Anybody with a Sport-Touring Motorcycle that Tours? - Page 3

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody with a Sport-Touring Motorcycle that Tours?

Hamilton (the armpit of southern Ontario)

Re: Anybody with a Sport-Touring Motorcycle that Tours?

Makin my own ST...

11000kms in 2 weeks last yr, west coast and back, not sure where I am going this yr, mebbe Key west or newfoundland.

I had mine set-up as a comfy naked, however looking back, I should have gone the ST route... the SV1K is a really great platform to build a capable ST'er.

Last edited by Triple; 02-11-2010 at 09:04 AM.
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

Have to agree that "sport-touring" is a pretty loosey-goosey definition.

I currently ride a 2002 Yamaha FZ1. My previous bike was a Kawasaki ZR-7S - which I also saw while reading through this thread. I think you could classify either of them as "sport-touring" or equally accurately as "standard" motorcycles.

For a 125 pound female who always rides "one-up", the ZR-7S certainly had adequate power, even fully loaded with all my camping equipment, etc. The FZ1 (even a "first generation" like I have) is probably more on the "sportier" end of the scale than my old Kawi - its physically a lighter bike with considerably more horsepower.

Maybe in part because I am fairly petite, I have no trouble putting the hours on my FZ1. I'm not cramped at all and even though there is only a minimal windshield and front cowling, I'm pretty well shielded from wind buffetting. I could get a taller windshield, but the stock works fine for me. Again, the stock seat is also comfy for me, though for a larger, heavier man it might not be quite so comfy over the long haul.

I have seen some women riding big, kick-***** touring bikes, but I like having a bike that is small enough for me to handle should I have to push it or pick it up (yep, I've had to, though fortunately never fully loaded). So I think the sport-tourer aka standard bike is a nice compromise for those of us on the smaller side.
    A true friend will let you sit on his Busa

Hamilton (the armpit of southern Ontario)

I agree with many of your points, but there certainly are "designed" sport-tourers... like the Honda ST's, Yamaha FJR's, BMW RS's, etc. I guess where the lines get blurry are on standards, nakeds and other sport-bikes (busas, SV's, etc.) that are set-up for touring... some lean more towards sport others lean more towards basic touring. I mentioned in a previous post that the new generation Goldwings are arguably "sporty" and they sure can tour -- however, I feel confident in labelling them "tourers"
    Last edited by Triple; 02-11-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

I ride a Bandit 1250, had to modify the seat, added a bigger winddhsield, a top box. Went in a couple of 3-4 days rides, it does a good job for the money.

Pros - big engine, lots of torque, decent handling in twisties, should not be taken though for an SS , cheap, reliable.
    Cons - a bit on the heavy side (not an SS ) in the twistyes, front suspension could be easily improved, eats the rear tire due to (my) weight and torque.

I have to agree, the discussion resides in SPORT-touring versus sport-TOURING. I would see the Yamaha FJR and BMW GT for example in the sport-TOURING catgory, while FZ1, Bandit, Triumph Sprint, K1200S or touring modified SVs 1K more like SPORT-touring. And then it's the SS bike made more comfortable which is and SS - tourer Bikes like VStrom or BMW GS are more in the Sport-Adventure category in my opinion.

I toured on my old Katana...loved it. Currently looking for a bandit 650 for some big k runs...almost pulled the trigger on a vulcan 900 but i think I will hold out for the bandit

Suzuki DR650. Motarded. Pelican cases. Duffle bag. Bobs your uncle.

05 Kat 750 with Corbin seat tank bag and ordering a givi top rack hope to do my first overnight tour up north this year!

I have a DL650 V vstrom, all geared up, I put on 30k last year touring around. I am from the KW area, aways looking for a biking/camping buddy

FZ6 - Yellowstone National Park - 8000kms in 11 days. Came back with a rash .... but totally in-tact otherwise. My cruiser buddies were wiped.

I have to agree though. I think the FZ6 or FZ1 for a full sizer is a little cramped quarters for that long a trip. But around the city methinks i'd rather have the lighter bike.

Points of interest:

Burned out the factory tires (now with Metzelers). Equipped with a Puig windscreen (highly recommended). Get a good helmut (wind flow - i have and exo 1000 is it's great) and good ear plugs (i've gotta figure this one out). Any of these can make your trip me enjoyable.

Quick question, why so much gear? Checklist:

Rain Gear
    Toiletries
    Down vest (seasonal)
    Long johns
    Total change of clothing
    Extra undies
    Swim suit
    Shorts
    As Cheesy a Hawaiian shirt i can find
    Deck shoes
    Hat

All in a small grab bag bungied to the seat. I know if you have the room you use it but ...

Maybe we should start a post as to "What do you pack?"

I'm a chronic overpacker.

For me, getting rid of jeans is key to making space. I bought some zip off pants from Tilley that pack really small, and that saved a lot of room.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Oh I can tour!

SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Funny, I complained that my Sprint was way too fast to be a touring bike the whole time I owned it.

Used to have time for touring and I hope I will again. The reason I sold the Sprint is that I didn't have enough time for multi-day trips anymore. Wish I was one of those guys. I sure like the idea of towing a trailer with my GSX-R, though... hahaha
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

Omnivore,

The more I look at your setup, the more I can justify the price of that Third Wheel Trailer.

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

Inside trailer:
    2 man tent, sleeping bag, camp chair, camp pot and cooking utensils, 6 cans of stew, 6 pack of bottled water, extra gloves, boot covers, rain suit, tool kit, first aid kit, clothes for a week inside a backpack, personal hygeine stuff, a towel, laptop, 2 cameras, various chargers for cameras, batteries, ipod, a pair of sneakers, and my back protector sometimes when I was boiling in traffic. I msy be forgetting a thing or two but you get the idea. I arrive at destination, remove whole trailer in 30 seconds, wheel it into motel room. Everything in it remains safe and dry.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I've put on 40K KM in three seasons on my '06 FZ6, 24k km of that last season. Including going to Skyline Dr/BRP, Cabot Trail (7k km in 7 days of riding), Quebec, Ohio, and many trips to Muskoka and elsewhere. Very decent sport tourer for my needs. Comfortable riding position from the factory and fairly capable handling, 350km fuel range too.

I've added a Corbin seat, Throttlemeisters, soft luggage, and GPS to help with the touring stuff. Only negative is the wind noise which I'll either replace the windshield or cut down the factory one.

Nice set up omnivore!!

Who is the manufacturer of the trailer? I'm looking at setting something up like that and the only one I know of is a uni-go trailer.
    08 gl1800

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Inside trailer:
    2 man tent, sleeping bag, camp chair, camp pot and cooking utensils, 6 cans of stew, 6 pack of bottled water, extra gloves, boot covers, rain suit, tool kit, first aid kit, clothes for a week inside a backpack, personal hygeine stuff, a towel, laptop, 2 cameras, various chargers for cameras, batteries, ipod, a pair of sneakers, and my back protector sometimes when I was boiling in traffic. I msy be forgetting a thing or two but you get the idea. I arrive at destination, remove whole trailer in 30 seconds, wheel it into motel room. Everything in it remains safe and dry.
    you're missing the kitchen sink

Why do u take a 2 man tent, sleeping bag, camping chair, camp pot, cooking utensils when u stay in a motel room?

I like the look of the trailer, pretty cool

On my way to Indy, I camp. Then when I arrive in Indy I stay in a motel. I take a week to do the trip so I am prepared for anything.

www.thirdwheeltrailers.com

This unit is much more sophisticated in the frame and suspension design than the Uni-Go. I was first enamoured with the Uni-Go back in 2002 when Francois had one on his VFR at Deals Gap. I took a ride with him and watched in action. I was astounded, and wanted one. But back then they were made in New Zealand and cost over $3800 US. I couldn't afford it even if I wanted one. I always kept my eye on this type of setup since then, and the last couple yrs started doing research. It seems almost all Uni-Go riders commonly complain about suspension compliance, and weaving/wobbling when passing transport trucks on the freeway. So I looked into their designs, to the point of dismantling one and standing on top of it's frame to test the suspension without the body attached. It is a primitive, non progressive, single wound coil spring cantilevered on a very short swingarm. About 45 lbs is needed to begin suspension compression of the Uni-Go and a further 10-15 lbs will completely compress the spring leaving no bump compliance for road irregularities or centrifugal force in corners when the trailer load exceeds 45 lbs. Also their shape and flat front must be conducive the the weaving so many Uni-Go riders complain of. The Uni-Go is now made in Ohio and prices have come down to about $3000 US. Better, but not as good as a 3rdWheel. And the Uni-Go requires a hitch to be hung from the rear subframe of your bike. Ugly, heavy, and semi-permanent. Also the hitch requires your bike's rear suspension to deal with any tongue weight or ballast of the trailer. The 3rdWheel hitch system places all trailer loads straight thru the bike's rear axle, and all evidence of the trailer is removed in a mere 30 seconds or less.

I also looked into the CDN made Cyclops as it's price is similar to the 3rdWheel, but it's built very agriculturally. Sloppy workmanship, heavy tube steel frame, wheel barrow type wheel. It looks like someone made it in their backyard.

The 3rdWheel lived up to all of my expectation and more.
    Last edited by omnivore; 03-16-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6

Quote Originally Posted by regder View Post
    ... Only negative is the wind noise which I'll either replace the windshield or cut down the factory one.
    I've had the factory, puig, and puig double bouble racing shield. The last looks like a sea shell but works the best for no turbulence. I'd like better wind protection but from everything i've read our bikes ('06 fz6 as well) just don't fair well with the factory touring windshield. I've seen a lanier installed, looks like crap but apparently does an adequate job.

I'm going to drop in at a hearing clinic and see if i can get some made specifically for me. Cannot get those ear plugs to seat properly.

VFR-baby! There's a reason it's been labelled the best all-rounder for years....although Honda may have just ended that era with the latest version.