, just like any other product/service. Sad to say, but if someone can't afford annual inflation increases to their insurance rates, then they probably can't afford their bike to begin with.
    The reason my prices are high, its because I have 2 tickets sitting on my record...one of which will be coming off in a few months so that may change my situation, but we'll see, but yea I agree with what your saying. A lot of people want it so bad they will do anything, when sometimes you just gotta wait it out.

Under 25, first bike, M1, 600cc.
    the hidden message from that quote:
    "YOUNG WITH LITTLE OR NO EXPERIENCE? GET A CROTCH ROCKET AS YOUR FIRST BIKE SO THAT WE CAN GOUGE YOU."

If your under 25 shouldn't be riding a SS in first place. I just got my renewal from StateFarm. 1350 full coverage on a 05 CBR 600rr no titles no claims I'm a 29 year old male living in upper beaches area.

Quote Originally Posted by MassNutrition View Post
    Well said. I have a question though: When does this gradual increase of 5% every year stop? It must... somewhere. And at which point does it lower again... my age? Age of my bike? Riding experience?

Thanks Viffer, your knowledge is welcomed.
    At what point will the price of chocolate bars stop increasing? When my father was 13yo, a chocolate bar was $0.10, and now they are about $0.85. Inflation is a fact a life . . . as time goes on, the prices of goods and services increase, and hopefully your salary does as well.

The 5% that I stated is completely arbitrary -- in some years rates can decrease, while in other years rates can increase by more than 5%. In the long run, however, if one were to average out the increases and the decreases, you would probably arrive at an increase that runs a couple of percentage points higher than the rate of inflation (since injury claims inflate much faster than other products/services).

If there is a shift in claim behaviour (such as increased litigation, increased claim frequency, etc.) this can cause rates to rise rather quickly, such as the case of the GTA. A legislative change that limits claims can cause rates to decrease, such as the case of Alberta and the cap on minor tissue injuries.

People have this notion that their rate should decrease every year that they remain claims free, but this is only true until you have reached the "low risk" status. In general, a "low risk" is someone who is over the age of 25yo (or 30yo with some companies), has not made a claim in six years, and has no convictions in the last three years. Once you attain this status, your risk profile cannot get any better short of moving to a less risky neighbourhood. Since your risk profile is not getting any better (since you have maxed out), then you will only see inflationary increases on your premium without the risk improvement decreases.