Is going to university worth it? - Page 3

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is going to university worth it?

Re: Is going to university worth it?

I never felt the purpose of school and why my parents hammered it into me until a year or 2 ago. I realized that w/ an education u can carry a good conversation with someone or understand things around you better.
    Resident Loudmouth

^^ agree

post secondary education is like a foundational tool. its like saying "why would I stay in Grade 12 when I can make $25/hour at a steel mill"

granted, every city needs its steel mill workers, but BASIC education (high school + undergrad) isn't something that you can really calculate ROI on. its an experience, it teaches you to think, and it exposes you to ideas/people you wouldn't otherwise consider.
    1995 F3 - Sold
    Gods dont kill people. People with Gods kill people.
    – David Viaen

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by nfq View Post
    Ever consider one of the newer type joint programs? like Humber-Guelph? Seneca-York? or whoever else?

Get your College diploma, then for a couple more years, earn a degree as well. If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd take the College-Uni approach. Something to consider. I found it hard to go back to school once you're out (wife, kids, mortgage....)
    I did, actually...but I don't have the mind for it. It's a lot of science.

If I could do one of those programs, I'd definitely be set.

Oh well...I guess you gotta work with what you have, right?

University is worth it if you land your dream job or making a ******** of cash or if it feeds your family... 'nuff said.
    Last edited by LiNK666; 02-20-2010 at 07:53 AM.

It depends what you take from it

I went to university.
    I'm not in my designated field but I own 2 businesses and use alot of the knowledge I aquired from school everyday!
    My diploma is displayed proudly where all my clients can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercupprincess View Post
    It depends what you take from it

I went to university.
    I'm not in my designated field but I own 2 businesses and use alot of the knowledge I aquired from school everyday!
    My diploma is displayed proudly where all my clients can see.
    what business?

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    what business?
    You didnt watch the video LOL
    I'm designated an Industrial Designer

Own a floral design company - Last night we were soldering a structure for Canada Blooms

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals!

Sometimes I think that, if I only went to University, I may have a better job than I do now. But then again, I work in a highly technical field in a supervisory position. Most of the guys that work under me have Mechanical Engineering degrees, and where did it get them? Now they get yelled at by me, a guy with a community college diploma in communications!

It's funny, though. For some reason, at my company, people with real education either make $25 - $30 hour (skilled tradesmen, engineers, etc), or are waaaaay up there in pay (VPs and such). Middle management people like me, with no education (my job has nothing to do with what I took in college) all make between the two extremes.

Don't get me wrong, though. My mind is always thirsting for new stuff to learn; I love to read about history in particular. If I ever win the lottery, I will finally have the time to go to University strictly for the knowledge, that would be awesome!
    Finally, EDDERS HAS COME BACK to GTA Motorcycle! \m/\>.</\m/

aka Dirty Ed of the Gas Guzzlers MC
    http://www.ratbike.org/motorcycho/outlawname.php

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercupprincess View Post
    You didnt watch the video LOL
    I'm designated an Industrial Designer

Own a floral design company - Last night we were soldering a structure for Canada Blooms
    I try to drown up 75% of the stuff I see here and avoid seeing 25% of the stuff.

Canada blooms?

Some of the most brilliant and interesting people I know went to university.
    Some of the dumbest people I know went to university.

Going to higher education (be it university or college) can open up a new world of opportunity to you. What you want from it is up to you.

depends on your career path.

university helps advance analytical/writing skills, where college gives you practical experience.
    The funk. The jive. The boogie. The rock and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Edders View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys and gals!

Sometimes I think that, if I only went to University, I may have a better job than I do now. But then again, I work in a highly technical field in a supervisory position. Most of the guys that work under me have Mechanical Engineering degrees, and where did it get them? Now they get yelled at by me, a guy with a community college diploma in communications!

It's funny, though. For some reason, at my company, people with real education either make $25 - $30 hour (skilled tradesmen, engineers, etc), or are waaaaay up there in pay (VPs and such). Middle management people like me, with no education (my job has nothing to do with what I took in college) all make between the two extremes.

Don't get me wrong, though. My mind is always thirsting for new stuff to learn; I love to read about history in particular. If I ever win the lottery, I will finally have the time to go to University strictly for the knowledge, that would be awesome!
    Whether a university degree is worth it or not I find it amusing there are so many people like yourself who think they are special for supervising someone with a university degree thinking that it has anything to do with their education.

The truth is that people hate to see or hear there is more opportunity put there for people with higher education.

One thing I noticed when I worked for a large oil company is that sure people with none university degrees recieved some supervisory roles but it really limited them from moving into upper management roles.

Quote Originally Posted by unowned View Post
    That's because engineers don't specialize in IT support. Likewise, the engineer is doing the wrong line of work if he is building desktop machines (if this was for servers, that would be a different matter).

I work at IBM as well, on my team, we don't have any college grads, we work in between software development and sales. There are certain fields of study that are more tuned towards college education. For example, the media/design folks mostly come from college educated backgrounds...as far as i know, i don't know a single software developer in IBM from a college discipline.
    wow. Lots of IBMers here! Look forward to seeing that moto lot full in the summer!
    Mikey-D - Ottawa

"And yes, this is a site for people who ride bikes. But we don't ride bikes on this site. You can't ride a bike on the internet. On this site, we WRITE and READ about motorcycles." --Duster929

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    I find it amusing there are so many people like yourself who think they are special for supervising someone with a university degree thinking that it has anything to do with their education.

The truth is that people hate to see or hear there is more opportunity put there for people with higher education.

One thing I noticed when I worked for a large oil company is that, sure, people without university degrees received some supervisory roles but it really limited them from moving into upper management roles.
    I didn't mean to come off like that, so there's no need to get yourself all worked up. I was saying that people above and below me are university educated. I don't think I'm any better than university educated folks; I don't think I'm better than anyone below or above me. We're all humans, and employees here to do a job.

And I wouldn't say that not having a degree limits one's growth potential, but having a degree certainly doesn't hurt your chances. The top dog of a company usually has his MBA, CA, CGA, and other such alphabets. But there's always a guy from the shop floor who ends up at the oak boardroom table, and who's real-world knowledge is always considered.

I am considering going back to school, though. What I'm thinking is to save enough money to be able to live off a part-time job, while I learn something at school that might actually be interesting.

And besides, my ambitions are not that high. I just want to be able to afford for my family, and at least a car and bike for myself
    Finally, EDDERS HAS COME BACK to GTA Motorcycle! \m/\>.</\m/

aka Dirty Ed of the Gas Guzzlers MC
    http://www.ratbike.org/motorcycho/outlawname.php

And besides, my ambitions are not that high. I just want to be able to afford for my family, and at least a car and bike for myself
    Problem is that you don't know what the future holds. You may need all the degrees you can get just to meet what you think are modest objectives.

It's much safer to have too much education.
    * It's about safety, stupid.

And I wouldn't say that not having a degree limits one's growth potential, but having a degree certainly doesn't hurt your chances. The top dog of a company usually has his MBA, CA, CGA, and other such alphabets. But there's always a guy from the shop floor who ends up at the oak boardroom table, and who's real-world knowledge is always considered.
    I think the oak boardroom table at big companies are surrounded by folks with degrees.

!
    are these guys new grads? cause that is alot lower than the average for someone with a few years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    My only beef with university is that these days, it's seen as the "superior" option, and a lot of jobs won't even give you notice unless you have a Bachelor's degree in something. That's just stupid. I blame the media...as always. I don't know why, though.
    I'm kinda glad that positions like doctors need a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    I'm kinda glad that positions like doctors need a degree.
    who needs them!!

Do It Yourself Laser Eye Surgery Kit for $100

The hand-held “excimer laser” purportedly performs a two-step procedure, first cutting a small flap in the cornea of your eye, the second vaporises a small section of the lens. It’s claimed that the whole procedure is virtually painless, but there’s a footnote pointing out that the Food and Drug Administration hasn’t yet evaluated that claim.

The DIY kit costs 100 USD and comes with the following:
    A Scal-Pal hand-operated excimer combination laser.
    A mild sedative.
    Eye drops to prevent blinking.
    A quick start guide.
    A post operative sleeping mask.
    The kit doesn’t seem to come with the antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications that you would normally take for a week after such an operation.
    When you apply online for your home kit, you’re asked to specify your prescription for each eye, and you have to be over 18.
    1995 F3 - Sold
    Gods dont kill people. People with Gods kill people.
    – David Viaen

If you want to get through university with a breeze all you have to do is change your image to match chuck norris and then round house kick every test and exam paper which'll get you an A+