Is going to university worth it? - Page 10

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Is going to university worth it?

Re: Is going to university worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    I don't want to go through your post point-by-point. I like the way you aren't taking any of this personally or getting offended. Truth is, the only reason I took an interest in this thread is because you've posted a lot of intelligent stuff in this forum since you've been a member, so you're obviously a smart young person. When I read that you are dropping out of University, my parental instincts took over and I felt compelled to advise you against it. I don't know you, but I get the feeling it would be a mistake for you to quit.
    I would say that some people aren't ready for university or it isn't right for them. I think it's a good idea he take a break and try out different things (in college, work or other university program) to truly find what he likes and wants.

I often wonder what life would be like away from the city, and the usual bombardment of advertisements and "corporate brainwashing" (to an extent)...

I think most people choose non-intellectually challenging careers, simply to pay the bills so that they can afford their spending habits and lifestyle... well, if one can drastically change that lifestyle to something less-demanding on your pocket book, perhaps that might allow that person to pursue a career they can be happy with....

If I never saw commercials, or heard from other people what Cancun Mexico was like, I'd have no desire to visit there, per se. I think I'd still want to ride a motorcycle, though... even if I'd never seen one. I think I might spend more time & effort pursuing a "simple life" for a while, and perhaps I can be more content with myself and my life that way, rather than running in this rat race here in the city, only to try and get more $$, to afford more toys and to feed into "the system"... they've got us all trained, man.

If you don't spend, the terrorists win
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    I often wonder what life would be like away from the city, and the usual bombardment of advertisements and "corporate brainwashing" (to an extent)...

I think most people choose non-intellectually challenging careers, simply to pay the bills so that they can afford their spending habits and lifestyle... well, if one can drastically change that lifestyle to something less-demanding on your pocket book, perhaps that might allow that person to pursue a career they can be happy with....

If I never saw commercials, or heard from other people what Cancun Mexico was like, I'd have no desire to visit there, per se. I think I'd still want to ride a motorcycle, though... even if I'd never seen one. I think I might spend more time & effort pursuing a "simple life" for a while, and perhaps I can be more content with myself and my life that way, rather than running in this rat race here in the city, only to try and get more $$, to afford more toys and to feed into "the system"... they've got us all trained, man.
    The truth, Neo, is that you are a slave to the Matrix.

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    What made me really question whether or not university was worth it, was seeing a lot of my older friends without jobs. I never used to fear for my future, because I always managed to do well on interviews & I'm great with people. What's frightening is that people who are just like me, but even smarter, who have the right set of skills, did their time...and still can't get jobs. I still think that given an interview, I can manage to put myself ahead of a lot of candidates...but the problem is that it seems to be getting harder and harder to even get one of those - regardless of the profession. And $25 grand (minimum) is a big price to pay for personal enrichment without a job at 27.
    I was faced with this same scenario coming out of university as well. The peak of this "scare" for me was when I went to a Petro Canada station to fill up on gas after the gym, one night. I walk in, hand the card to the attendee. She noticed the iron ring on my pinky (this was shortly after the ceremony) and was like "Oh hey, I'm an Engineer too! I graduated last year from Ryerson Aerospace". I'm like "oh....nice....." as I took my gas card back.

I dunno maybe it was a part time job, or maybe she was waiting to hear back from some folks...but that scared the hell out of me. Looking back, and based on the observations I've made of people in that particular situation...their lack of employment is almost always due to either a lack of initiative when looking for work...or an artificially inflated sense of self-worth / misguided view of what their starting salary should be based on some random metric they found on the internet. Very, very damaging mindset.

Being smart or having the qualifications doesn't ensure you finding a job. You gotta be determined and hungry. This may or may not mean taking a chance on a job that sounds like complete BS, or with a relatively low starting salary. Bottom line, though...coming out of University with a Bachelor's doesn't mean you're worth that much. Just apply to everything and find a way to get your foot in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    I was faced with this same scenario coming out of university as well. The peak of this "scare" for me was when I went to a Petro Canada station to fill up on gas after the gym, one night. I walk in, hand the card to the attendee. She noticed the iron ring on my pinky (this was shortly after the ceremony) and was like "Oh hey, I'm an Engineer too! I graduated last year from Ryerson Aerospace". I'm like "oh....nice....." as I took my gas card back.

I dunno maybe it was a part time job, or maybe she was waiting to hear back from some folks...but that scared the hell out of me. Looking back, and based on the observations I've made of people in that particular situation...their lack of employment is almost always due to either a lack of initiative when looking for work...or an artificially inflated sense of self-worth / misguided view of what their starting salary should be based on some random metric they found on the internet. Very, very damaging mindset.

Being smart or having the qualifications doesn't ensure you finding a job. You gotta be determined and hungry. This may or may not mean taking a chance on a job that sounds like complete BS, or with a relatively low starting salary. Bottom line, though...coming out of University with a Bachelor's doesn't mean you're worth that much. Just apply to everything and find a way to get your foot in the door.
    Maybe her family owned the gas station?

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    Maybe her family owned the gas station?
    It's definitely possible. I didn't really initiate a conversation as I was trying to get the hell out of there, but any number of reasonable explanations could exist for that scenario.

Aerospace is also fairly specialized, so the job pickings for something like that are also a hell of a lot thinner....which can also be detrimental if you think about it. I know there's a huge push for people getting their MBA in university, but maybe some prudent research is in order before you do any kind of specialization. If you get out and your particular field is saturated, then you're SOL. Can't do a hell of a lot with that.

Are you a mechanical engineer, or do you know any mechanical engineers that are out of work, and unemployed?

If so, I may have a job offer for you, within a few months (likely by June). My job, that is... I hope to be moving on from it very soon, and if you want; you can have it.

Are you a mechanical engineer, or do you know any mechanical engineers that are out of work, and unemployed?

If so, I may have a job offer for you, within a few months (likely by June). My job, that is... I hope to be moving on from it very soon, and if you want; you can have it.
    LOL well I'm quite happily employed for the time being...I will, however, keep that under consideration! PM me with some details and I'll see if any of my disgruntled friends would be interested.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

If she was brown, then that very well may be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    I know there's a huge push for people getting their MBA in university, but maybe some prudent research is in order before you do any kind of specialization. If you get out and your particular field is saturated, then you're SOL. Can't do a hell of a lot with that.
    Exactly why I got out of psychology. The BA was so saturated that the masters became the minimum. But it's been the standard for quite some time now, so even that has too many holders. Sheesh, what happened to the days when you had to REALLY grind just to get yourself an education?

I know this really good-looking girl, who's really smart...and still couldn't get a job. HTF. You know there's actually a shortage of jobs if a smart, social, beautiful person with a degree can't even get one! She ended up having to sell her car & going back to college.

So I think the better question is...did University ruin itself? The shift from higher-learning for the elite/gifted/intellectual/ambitious to the cash-grab turned it into the high school diploma...

I know this really good-looking girl, who's really smart...and still couldn't get a job. HTF. You know there's actually a shortage of jobs if a smart, social, beautiful person with a degree can't even get one! She ended up having to sell her car & going back to college.
    Sorry if this is unrelated, but how does a girl being attractive have anything to do with her employability -unless she's applying to be a model or actress- I fail to see why she should get the job over another REALLY ugly dude, who might have more or the same qualifications that she does.

Sorry if this is unrelated, but how does a girl being attractive have anything to do with her employability -unless she's applying to be a model or actress- I fail to see why she should get the job over another REALLY ugly dude, who might have more or the same qualifications that she does.
    Welcome to the "real world"
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

"should" and "would" are two VERY different things :P
    Mikey-D - Ottawa

"And yes, this is a site for people who ride bikes. But we don't ride bikes on this site. You can't ride a bike on the internet. On this site, we WRITE and READ about motorcycles." --Duster929

Yeah, that's what they tell ugly people.

--- D

It depends on how smart you are, what you want to do in life. Going to university doesn't mean you will be making good money. I know people with a grade 2/3 education that don't speak a word of English who make a **** ton of money just because they work hard/good, they make most university educated people bow down in shame.

It all depends, do what you want to do.

My word of advice?

No matter how old you are or whatever stage of life you are in, if you want to do schooling and work towards something, do it. It may seem like a long road, but it will pass faster than you think and will pay off in the end run.

I'm going back to school to get a degree, it's all good
    Night Rod Special

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Snapped this picture at one of my work locations:

The only reason I took a picture was because of the translation beside it...but since I looked it up when I got home and it was totally wrong.

Seig Heil!

This saying still applies, although not quite the same way it did 65 years ago
    Finally, EDDERS HAS COME BACK to GTA Motorcycle! \m/\>.</\m/

aka Dirty Ed of the Gas Guzzlers MC
    http://www.ratbike.org/motorcycho/outlawname.php

tell her to pm me, i got a job for her
    RR