Unauthorized parking on boulevard - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unauthorized parking on boulevard

Re: If THEY don't know what you did ...

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post

Unfortunately there is not a permanent solution. You may want to look into private areas to park. Such as obtaining permission from a nearby School in your area. Regards, -----Original Message----- From: [mailto:] Sent: 2012/03/02 9:04 AM To: City Hall Subject: RE: Parking on Boulevard Will do! Thank you! Would there be any permanent options in terms of parking on the street? Regards,

Email from the city of brampton says that ^^^^

Here's the actual text:

http://www.brampton.ca/en/City-Hall/...ic_9393TXT.pdf

42. Unless specifically permitted by other provisions of this by-law, no person shall park any vehicle on any highway:
    (1) on any portion of a sidewalk in a manner that would obstruct the sidewalk;

(2) within three (3) metres (10 feet) of a point on the curb or edge of the roadway opposite any fire hydrant;

(3) in front of any portion of a public or private driveway or laneway;

(4) within an intersection or within nine (9) metres (30 feet) of an intersection;

(5) on any roadway having an overall width of less than six (6) metres (20 feet);

(6) in such a manner as to obstruct traffic;

(7) on any portion of a boulevard;

(a) in such a manner that the vehicle is partly on a boulevard, or on public or private property,
    and projects over a curb into the traveled portion of the highway;

(8 )on any highway for a period longer than three (3) hours unless otherwise permitted by authorized signs erected at locations set out in Schedule XXXV of this By-law;

(9) in such a position as will prevent the convenient removal of any other vehicle previously parked or left standing;

(10) on any portion of a crosswalk or pedestrian crossover;

(11) on a highway between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.;

(12) where parking is prohibited;

(13) where parking spaces are designated by lines painted on the roadway, except within the area designated as a parking space.

(14) the provisions of section 42 subsection (11) & (12) shall not apply to vehicles which clearly display in a visible manner a accessible parking permit.

So it seems, like I thought, that the issue is overhanging the street. Park sideways, so you aren't overhanging the sidewalk or street, and you should be OK.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

you cannot park on the Boulevard, as stated

the second part even restricts it more

(a) in such a manner that the vehicle is partly on a boulevard, or on public or private property,
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Do you have access to a ticket, that stated the bylaw number? I had always been told that it was fine as long as the car was on the driveway, not the grass, and didn't block the sidewalk. I have also parked many times at a friend's house in Brampton, where Bylaw Enforcement is very active at ticketing vehicles that are even an inch into the sidewalk, and have never received a ticket while parked in the area that I described if I wasn't overhanging the sidewalk.
    Mississauga has a by-law that prohibits parking on the driveway between the sidewalk and road. The only reason I know this is because my girlfriends dad went thru quite a bit of work to have an amendment for their street. I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of it but he's told me a few times that he did this and that if you park on the boulevard in mississauga you'll be ticketed.
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    you cannot park on the Boulevard, as stated

the second part even restricts it more
    I don't read it that way. Firstly, the "and project..." portion should be a (b) section and the PDF is poorly edited. This makes it a requirement that both conditions be met. If they are not met, then there is no infraction. For clarification of the text, I would suggest contacting Brampton City Hall.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted View Post
    Mississauga has a by-law that prohibits parking on the driveway between the sidewalk and road. The only reason I know this is because my girlfriends dad went thru quite a bit of work to have an amendment for their street. I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of it but he's told me a few times that he did this and that if you park on the boulevard in mississauga you'll be ticketed.
    We aren't talking about Mississauga and I posted the applicable bylaw.

your not reading it correctly, read the "or"

so it's this "or" that, and not a combination, or an accumulation of, but any one of the reasons will get you a ticket

Mississauga and Brampton have the same By-Law....
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted View Post
    this is correct, no parking on the Boulevard, but you can petition Parking Enforcement to have signs posted on your street and if passed it will then be OK to park on the Boulevard
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Here's the actual text:
    So it seems, like I thought, that the issue is overhanging the street. Park sideways, so you aren't overhanging the sidewalk or street, and you should be OK.
    i agree with you!

Thanks!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    i agree with you!

Thanks!!!!!
    I would still recommend that you contact the city for clarification of the bylaw, as it's obviously screwed up in their online reference, but it looks good.

overhanging or not, you cannot park on the Boulevard in any way shape or form......, plain and simple, it's what they will tell you.....

only time your allowed to park on the boulevard is if there are signs posted that allow it.

either talk to the parking control office, or make a first attendance meeting to dispute the ticket or get clarification, either way, you will get the same answer

trust me..................
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

overhanging or not, you cannot park on the Boulevard in any way shape or form......, plain and simple, it's what they will tell you.....

only time your allowed to park on the boulevard is if there are signs posted that allow it.

either talk to the parking control office, or make a first attendance meeting to dispute the ticket or get clarification, either way, you will get the same answer

trust me..................
    As I stated the "and projects..." should be a (b), making it a conditional statement on the statement. The online PDF is improperly edited. It should read:

and

(b) projects over a curb into the traveled portion of the highway;

read it and understand it as you wish

to the OP, the ticket will stick, I hope not, but it more than likely will, best case scenario, they might reduce the fine, but cancel they will not.

good luck
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

to the OP, the ticket will stick, I hope not, but it more than likely will, best case scenario, they might reduce the fine, but cancel they will not.

good luck
    I don't mind paying that $30 now. as long as I understand what the terms were.

And it sucks that I can't park on the street!!! GAH!

I need a long term parking solution.

good luck
    You're missing a point here; by the way I read it, he was guilty THAT time. To avoid the ticket, in future, he must avoid the overhang issue.

You're missing a point here; by the way I read it, he was guilty THAT time. To avoid the ticket, in future, he must avoid the overhang issue.
    And you are absolutely correct, and please accept my apology.....

I just go off the phone with their Enforcement department, (hey I work for the Municipal Gov as well) and as long as no portion is touching the road/sidewalk/grass or overhanging any of those, they cannot give you a ticket, or the ticket will not count.

they are looking to amend their by-law on this, and have it read no parking on boulevard

my humble apologies......once again....

Mississauga I don't think has that stipulation, but I am checking into it.......

found it for Mississauga...

Boulevard Parking:
    No person may park a vehicle on the paved or grass portion of the City Boulevard. The boulevard is that portion of the driveway between the property line or sidewalk and the road.
    Last edited by GateKeeper; 03-02-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

And you are absolutely correct, and please accept my apology.....

I just go off the phone with their Enforcement department, (hey I work for the Municipal Gov as well) and as long as no portion is touching the road/sidewalk/grass or overhanging any of those, they cannot give you a ticket, or the ticket will not count.

they are looking to amend their by-law on this, and have it read no parking on boulevard

my humble apologies......once again....

Mississauga I don't think has that stipulation, but I am checking into it.......

found it for Mississauga...
    Thanks for all yourhelp as well. Appreciate it.

No worries, GateKeeper. It's the kind of thing that it's easy to get wrong, considering the way that they post the bylaws.

*EDIT* It might actually be allowed in Mississauga, also, just along specific roads. Read this:

5. (1) No person shall stop, park or stand a vehicle on the untraveled portion of a
    highway or any portion thereof except,

(a) where there is no raised curb or a rolled curb, he stands, stops or parks
    the vehicle on the right side of the highway, having reference to the
    direction in which the vehicle has been lawfully traveling and so that the
    left side of the vehicle is parallel to the edge of the roadway;

(b) on a residential driveway fronting on a local or collector roadway where
    no sidewalk exists and so as not to overhang the grassed portion of the
    boulevard, or the curb;

(c) notwithstanding paragraph 7(10)(a) and subject to sub-section7(2) of
    this By-law, on a residential driveway fronting on a local or collector
    roadway except on those local and collector roadways listed in Schedule
    28 to this By-law:

(i) where no sidewalk exists; or

(ii) where there is a sidewalk, on the side of the sidewalk closest to
    the property line; and,

(d) on a residential driveway fronting on a local or collector roadway where
    a sidewalk exists, on the side of the sidewalk closest to the property line
    and between the curb and sidewalk on those highways listed in Schedule
    31 to this By-law so as not to overhang the grassed portion of the
    boulevard, the sidewalk or the curb.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 03-02-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Interesting, now we need to find the "Schedule 31" and see what those roads are
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Interesting, now we need to find the "Schedule 31" and see what those roads are
    I haven't been able to find either Schedule 31, or Schedule 28, but I'll keep looking.

*EDIT* So far this is the only thing I've been able to find, that sounds remotely like what is mentioned:

http://canlii.ca/t/8q1h
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 03-02-2012 at 02:41 PM.