750 or 600 track bike

Thread: 750 or 600 track bike

750 or 600 track bike

I am in the market for a track bike but I do not see much discussion around a 750. My guess is a 750 may limit you with the class you can compete in if you are competing but in my case I am looking for a dedication bike for track days. If you were in a position to buy a 600 (CBR or GSXR) or a 750 (GSXR) track bike at the same price which route would you go? My understanding is that the GSXR 600 and 750 are the same bike except for the motor..for the most part. My other concern is resale if down the road I wanted a different bike.

Lastly, what colour would you go with between red, white or black.

Re: 750 or 600 track bike

I had a 750 and it was a great track bike. But once I got into racing last year...it limits you to the number of classes you can run. I upgraded to a 600. So having been there - done that...I'd definitely go the 600 route.

Plus...people can't use the "But you have a 750..that's why you beat me" line!!

Cheers

Paul
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I had a 750 and it was a great track bike. But once I got into racing last year...it limits you to the number of classes you can run. I downgraded to a 600. So having been there - done that...I'd definitely go the 600 route.

Plus...people can't use the "But you have a 750..that's why you beat me" line!!

Cheers

Paul
    Fixed it for u

Quote Originally Posted by KRFDPSSTI View Post
    Fixed it for u
    I am assuming he used the word upgraded because I suspect it's no longer a Suzuki. .

I got the 750 because I was convinced there was no way in hell I would be getting into racing... few months later I got into racing..

There are a few classes you could race it in if you wanted to so it wouldn't be the end of the world. If you like the extra bit of umph from the added horses, go for the 750. It's a nice in between bike without getting a 1000. Parts wise they're almost identical to the 600 so finding spares isn't an issue, the 750 simply has different forks and the engine has more bore... is borer.. bigger borski? Every thing from body work to levers is interchangeable.

It's pretty much up to personal preference and riding style. Same goes for color, mine was pearl white, you can paint yours pink for all I care.
    Last edited by Blackie; 02-18-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    BUY MY BIKE!
    2007 Honda CRF 150R Big Wheel Supermoto with dirt wheels, $3600

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

Ahhhh just go for a 1000
    2007 Ducati S4R Street
    2004 Kawasaki zx10 Track
    1987 Ninja 750 Gone
    1984 Seca 400 Gone

Ahhhh just go for a 1000
    I already have one but now I want a track bike. For the local tracks in the area I don't think you can take advantage of a 1000.

most riders can't take advantage of a 250

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    I am assuming he used the word upgraded because I suspect it's no longer a Suzuki. .
    Correct me if im wrong but didnt suzuki DOMINATE the 750 class to the point where all the other manufacturers simply gave up? hahaha

If by dominate you mean appeal most to the common squid... Sure. But I was just kidding around I was considering a 750 suzuki. I think the real reason no other manufacturer makes them is because there aren't many racing classes for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    If by dominate you mean appeal most to the common squid... Sure. But I was just kidding around I was considering a 750 suzuki. I think the real reason no other manufacturer makes them is because there aren't many racing classes for them.
    why the zx7 got canned no class

....... loaded question.......... most here are explaining why they are using a 600 over a 750 (racing rules/regulations).......... but that isn't addressing or answering your question. As the level of these "racers" that are answering your question goes up so will the bill on thier 600cc race bike........ because really, what EVERY 600cc class racer wants and needs is a 600 that acts like a 750 (a very good 600 [National spec] will make stock 750 numbers - 125hp / 50 ft lbs) .......... so in answering your question .......... in the case of the Suzuki GSXR600 or 750, these bikes are exactly the same except for the motor, and the 750 allready comes with HP you want your 600 to make (if not today, eventually.........) unless you need the bike to pass a "600 race class technical inspection"........ I'm guessing the question should be, why would you not want a 750 ....... and, there's more......... besides Suzuki who else is making a 750cc sports bike......... (Ducati 848/Triumph 675......) .. NooooooooooBody ....... is who, just my "Opin-e-on" BG

Im with Ben, the 750 is worlds most powerful stock 600 sorta, kinda. Its actually not the hp, theres not alot more than the 6, but the torque is there. I think theres a slight advantage in every way with the 750, so long as it passes the rules in the class ur racing in. I have the 750 and the 1000, and the getting on the 750 after the thou, its still feels like a plug wire fell off.I cant imagine riding a 600, I duno if the fun factor would be there for trackdays.
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

I'd go with the 750 as a track bike

Quote Originally Posted by TLDeano View Post
    Im with Ben, the 750 is worlds most powerful stock 600 sorta, kinda. Its actually not the hp, theres not alot more than the 6, but the torque is there. I think theres a slight advantage in every way with the 750, so long as it passes the rules in the class ur racing in. I have the 750 and the 1000, and the getting on the 750 after the thou, its still feels like a plug wire fell off.I cant imagine riding a 600, I duno if the fun factor would be there for trackdays.
    ......... I have had Waaaayyyyyyy more people crash my 600's than my 1000's......... and once you start using both......... (thats for a different thread) a good 1000cc race bike (or street) makes any 600 feel lame............ but I did watch Trombino win a Super Bike race on the Fabi track in early 2009 agaist Nelson's new "cross plane" 1000cc Yamaha ........ and he did it on his GSXR 750........honest. BG

im still doing a swap making my 750 into a 600.... im giving my friend my 750 and im taking his 600 (just motor and trans and odds n ends) its finally warming up enough to finish them in the garage now

i just wanted to compete in the 600 class races and didnt want to spend any more money finding another bike to buy , so i convinced a friend that id give him my 750 for his 600. it was a win win kinda deal

S.O.A.R. #691

If you're absolutely sure your not going to get into racing, the 750 would be my recommendation. I love mine on the track. But believe us when we tell you that trackdays are addicting and it can easily lead to racing. It's like a stepping stone drug.

I think the 750 is a great track bike because it it's a great compromise between the handling of a 600 and the power of a 1000. You may not have equal of either, but a bit of both worlds.

When you're at smaller, tighter tracks the 1000's can be overkill, but at the faster tracks like Calabogie and Mosport, you'll be reving the piss out of 600's and even if you're passing liter bikes going into corners, you'll be getting blown out of the water on the straights. The 750 will give you the power to pertially keep up with the 1000's, especially if you play with the gearing, and it has handling similar to a 600.

Quote Originally Posted by Seoul Man View Post
    If you're absolutely sure your not going to get into racing, the 750 would be my recommendation. I love mine on the track. But believe us when we tell you that trackdays are addicting and it can easily lead to racing. It's like a stepping stone drug.

I think the 750 is a great track bike because it it's a great compromise between the handling of a 600 and the power of a 1000. You may not have equal of either, but a bit of both worlds.

When you're at smaller, tighter tracks the 1000's can be overkill, but at the faster tracks like Calabogie and Mosport, you'll be reving the piss out of 600's and even if you're passing liter bikes going into corners, you'll be getting blown out of the water on the straights. The 750 will give you the power to pertially keep up with the 1000's, especially if you play with the gearing, and it has handling similar to a 600.
    LOL, well said! I'm gonna miss my 750

Quote Originally Posted by elkymutt View Post
    LOL, well said! I'm gonna miss my 750
    Dont worry Mark, I promise u I will keep good care of her. U have my word

I couldnt stop smiling all day
    Resident Loudmouth