Unauthorized parking on boulevard

Thread: Unauthorized parking on boulevard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: If THEY don't know what you did ...

overhanging or not, you cannot park on the Boulevard in any way shape or form......, plain and simple, it's what they will tell you.....

only time your allowed to park on the boulevard is if there are signs posted that allow it.

either talk to the parking control office, or make a first attendance meeting to dispute the ticket or get clarification, either way, you will get the same answer

trust me..................
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    overhanging or not, you cannot park on the Boulevard in any way shape or form......, plain and simple, it's what they will tell you.....

only time your allowed to park on the boulevard is if there are signs posted that allow it.

either talk to the parking control office, or make a first attendance meeting to dispute the ticket or get clarification, either way, you will get the same answer

trust me..................
    As I stated the "and projects..." should be a (b), making it a conditional statement on the statement. The online PDF is improperly edited. It should read:

(7) on any portion of a boulevard;

(a) in such a manner that the vehicle is partly on a boulevard, or on public or private property,

and

(b) projects over a curb into the traveled portion of the highway;
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

read it and understand it as you wish

to the OP, the ticket will stick, I hope not, but it more than likely will, best case scenario, they might reduce the fine, but cancel they will not.

good luck
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

to the OP, the ticket will stick, I hope not, but it more than likely will, best case scenario, they might reduce the fine, but cancel they will not.

good luck
    I don't mind paying that $30 now. as long as I understand what the terms were.

And it sucks that I can't park on the street!!! GAH!

I need a long term parking solution.

good luck
    You're missing a point here; by the way I read it, he was guilty THAT time. To avoid the ticket, in future, he must avoid the overhang issue.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    You're missing a point here; by the way I read it, he was guilty THAT time. To avoid the ticket, in future, he must avoid the overhang issue.
    And you are absolutely correct, and please accept my apology.....

I just go off the phone with their Enforcement department, (hey I work for the Municipal Gov as well) and as long as no portion is touching the road/sidewalk/grass or overhanging any of those, they cannot give you a ticket, or the ticket will not count.

they are looking to amend their by-law on this, and have it read no parking on boulevard

my humble apologies......once again....

Mississauga I don't think has that stipulation, but I am checking into it.......

found it for Mississauga...

Boulevard Parking:
    No person may park a vehicle on the paved or grass portion of the City Boulevard. The boulevard is that portion of the driveway between the property line or sidewalk and the road.
    Last edited by GateKeeper; 03-02-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

And you are absolutely correct, and please accept my apology.....

I just go off the phone with their Enforcement department, (hey I work for the Municipal Gov as well) and as long as no portion is touching the road/sidewalk/grass or overhanging any of those, they cannot give you a ticket, or the ticket will not count.

they are looking to amend their by-law on this, and have it read no parking on boulevard

my humble apologies......once again....

Mississauga I don't think has that stipulation, but I am checking into it.......

found it for Mississauga...
    Thanks for all yourhelp as well. Appreciate it.

No worries, GateKeeper. It's the kind of thing that it's easy to get wrong, considering the way that they post the bylaws.

*EDIT* It might actually be allowed in Mississauga, also, just along specific roads. Read this:

5. (1) No person shall stop, park or stand a vehicle on the untraveled portion of a
    highway or any portion thereof except,

(a) where there is no raised curb or a rolled curb, he stands, stops or parks
    the vehicle on the right side of the highway, having reference to the
    direction in which the vehicle has been lawfully traveling and so that the
    left side of the vehicle is parallel to the edge of the roadway;

(b) on a residential driveway fronting on a local or collector roadway where
    no sidewalk exists and so as not to overhang the grassed portion of the
    boulevard, or the curb;

(c) notwithstanding paragraph 7(10)(a) and subject to sub-section7(2) of
    this By-law, on a residential driveway fronting on a local or collector
    roadway except on those local and collector roadways listed in Schedule
    28 to this By-law:

(i) where no sidewalk exists; or

(ii) where there is a sidewalk, on the side of the sidewalk closest to
    the property line; and,

(d) on a residential driveway fronting on a local or collector roadway where
    a sidewalk exists, on the side of the sidewalk closest to the property line
    and between the curb and sidewalk on those highways listed in Schedule
    31 to this By-law so as not to overhang the grassed portion of the
    boulevard, the sidewalk or the curb.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 03-02-2012 at 01:30 PM.

I read it the way Rob does.

Which is that its illegal to park on the boulevard hanging over the sidewalk or road. or to part on private property hanging over the sidewalk or road.

mainly because I don't see the point of the 2nd comma otherwise.

my very basic point is this

In statutory interpretation, you assume that all words are there for a reason.

If the intent was to ban parking on boulevards entirely, it should imply say..

"(7) on any portion of a boulevard."

If the intent was as Gatekeeper indicated. the section should end there; or it could say

"(7) on any portion of a boulevard; (a) or on public or private property, and projects over a curb into the traveled portion of the highway;"

Either construction results in the interpretation that Gatekeeper envisions, but if that was the case.. I can't seem to find a place for these words

"in such a manner that the vehicle is partly on a boulevard"

If these words are NOT further qualified by the following "and projects over a curb into the traveled portion of the highway;"

Then I can't help but think the words are useless, and drafted by some ****** articling student who got all Cs in law school.
    Last edited by OpenGambit; 03-02-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

good luck

maybe you can show a precedent for your interpretation, otherwise I see no need to defer to it.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    maybe you can show a precedent for your interpretation, otherwise I see no need to defer to it.
    He already did defer, after verifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    He already did defer, after verifying.
    As per Rob, OG, he deferred in post #36 in this thread.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sarcasm View Post
    As per Rob, OG, he deferred in post #36 in this thread.

IC. didn't read the whole thing.