Big, short-notice trip - to NC via PA, Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the dragon

Thread: Big, short-notice trip - to NC via PA, Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the dragon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Big, short-notice trip - to NC via PA, Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the dragon

Hi guys,

Planning my first big trip. I quit my job and have a week or so to burn from April 30 - May 4th. I've always wanted to do a motorbike trip - I'm getting married later this year, and had initially planned to do the East Coast and Gaspé. However, this is when my week off came up and I figured the East could be pretty cold.

Anyways, my plan is:

Day 1: After my last day at work, cross the border near Buffalo and get as far south as I can. Thinking I'll spend the night in Ellicottville or Bradford PA?

Day 2: SR44 and HWY 15 through PA, and then take sideroads to get to Skyline Trail and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Call it a day maybe at Roanoke?;

Day 3: Drive south to Chapel Hill, hope to get there for noon?

Day 4: Hang w/ fam in Chapel Hill;

Day 5: Leave Chapel Hill, drive N to VA, take the BRP over to Asheville or a little farther;

Day 6: Ride the Dragon and roads around there;

Days 7 and 8: Ride home, straight north. I could slab it, or take sideroads - we'll see how I'm doing. Probably stop once I get to Ohio?

The bike is a Suzuki Bandit 600 with an upgraded seat, a better windscreen, a Throttle Rocker and hard luggage. I have lowered Buell footpegs in the mail, hoping they get in before the ride - as well as carb parts! I'll have to get a rainsuit before the trip as well.

I'm definitely open to suggestions - any ideas?

I'm thinking my Day 2 seems long-ish - if I can do it, I might have to treat myself to a motel with a hot tub that night. My longest day so far is 700 kms and I was sore at the end, but functional.

If anyone's around BRP or the Dragon while I'll be (Wed May 2nd?), would be up for hanging out. Also, would enjoy suggestions for places to stay and things to see.

Re: Big, short-notice trip - to NC via PA, Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the dragon

Day 2 is way off, especially if you're taking the BRP the whole way. Speed limits are low on that road, and even if you are really cooking, your chances of doing more than 500 kms on that twisty piece of heaven are pretty slim.

Having ridden the entire BRP / Skyline drive 3 times now, let me give you some advice. Enjoy the road. I'm not telling you to do the speed limit - that's your own business, and frankly there are sections of that road that are too good to do at the low speed limit on that road, but it's such an amazing road that it's best to make the most of it. If you're looking to make time, take the interstate. I'm doing a very similar run (my 4th time) about a week after you. I've always found that it's best to just haul *** to get to Front Royal, where Skyline Drive starts. Don't waste your time on backroads in PA - they're nice, but if your goal is the BRP, then make some choices.

Don't ride at dawn on the BRP, and don't ride at dusk. There are lots of animals on the road, and the road tends to be very foggy, especialy this time of year. It will be cold - remember, it runs the crest of a mountain range. It will be wet. There will be tons of places for you to pull off and soak in the view. Bring a camera.

My two suggestions for you - Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley (check their website for their hours, they're closed a couple of days a week) and Grandfather Mountain in NC.

It's going to be an awesome ride for you - I don't think there's anywhere else quite like the BRP in North America.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Re: Big, short-notice trip - to NC via PA, Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the dragon

Quote Originally Posted by honduhmatic View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm thinking my Day 2 seems long-ish
    You can always see how it goes - if you need to make up a little time, you can skip Skyline Drive - its slow, slow, slow 35 mph. I'm not a fan - you will get miles and miles of same thing on the Blue Ridge for the northern half - at 45 mph (can cheat a little up, but not much - aside from being patrolled, there's wildlife everywhere) and won't cost you ten bucks. However, that's just me.

Do you have heated gloves or grips? Once you get further south should be fine, but the Skyline and northern part of the Blue Ridge can still be mighty cold in April/May - especially in the mornings. We froze our tails off in August in some of the higher elevations.

You can't really go wrong once you are there - I really liked the Cherahola and there was another route I just can't remember the name of - we kind of meandered around, aside from doing the Dragon - I'll have to look on my map when I get home.

Two days back on the interstates is easily doable.

The Port Motel in Port Allegheny (near Bradford)...cheap first stop.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Thanks for the advice!

I have heated overgrips so check!

Thinking about it, I think you're right (oomis) on Day 2. Also, I have taken 219 through PA (on a failed ski trip to Blue Knob) and it's not a bad piece of road. I can probably cut some time that way. PA isn't too far or at all out of the question for a future weekend.

hundu I did this trip last year in July.
    but I'm pretty lazy and haven't typed it out.
    if you want to hook up sometime at a Tims I can fill your head with info.

Listen to the advice about dusk and dawn (was never up early enough for dawn). I've never seen so many deer on the roads as I did on the BRP at dusk! I foolishly thought that I could do the BRP in a day of hard riding. I wasnt even close! OH, and I was speeding like a demon! On large sections I was in the 80mph band ( was in a hurry to get home and the roads are begging you to ride faster). Beginning and ends of the BRP are swarming with rangers and its a good idea to slow down anytime you're close to a larger city.
    Not sure if its a common thing or not but fuel consumption is something to think about. My friends bike drank fuel like crazy. Totally screwed him up for the first part as we almost ran out of fuel twice. Could be altitude or temps, as some newer bikes run richer when its colder. PLAN YOU FUEL STOPS. There are no gas stations on the BRP. We got off at one point and had to ride another 15 miles to the gas station. Not fun with your fuel light on.
    If you can time it right, the little Switzerland hotel is awesome and in a good spot. Stay overnight and run the diamondback in the morning!
    2004 R1150RTP
    1998 Ducati 944