Anybody with a Sport-Touring Motorcycle that Tours? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody with a Sport-Touring Motorcycle that Tours?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Anybody with a Sport-Touring Motorcycle that Tours?

On my way to Indy, I camp. Then when I arrive in Indy I stay in a motel. I take a week to do the trip so I am prepared for anything.

www.thirdwheeltrailers.com

This unit is much more sophisticated in the frame and suspension design than the Uni-Go. I was first enamoured with the Uni-Go back in 2002 when Francois had one on his VFR at Deals Gap. I took a ride with him and watched in action. I was astounded, and wanted one. But back then they were made in New Zealand and cost over $3800 US. I couldn't afford it even if I wanted one. I always kept my eye on this type of setup since then, and the last couple yrs started doing research. It seems almost all Uni-Go riders commonly complain about suspension compliance, and weaving/wobbling when passing transport trucks on the freeway. So I looked into their designs, to the point of dismantling one and standing on top of it's frame to test the suspension without the body attached. It is a primitive, non progressive, single wound coil spring cantilevered on a very short swingarm. About 45 lbs is needed to begin suspension compression of the Uni-Go and a further 10-15 lbs will completely compress the spring leaving no bump compliance for road irregularities or centrifugal force in corners when the trailer load exceeds 45 lbs. Also their shape and flat front must be conducive the the weaving so many Uni-Go riders complain of. The Uni-Go is now made in Ohio and prices have come down to about $3000 US. Better, but not as good as a 3rdWheel. And the Uni-Go requires a hitch to be hung from the rear subframe of your bike. Ugly, heavy, and semi-permanent. Also the hitch requires your bike's rear suspension to deal with any tongue weight or ballast of the trailer. The 3rdWheel hitch system places all trailer loads straight thru the bike's rear axle, and all evidence of the trailer is removed in a mere 30 seconds or less.

I also looked into the CDN made Cyclops as it's price is similar to the 3rdWheel, but it's built very agriculturally. Sloppy workmanship, heavy tube steel frame, wheel barrow type wheel. It looks like someone made it in their backyard.

The 3rdWheel lived up to all of my expectation and more.
    Last edited by omnivore; 03-16-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I had an older Kawi Concours 1000cc. Top heavy but cast iron solid. Not flickable but a decent small tourer that didnt look like a Harley or Goldwing. Switched to a Goldwing.

I ride an '08 Suzuki Bandit 1250 with the factory side panniers and love it. In 9 months of riding I have logged over 34,000km on it.
    Mods:
    heated grips
    taller Power Bronze windscreen
    Supertrapp exhaust
    LED tail lights and signal lights
    and soon Buell pegs to give me more leg length for my long limbs (I am 6'3")
    It is also the bike I am using for season one of The Planet Tour
    http://www.theplanettour.com/
    Here are a few pics of the travels of Suzy B (the name I dubbed her)
    Inside a giant redwood N Calif

Sunset Beach - Oregon

Near Joshua Tree National Forest- Calif.
    Once I thought I was wrong.... but I was mistaken!

Quote Originally Posted by daddymakk View Post
    I ride an '08 Suzuki Bandit 1250 with the factory side panniers and love it.
    I love watching your show. You really have to make the episodes longer though!

..Tom
    Last edited by V-Tom; 04-10-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Hamilton (the armpit of southern Ontario)

Thinking ahead to my upcoming over-nighter at Parry Sound Sport Bike Rally... here's my touring-sport set-up:

I still need to purchase a Wolfman Expedition dry duffle bag to hold my tent and other larger items:

2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

oh, i'd love to chim in.

I have a naked sv650. In the first three months I did 15 000kms across 5 provinces (BC, Alberta, Sask, Manitoba and Ontario)

Here`s mine. Pic taken in Key West.

Been all over Pennsylvania, NY, Deal`s, Quebec, pretty much all of Ontario up to the Sault. Its also been down to Florida Keys . Just starting second season this year and am at 26,000kms. Love her, but will enjoy it alot more once my corbin arrives in a few weeks .
    Here`s how she`s setup:
    Hid headlights on there way, PIAA fork mounted hid`s, MRA adjustable windscreen, heated grips, hardwired GPS and Sirius Sat radio, 110 power inverter, 12v outlet, battery monitor, Strebel air horn, Yoshi pipe, Michelin PR2`s and the full 3 piece Givi hard cases.

What a gorgeous set-up! Its hard to deny that Suzuki did an A-1 job with the newest generation Bandit. The hard luggage is icing on the cake.
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

My current ride is shaft drive. This is my first shafty and I can say that I don't miss chains!

As for weight,... yeah she's a big girl, but big girls need lov'in to! The weight works to your advantage on the highway. She feels planted and stable at any speed. City traffic is a bit of a chore, but nothing I really notice anymore.

my '05 Hayabusa in sport-touring mode:

~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    I tour extensively. Sold a Wee-Strom and now have a Triumph Tiger. It has hard side bags as well as a top case.

Right now I am sitting in Indiana having ridden over 1600 km's the last 2 days. Should be in Ontario tomorrow. Once I get plates switched on the bike, I am taking off again, for South Carolina, possibly Florida and then Texas. I own a motorcycle to tour and see the world; so much better than sitting in a car.
    Please do a comparison between the strom and the Tiger.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

After fighting (and spending big $$) with sport touring and sport-adventure touring motorcycles in an effort make them more comfortable and accommodating, I decided to simplify and buy a motorcycle that fits me. Not overly "inspiring", but this is my new touring mount with a hint of sport. I plan on taking her wherever the roads lead. It has brand new factory spec tires, but I will be swapping them out for a pair of Anakees. The only other "mods" are a taller Hondaline windshield (on order) for better highway wind protection and a 12V outlet for my portable air pump and Blackberry/GPS charger. The soft bags and possbily a waterproof PVS roll will adequately meet my luggage needs.

It currently sports a National Cycle "F-16 Touring" windshield, which I think looks great and provides fairly effective wind protection for smaller rides.

48-52 mpg!!

Last edited by Triple; 04-18-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    After fighting (and spending big $$) with sport touring and sport-adventure touring motorcycles in an effort make them more comfortable and accommodating, I decided to simplify and buy a motorcycle that fits me. Not overly "inspiring", but this is my new touring mount with a hint of sport. I plan on taking her wherever the roads lead. It has brand new factory spec tires, but I will be swapping them out for a pair of Anakees. The only other "mods" are a taller Hondaline windshield (on order) for better highway wind protection and a 12V outlet for my portable air pump and Blackberry/GPS charger. The soft bags and possbily a waterproof PVS roll will adequately meet my luggage needs.

It currently sports a National Cycle "F-16 Touring" windshield, which I think looks great and provides fairly effective wind protection for smaller rides.

48-52 mpg!!

where in the heck did you get that ? i was not even aware that Honda brought those to Canada anymore ? I had a 91 model :P

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    where in the heck did you get that ? i was not even aware that Honda brought those to Canada anymore ? I had a 91 model :P
    They were only brought into Canada in 1991. They were previously imported from 1982 to 1986, though I have yet to see a 1986 model. They were imported into the US until 2003. This is a 2001 model from Maryland. The previous owner trailored it here two years ago.

Nice thread res!!

I got my 1997 VFR750. Love it. I've taken it up to a Elephant Lake on a nice day trip early last year, and in Oct11 I rode it down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Deals Gap.

Great Sport Touring Bike!

-Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

48-52 mpg!!
    Very nice setup, i plan to do exactly the same with my 92 Yamaha Seca II!

P.S. is there still room for a passenger with those soft saddle bags attached? reason i ask is because i was thinking of putting them on however i plan to tour with a passenger
    150cc GY6 scooter-Sold.
    1992 Yamaha XJ 600, Street Fighter.
    LOOK FOR Dual Reflective Punisher Patches

Not overly "inspiring", but this is my new touring mount with a hint of sport.
    Why not? You have a very nice looking bike that has character and a reliable engine that's powerful enough for long distance touring. From what I can see, the ergos are great for touring too, so what's not to like? Kudos on finding what's right for you and screw those that suffer just so they can ride a chick magnet.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Why not? You have a very nice looking bike that has character and a reliable engine that's powerful enough for long distance touring. From what I can see, the ergos are great for touring too, so what's not to like? Kudos on finding what's right for you and screw those that suffer just so they can ride a chick magnet.
    Thanks!... Actually I love it, and it actually inspires me. Its no stump puller like my previous three beasts: SV1000S, Tiger 955i, and K1200RS, but its fairly light and has excellent, smooth acceleration. It also has a lower center of gravity unlike my prevous 4 motorcycles (add KLR650), which makes its very easy to navigate in tight traffic. That motor is an absolute gem, and the stock non-adjustable suspenders actually work!!

BTW, after 16 years of "togetherness" with my current wife, I ride to run away from women in general!!
    Last edited by Triple; 04-19-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armen444 View Post
    Very nice setup, i plan to do exactly the same with my 92 Yamaha Seca II!

P.S. is there still room for a passenger with those soft saddle bags attached? reason i ask is because i was thinking of putting them on however i plan to tour with a passenger
    I have a similar bike to yours, and the model down from Vlad's (Bandit 600).

With an upgraded seat, we find it's comfty for a few hours for my fiancee but I'm not sure we could do multi-day. Her knees are quite bent and she's leaned over. We've done a 500km day 2-up but she was sore after - and so was I.

At one of the 'super show' motorbike shows, I showed her an old used Kawi Concours and we sat on it. We both went 'ahhhh' when we sat down together on it, it was nice! The looks didn't win her over, but she definitely loved the ergos and could see the appeal.

I use a top box and it works great, and doubles as a backrest. I also have side cases, but haven't tried them yet. They could encroach (not sure), but more than that, my bike is very softly-sprung stock so I don't want to overload it.

From what I've heard and seen, when it comes to touring with a passenger, a touring bike makes more and more sense. I've heard feedback from guys with similar bikes (late-model Katana, VFR) who've told me that it's a good comfty mount solo but not good long distance 2-up. I've heard that V-Stroms work much better that way.

But hey, it's worth a try!
    Last edited by honduhmatic; 04-19-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by honduhmatic View Post
    I have a similar bike to yours, and the model down from Vlad's (Bandit 600).

With an upgraded seat, we find it's comfty for a few hours for my fiancee but I'm not sure we could do multi-day. Her knees are quite bent and she's leaned over. We've done a 500km day 2-up but she was sore after - and so was I.

At one of the 'super show' motorbike shows, I showed her an old used Kawi Concours and we sat on it. We both went 'ahhhh' when we sat down together on it, it was nice! The looks didn't win her over, but she definitely loved the ergos and could see the appeal.

I use a top box and it works great, and doubles as a backrest. I also have side cases, but haven't tried them yet. They could encroach (not sure), but more than that, my bike is very softly-sprung stock so I don't want to overload it.

From what I've heard and seen, when it comes to touring with a passenger, a touring bike makes more and more sense. I've heard feedback from guys with similar bikes (late-model Katana, VFR) who've told me that it's a good comfty mount solo but not good long distance 2-up. I've heard that V-Stroms work much better that way.

But hey, it's worth a try!
    googled "Bandit 600" our bikes are almost identical :P Ya i did exactly the same with my tank bag, i just lean ontop of it when i get tired or lazy :P Definitely, the V-Storm's raised tank/windshield along with a lowered riding position should allow for more comfortable riding even with a passenger.
    Thanks for the feedback
    150cc GY6 scooter-Sold.
    1992 Yamaha XJ 600, Street Fighter.
    LOOK FOR Dual Reflective Punisher Patches