Narrow front tire vs fat front tire

Thread: Narrow front tire vs fat front tire

Narrow front tire vs fat front tire

So I am upgrading to a bigger cruiser this summer from my starter bike.....Star/Virago 250. I am considering the Kawi Vulcan 900. I see that the custom comes with a narrow front tire while the classic comes in with a fat front tire. In terms of ridability (is this even a legit word?), whats the difference between the two? Under what conditions or circumstances is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Narrow front tire vs fat front tire

in alot cases with cruisers because of their limited handling prowess due to lack of useable ground clearance it is really just a matter of styling. most cases it is the relation between front and rear tire sizes that really makes a difference in handling, but generally the wider front tire will aid in handling more than a tall skinny front tire will.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Thanks roadhmr.

So let me re-phrase the question; given that both the custom and the classic come with the same rear tire, how would the tall, narrow tire compare to the smaller, fat front tire...which I think is the same as the rear....in relation to the rear tire?

Thanks.

depending on how dramatically different the sizing is it may make the bike feel like it is dropping off of a cliff when leaning into a turn. you know when guys put those big tire kits on their bikes this is often a side effect of doing this. it would be most apparent on a bike with a huge tire differential liek a 16 inch 300 tire on the back and a 21 inch skinny up front.
    it is different on cruisers than sport bikes as their rake is so different and trail is different.
    what are the tire sizes respectfully for both models?
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

I've rode both the custom and classic 1100 v-star and like the handling of the Classic better.

The frame geometry has more to do with the handling than the rim diameter

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by kmawani View Post
    Thanks roadhmr.

So let me re-phrase the question; given that both the custom and the classic come with the same rear tire, how would the tall, narrow tire compare to the smaller, fat front tire...which I think is the same as the rear....in relation to the rear tire?

Thanks.
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    I've rode both the custom and classic 1100 v-star and like the handling of the Classic better.

The frame geometry has more to do with the handling than the rim diameter

Donald
    that is true but not so much in this situation as the frames are probably very similar if not the same. it is very typical of japanese manufacturers to only have minor changes to create a styling difference in their models to keep costs down. i would think that there would be little difference if any in the handling with maybe a slight advantage given to the classic with the fat tire.
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

So what about riding straightline or turning? Are smaller, fatter tires better for turning or are the larger narrow ones better? And vice-versa....are larger, narrow tires better for straighline riding or the smaller fatter ones better in this case.

Thanks to you both you gentlemen for replying.

I have extended seat time on a Virago 1100 (12yrs+) and a Vulcan 1500 (4yrs). One has a skinny tire and the other a fat tire. The Virago has way more ground clearance, but here is my opinion. I found that the skinny tire handled better. It felt quicker and more sure footed in the corners. The fatter tire gave a smoother ride (soaked up bumps better) but provided less feed back. That being said, the difference was not drastic. I would say pick the one you like the look of the best. Its a cruiser, they are not meant to be ridden to the ragged edge.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

i would agree that the performance gains or losses will be only slight. it would probably become a matter of personal preference and of course styling more than anything.
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback.....I appreciate it. I think I have enough info here to make a decision.

Thanks to all of you again.

Cheers!

I have the custom. I dont have alot of experience with different bikes but I do find this one sort of awkward when doing u turns. The front wheel gets a bit choppy on me from time to time. Its not as smooth as my old v-star. However, in pretty much all other scenarios the bike handles very well.

The skinny tire is really just a gimmick. I would actually prefer a larger tire with more traction, and was originally intending on buying the classic, but when I saw the two bikes side by side I went with the custom. It just looked better.

The 900 will knock your socks off compared to your 250. Its not exactly a macho bike but it has alot of power, relatively speaking - enough for all my needs anyway. It made my v-star 650 feel like a fat bicycle. Enjoy it
    Last edited by Buddhacide; 02-24-2010 at 10:45 PM.
    Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

A fatter tire will give you a larger contact patch. Is often a good thing except when the weight isn't there to take advantage of it (think skis vs shoes). should also add to a nicer ride.
    x

there still wont be much difference in the handling characteristics for this particular style of bike. the differences are really just aesthetic. pick the one you like to look at the best and get out there and enjoy! the only way you will regret either purchase is if you dont ride it as often as you can!
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Talk to Torren . He is a member here and owns an 08 kawi 900 c . He would tell you all about it.

Well i'd say i'm qualified; whether my opinion is any good is, well ....
    I've owned a VStar 1100, RoadStar, Vulcan 900 Custom, and now a Boulevard C50. All nice bikes for their purposes. I found though that the narrow front tire on the Vulcan make the ride rather choppy and had a me feeling rather unstable in rough pavement conditions. I really liked the looks, but compared to the other bikes i've owned, the thin tire was the least desireable.

I did like the bike though so for me, i'd get the bike and upgrade the rim/tire to a 2.25" x 21 and squeeze a 120 on it - that is if you have an extra G-note.

Unhappy Re: Narrow front tire vs fat front tire

Quote Originally Posted by kmawani View Post
    So I am upgrading to a bigger cruiser this summer from my starter bike.....Star/Virago 250. I am considering the Kawi Vulcan 900. I see that the custom comes with a narrow front tire while the classic comes in with a fat front tire. In terms of ridability (is this even a legit word?), whats the difference between the two? Under what conditions or circumstances is one better than the other?
    Thanks in advance.
    I have ridden both the Kawi 900 Classic, and the 900 Custom.
    The biggest difference is: if you want Classic, you get spokes.
    If you don't want spokes (which is anyone sane) you get 21" Custom front wheel.
    So it's kinda unfortunate...
    The tire in question is 90/90-21, if memory serves.
    This size has been around forever and works surprisingly well, strangely.
    The small size heats up quickly, which is important, and is entirely adequate for any kind of riding these bikes could accomplish.
    With a bigger, heavier 21" front tire you'll get substantial flywheel effect, and less pleasant steering and handling characteristics...
    Bigger cruiser models with more weight (and bigger rear rubber) can pull off a larger 21" tire size better.
    But it's mostly for appearance!
    Personally I hate that look (but I hate spokes, too) so... it's a tough one.
    Fantastic bikes though - otherwise almost perfect.
    Regards
    Old Ninja, runs good.