State Farm = Cheapest?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Farm = Cheapest?

State Farm = Cheapest?

My rider friend told me that State farm is the cheapest to get the insurance on motorcycles? Is this true?

I am a recent new rider, and just bought my first bike - could someone help me get a rough idea of how much I can expect per month for my bike insurance?

25 years of age (turning 26 this year)
    1.5 years with my "G" license
    No accidents, no tickets (only by-law tickets that I'm fighting right now)

I will be driving a 2009 Ninja 250r black (Approx. 3,000 clicks) - purchased used.

Thanks guys,

Yours To Discover. New Techno Old School Retro. The Yamaha FZ1.

Re: State Farm = Cheapest?

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai View Post
    My rider friend told me that State farm is the cheapest to get the insurance on motorcycles? Is this true?

I am a recent new rider, and just bought my first bike - could someone help me get a rough idea of how much I can expect per month for my bike insurance?

I will be driving a 2009 Ninja 250r black (Approx. 3,000 clicks) - purchased used.

Thanks guys,
    I'm with State Farm but they also have my house and cars which makes it cheaper for the bike but I'm also way over 25 with full M since I was 17 yrs old. No tickets

You said you have your G, but you do know you need an M license? You may want to check Jevco as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trini2Dbone View Post
    I'm with State Farm but they also have my house and cars which makes it cheaper for the bike but I'm also way over 25 with full M since I was 17 yrs old. No tickets

You said you have your G, but you do know you need an M license? You may want to check Jevco as well.
    Oops, sorry - maybe I should've added this detail:

I also only have my M2 license (recently got it). Thanks!

Yours To Discover. New Techno Old School Retro. The Yamaha FZ1.

There are a few insurance guroos (sp) here and I'm sure they'll chime in tomorrow during the day. Good luck.

They have the best rates I've found so far. I'm 27, with an m2, and no accidents either, so I'm close to your situation. You need to insure a car with them though. Without one the bike rate will go up. At least that's what my situation was. Statefarm will also let you pay monthly over 12 months I believe. Jevco's quote was a bit cheaper than Statefarm, but while you don't need to insure a car with them, you do need to pay it all upfront.

Weird thing though, is Statefarm quoted my car at almost twice as much as I'm currently paying with TD. I don't really know why. I'm probably going to go with Jevco though.

State Farm is cheapest for super sports, for something like the 250 I'm betting Jevco will be your best bet. Having said that if you bring your car over to State Farm too the bike will be cheaper, but the car will likely be more than what you have now.

I'm 25 with a 2001 Ninja 250. State Farm was cheaper than Jevco if I brought my civic over, but the Civic price was way higher than what I'm paying now.

I've been really happy with Jevco, rates cut in half after one year experience, and you can usually pay 3 or 4 payments (depends on your broker I think).

My renewal is ~800 bucks/year for full coverage, around 600 for liability only I think.
    (started at 1700/year full coverage a few years ago, under 25 with no experience).
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B2
    2001 Kawasaki EX250-H (SOLD)

State Farm is not the cheapest in all situations. They are usually the cheapest if:

• You are riding a Sport bike with 600cc +
    • You have had your M1/M2 motorcycle license less than a year, but you have been driving a car for 5+ years.

If you are not riding a Sport and you have had your bike license over a year, Jevco might give a better rate.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    • You have had your M1/M2 motorcycle license less than a year, but you have been driving a car for 5+ years.

This doesn't include G1 I'm assuming?
    'Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly'

Quote Originally Posted by americrack View Post
    [/LIST]
    This doesn't include G1 I'm assuming?
    This actually does include your time licensed with your G1 (up to a maximum of one year). For example, someone who has had their G1 for two years and G2 for one year would be considered as having two years of experience.

There are many factors that determine your rate, and Driving Record (i.e. Years Licensed without an at-fault claim) is just one of them. The unique situation with State Farm is that they consider time licensed with either a car or a bike to be the same, where as most other companies keep a separate Driving Record for your auto and your bike. Consider this example:

Mike just got his M1. He got his G1 four years ago and his G2 two years ago. With State Farm, his motorcycle Driving Record would be a 3*. With most competitors, his motorcycle Driving Record would be a 0*.

For this reason, State Farm often has competitive rates for people who have been driving for a while, but just getting into motorcycles. With State Farm, I believe your best discount is achieved when your Driving Record reaches a 5* or 6*. Jevco's motorcycle Driving Record caps out at 1*, so the new riders on non-sport bikes with one or more years of experience can often get a better rate through Jevco rather than State Farm.
    Last edited by VifferFun; 02-22-2010 at 01:20 PM.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Is Avi the one to talk to about getting a policy with Jevco?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistero2009 View Post
    Is Avi the one to talk to about getting a policy with Jevco?
    Yes . . . you can contact him because he is a broker for Jevco.

Thanks Viffer.
    'Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly'

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiusont View Post
    They have the best rates I've found so far. I'm 27, with an m2, and no accidents either, so I'm close to your situation. You need to insure a car with them though. Without one the bike rate will go up. At least that's what my situation was. Statefarm will also let you pay monthly over 12 months I believe. Jevco's quote was a bit cheaper than Statefarm, but while you don't need to insure a car with them, you do need to pay it all upfront.

Weird thing though, is Statefarm quoted my car at almost twice as much as I'm currently paying with TD. I don't really know why. I'm probably going to go with Jevco though.
    Actually you do not need to pay up front with Jevco. There is a payment plan available. If you have a super sport model bike and qualify State Farm will likely be your best bet. For all other bikes Jevco, among other insurers will often be better.
    Free Bike Insurance Quotes
    John R. Duffy Insurance Brokers Limited
    Insuring Motorcycles since 1963
    Toronto - (905)479-2013
    Outside Toronto - Toll Free 1-866-383-3957

Thanks guys,
    statefarm is is not always the cheapest. Out of 5 brokers I called statefarm for me was the most expensive. 24 male m1

Quote Originally Posted by zibzer View Post
    statefarm is is not always the cheapest. Out of 5 brokers I called statefarm for me was the most expensive. 24 male m1
    So out of curiousity - how much do you pay per annum and with which company?

I will be calling a broker sometime this month - as I will be starting to ride by April or so =/

So far from what I've read from veteran rider's is that Jevco would be my best bet. State Farm would be better for later on when I've accrued more experience.

So out of curiousity - how much do you pay per annum and with which company?

I will be calling a broker sometime this month - as I will be starting to ride by April or so =/

So far from what I've read from veteran rider's is that Jevco would be my best bet. State Farm would be better for later on when I've accrued more experience.
    Jevco is great if you have had your motorcycle license for at least one full year and do not ride a SS.

State Farm is great if you ride a SS.

State Farm is great if you have your G, been G1/G2/G licensed for 5+ years, just got your M1, and are riding a SS or Cruiser.

State Farm sucks if you have been M1/M2 licensed for over a year and ride a Cruiser.

State Farm bases their rates on displacement, so they're good for 600's compared to other companies which will put those bikes in a higher bracket, and they're great for 250's. At 25 years old I'm paying 50 a month for my 08 250.

Quote Originally Posted by cruuzn View Post
    State Farm bases their rates on displacement, so they're good for 600's compared to other companies which will put those bikes in a higher bracket, and they're great for 250's. At 25 years old I'm paying 50 a month for my 08 250.
    They are not necessarily great for 250's -- I believe Jevco will usually offer a better rate provided you have at least one year of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    They are not necessarily great for 250's -- I believe Jevco will usually offer a better rate provided you have at least one year of experience.
    Ah, I suppose that's possible. SF provided me the best rate when I was a new rider under 25.

Quote Originally Posted by cruuzn View Post
    Ah, I suppose that's possible. SF provided me the best rate when I was a new rider under 25.
    If you haven't shopped around since, I suggest you give a Jevco broker a try . . . on a 250R, there is a good chance that they will be cheaper.