NC30 (VFR400) Rebuild/Project (w/ pics) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NC30 (VFR400) Rebuild/Project (w/ pics)

Re: NC30 (VFR400) Rebuild/Project (w/ pics)

Love VFR400's. A guy who lives near me has a black and graphite one. Great little bikes.

I do not like the tyga kits on these bikes. Keep the original fairings.

Thats my opinion though, I like the old school look. Same reason why my 250RR will remain stock.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    buy one, keep it original
    +1

Finding a nice clean NC30 is rare, and if you do get one keep it that way! As for mechanical upgrades, why don't you ride the bike first and see whats lacking, that way you can decide what to improve.

Also you should keep in mind, that these bikes are ongoing projects as someone said before. The engine may be solid but its strung so high that those parts wear considerably and also after 20ish years, other parts will start going on you. Just be prepared to have to make a few repairs along the way and source the rare parts for them.

That being said the 400 I4s are a shitton of fun!
    Last edited by Spizzak; 02-09-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Oh man I LOVE vfr400's. I don't have the financial backing to support a project bike, though. I'd also consider keeping the ninja around, because if you do plan on making this a project bike, the down-time may be lengthy, and very annoying.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

To everyone saying keep it original, I'm obviously not gonna throw away the oem fairings. It's just the tail that really bothers me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_high View Post
    What are you looking to spend for a NC30?
    Depends on klicks & condition...pm me what you'd expect for it
    ...hypothetically

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_Biker View Post
    I think that bike is a good upgrade after the 250. Are you sure about those fairings though? Why buy a unique looking bike and plaster warped looking CBR fairings on it? I personally think they look horrible, especially the front end. The tail unit isn't bad. They're really not cheap either, sure you wouldn't have carbon fairings instead? They'd cost about the same money.

The guy who made this bikes fairings has his own carbon business and would whip up a set.
    Because it has a 400cc motor, a sexy single-sided swingarm and is slightly smaller than a fully-sized 600 ss. CF's something to consider, but I personally like carbon fiber in smaller doses...like a tank or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    i considered the same but in ontario, insurance for 400 was not much less than a 600. plus these bikes are old and parts are getting harder to find. I did something similar for my first bike except it was a 250.

i would just go to a 600 once you're ready to upgrade. to me, something like this would be a ongoing project, not something to beat around on everyday. my 250 was all pretty and stuff once i was done but after I binned it, i wished I had gotten a newer bike.
    So it's really not a good idea for it to be a daily rider?

I've considered how it'd work with insurance too...with that much in mods that I'd want to claim if anything were ever to happen. Not to mention how bad I'd feel if the bike were to get stolen after I put in all that work and money into it.

To be honest, I really have no desire for a 600. I can't afford to track anytime soon, and I doubt that I'll be able to even use all that power. I'm sure it's fun, but it has no appeal to me whatsoever.

I guess I'm just looking for alternatives. I really wish the big 4 still made 400s...

Quote Originally Posted by Spizzak View Post
    +1

Finding a nice clean NC30 is rare, and if you do get one keep it that way! As for mechanical upgrades, why don't you ride the bike first and see whats lacking, that way you can decide what to improve.

Also you should keep in mind, that these bikes are ongoing projects as someone said before. The engine may be solid but its strung so high that those parts wear considerably and also after 20ish years, other parts will start going on you. Just be prepared to have to make a few repairs along the way and source the rare parts for them.

That being said the 400 I4s are a shitton of fun!
    Great suggestion...sounds like a better plan

The thing about keeping it as more of a project is that I want my project to be something that I can ride & enjoy...not just something to build & sell, or build and admire.

The parts thing is really worring me though, 'cause my commutes alone would put on thousands of k's a year...

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    Oh man I LOVE vfr400's. I don't have the financial backing to support a project bike, though. I'd also consider keeping the ninja around, because if you do plan on making this a project bike, the down-time may be lengthy, and very annoying.
    I would have to sell my ninja. I definitely can't afford 2 bikes. If I sell my ninja, I just need to add a couple grand to make it happens. The plan's to work on it over the winter so it's good to go as soon as the season starts up. The first step's fairings & changing the tail and that can't take TOO long since the kits are made to fit on. I guess the better idea would be to go with what Spizzak said about replacing mechanical parts as I go along.

I really wanna make this happen...I'm just hoping that practicality & the factors don't outweigh everything.

Honestly if you plan on using it for that much commuting, this is probably not the bike for you, those kms will rack up quickly and you'll probably have to do considerable maintenance. Not to mention the comfort factor- that seat is not much more than a foam pad. I feel your pain, that bikes a beauty and like I said they are a lot of fun (I had an FZR400) but its really more of a track bike than anything.

I traded my FZR in for an SV and although its completely different in terms of engine, it is still a blast to ride and I'm starting to fall in love with the V Twin. Its got maybe 20Hp on the 400s but it is still way short of the 600s
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Quote Originally Posted by Spizzak View Post
    Honestly if you plan on using it for that much commuting, this is probably not the bike for you, those kms will rack up quickly and you'll probably have to do considerable maintenance. Not to mention the comfort factor- that seat is not much more than a foam pad. I feel your pain, that bikes a beauty and like I said they are a lot of fun (I had an FZR400) but its really more of a track bike than anything.

I traded my FZR in for an SV and although its completely different in terms of engine, it is still a blast to ride and I'm starting to fall in love with the V Twin. Its got maybe 20Hp on the 400s but it is still way short of the 600s

It is true, NC30 VFR400's are a 3/4 size replica of an RC30 World Superbike that Honda used to win the championship with (which is another reason why the stock body work is cool!!). It is not a comfortable bike in any manor and parts are not readily available without paying customs fees and waiting EVERYTIME to get something. I've been there, I own a grey market import and it can suck. Even my headlight bulbs have to be imported and cost 2x as much as a USDM bulb once I get them.
    I've sat on a few and the older ones were better for comfort, like the NC24 which a guy locally to me owns.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it. If you get the bike you will love it. However, for a daily commuter and without a lot of money to maintain it, it might not be the best choice. I would look at an SV650 or Ninja 650 as a commuter.
    Last edited by Syphen; 02-10-2010 at 05:24 AM.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

Lovely bike, however considering you live in Ontario and not UK, your selection will be very limited and parts hard or harder to get.

I've looked long and hard, even was in contact with a few sellers in Japan (didn't like the prices and quality offered localy, the sample was very small anyways ...) as well as have been few times to a couple of importers in the area and had to sadly conclude that to get a good sample (not beat up or previously crashed unit ...) you will pay anywhere between 3.5-6K depending on the age and quality (forget about mileage, because everyone lies ...). Just to bring it back will cost you and modification will cost you again.

You don't sound like you do not have a lot of cash burning hole in your pocket, so I'd just forget it. If you actually do have money to spare and I'd say go for it.

Good luck.

hey Psycho_Biker cool ride. Any more pics/ info on it?
    In fact any other grey bike owners have pics of thier rides?

Quote Originally Posted by gammaguy21 View Post
    most of us are on here and have posted our bikes up:

http://jdmbike.muux.org

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkee View Post
    get the front USD fork!!!

heck, get the whole USD frontend from NC35!

What advantages would that offer? How much would I be looking at?

Other than the bing bing factor, none really. If you google "usd forks vs telescopic forks" you will see pages and pages of pointless technical white paper argument similar to some thread in GTAM. The fact is, most of us won't feel the difference.

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

Psycho & Syphen, those are some beautiful-sounding bikes. What exhaust setup do you guys have?

Mxs & Spizzak, thanks for the discouraging (but realistic) input. It looks like I'm gonna have to put this off for when I got money flowing in. Sucks 'cause I was really set on making it happen, too. I got all excited 'cause I thought I finally had the solution to the perfect, non-ugly bridge for the gap between the 250 & 600ss

Yorkee, thanks for clearing that up

-----------------------------------------
    Do I have any other alternatives? The sv650 & ninja 650, are good options...but there's gotta be something smaller-sized. Like mentioned, I like how the nc30 is about 3/4ths the size of a normal bike

Hrmm...you COULD try and do like a "step up" kinda project first. Grab a CB450 and mod the crap outta that.

OR sell the ninja, grab your vfr400 and get a dirt cheap commuter bike/scooter. I, yet again, nominate some kind of honda CB.

What's the insurance like on one of these grey bikes anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    My longest downtime was 5 days when the reg/rectifier went 3 weeks after I got it. I could have had it back on the road sooner if I hadn't got a tune up at the same time and the shop wasn't busy as hell. Only cost 450 bucks for new air filter, oil, reg/rect, carb balance and new chain. Now I just keep a spare regulator incase it goes. It's a weak point on most Honda bikes, especially this one as it's right above the exhaust and there's no venting through that part of the fairing. Sometimes that will destroy the battery too. So if it doesn't start all the sudden, or dies on you for no apparent reason, don't even waste time and just replace those two parts!

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    Psycho & Syphen, those are some beautiful-sounding bikes. What exhaust setup do you guys have?

Mxs & Spizzak, thanks for the discouraging (but realistic) input. It looks like I'm gonna have to put this off for when I got money flowing in. Sucks 'cause I was really set on making it happen, too. I got all excited 'cause I thought I finally had the solution to the perfect, non-ugly bridge for the gap between the 250 & 600ss
    ^^ Don't listen to thems two. Just don't drop it like me and it won't get expensive.

I do use it to commute daily in the summer as well, although I'm only 15 minutes away. One thing to consider, this bike is not fun on hot days in stop and go traffic. It gets really, really bloody hot around your legs with all the exhaust pipework stuffed in there. Also, yeah it's pretty uncomfortable, it can actually be painful to be honest. Your legs, *** and wrists will go numb after 10-15 minutes of riding straight. In the turns it all works though and the cramping feeling goes away. It's designed only with racing in mind though, not for the street and especially not to doddle along in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by gammaguy21 View Post
    Pics

Info...umm it's a fun bike. I don't think you can outgrow it even though it's
    "only 400cc". It just feels special to ride, hard to explain it. Also, it will humble a lot of bigger displacement bikes in certain situations, like a tight race track for example. In a straight line it also has a similar topspeed to a fully faired SV650. You have to derestrict them first though, they're all factory limited to 180kph.

Here are some vids a friend took during the summer, they kinda suck though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5_0UZe1jZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovwz-oYuUcc - bit of wind noise, she was holding her canon powershot and me at the same time though lol... enjoy
    My rides:
    '93 Honda VFR400R (street)
    '92 Honda VFR400R (track)

Where did you get your spare rectifier? (I had to get one and I think it cost $200 - ouch!)
    -> Jeremy W <-
    -Honda CBR250R (MC17) <- Soon to be 'For Sale'
    -Honda VFR400R (NC30)
    -Suzuki GSX-R600 (K7)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_high View Post
    Where did you get your spare rectifier? (I had to get one and I think it cost $200 - ouch!)

Ultimate cycle in Hamilton. It wasn't 200 bucks that's for sure.

Did you buy the original Honda part? The guy gave me one that works from a totally different bike. It's aftermarket and is way bigger with more cooling fins. I think it's from a Yamaha of some sort. I also put a small spacer between it and the subframe before I bolted it back on. Figured it's better than having it's entire backside flat against metal. Hope it doesn't fry as quickly...next time it's getting a computer fan rigged up to it.
    My rides:
    '93 Honda VFR400R (street)
    '92 Honda VFR400R (track)

there are only really a couple configurations for the rectifier. consider doing the MOSFET rectificer mod. then you won't have to worry about it again.

http://eviltwinsbk.com/forumz/index.php?topic=276.0
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

My 250RR uses the same rectifier and plug connection that my CBR600F2 used. I had an old one for my F2 that I used to replace my 250's when it burned out. I used artic silver thermal grease when installing the replacement to ensure good contact to the subframe. There was a little grime and stuff behind the one that came on the bike.

Pics & vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxZLxrUXKT0
    My exhaust is an Over racing project exhaust. They build race bikes in Japan. Sounds okay.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

that is the best thing you can do on a honda......the old shunt type r/r on my 929RR is total junk...replaced with a mosfet typ from a zx10 and it all good rock steady voltage and way less heat! and cheap and available.

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    there are only really a couple configurations for the rectifier. consider doing the MOSFET rectificer mod. then you won't have to worry about it again.

http://eviltwinsbk.com/forumz/index.php?topic=276.0