Looking to get an Sv650s in the spring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get an Sv650s in the spring

Looking to get an Sv650s in the spring

Hi there,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Alex and I am 17 year old (18 in june) male living in Oakville. I recently became really interested in bikes, especially after taking the safety course offered at Sheriden college. I got my M2 recently and as soon as the snow clears up, I will be hunting around for a 2nd gen Sv650s.

Originally, I really wanted to purchase a super sport like a Cbr600rr, however, after reading what veteran riders had to say, I realized that no matter how mature I ride or how much I respect the bike, my lack of experience could still put me in unneccessary danger. Thus, with much reluctance and acceptance I decided to go with the Sv650s.

To my knowledge, it is regarded as a good beginner bike that is really forgiving. I would really like to know what you guys think. I am 5'11 and 200 pounds, would this be a good size of bike for me (too big? too small?). Also, what type of yearly insurance would I be looking at (range)?

I would be definately be buying used and budget would be around 4-5 grand. Another option I was considering was purchasing the bike from the states as I found that the prices are relatively cheaper than Canada. I bought my car in the states and had a great experience (saved about 5k) and was wondering if anyone can share their experiences with purchasing from the states. My only concern with buying from the states would be the ride back. I was planning on avoiding highway riding and rush hour local traffic until I feel confident enough with my skills.

Lastly, I am saving a sum of 1000 dollars exclusively for safety gear (Im a wuss ) and was wondering if that is overkill.

Thanks for taking the time to read this ridiculously long post and possibly answering some of my questions! .

Re: Looking to get an Sv650s in the spring

Insurance all depends on your driving record, where you live, plus a few other things. At your age any 600cc bike SS or not will be pretty expensive to insure. So before you jump the gun and buy your bike it would be best to get quotes from as many insurance companies as possible.
    Buy from the states if you are looking for a bike at low cost, and have shipping company deliver it to you or you could rent a truck or trailer and pick it up yourself.

welcome to the forum.
    I would suggest the same, to check with your insurance company and get a quote on the bike that you wanna purchase, sometimes you will be suprised how much they wanna charge you~
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

welcome to GTAM.

about the insurance cost... call around now and ask to avoid sticker shock.

as for the appropriateness of the SV650/S as a first bike; one of the learn-to-motorcycle reference books I read through regularly esteems the SV650 as the best all-round beginner bike.

... and setting aside funds to invest in gear is prudent, not wussy.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

I currently have a SV for my street bike. (see sig pic)
    I'm the same size and weight as you ans it fits well.
    I've had a LOT of different bikes and I really like it.
    At you're age. Insurance is going to be a killer unfortunately.

I have the 1st Gen, which is similar in terms of ergos, and I'm 6ft 190lbs. Bike's pretty good size for me. Had a ZZR-250, was a bit too small.

I agree with John though that considering your age, insurance may still bite you compared to a 500 or 250cc.

$1,000 is good for gear. You can spend way less of course if you look for bargains, buy from the States (newenough.com is a site I recommend) or used. I wouldn't buy a used helmet but nothing wrong with used jackets, IMO. I got a name brand leather one in decent shape for $30 last year.

Finally, since you're willing to travel, check Quebec for prices, too. They're selling their bikes cheap over there due to new punitive fees.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

as for gear. watch kijiji and be patient. I picked up a icon accelerant leather jacket, hjc fs 15 helmet with 2 lenses, gauntlet gloves, and icon field armor boots. all had the brand new smell to em. jacket still had tags on it (450). boots were worn maybe 2 times. helmet was new. gloves are mint. alllll for 350. guy bought it at end of year and cant ride anymore. 1000 on new gear. if ur cheap like me wait out the deals they are out there.

But definitely get an sv. i was thinking about it then looked at svrider.com and was hooked. ur insurance will be high untill you get the 1 year riding experience ( i think)

Banned

I had a 2001 Sv650s. One of my favourite bikes. Maybe not the most powerful or best handling. It does have a great fun factor. I thought it was a great learner bike. Very forgiving and easy to ride. I wish i never sold mine honestly.
    The only real CON i can tell you is about the seat. The worst seat ive ever sit on bar none. A piece of oak would have been more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by NewfieBoy View Post
    ...The worst seat ive ever sit on bar none. A piece of oak would have been more comfortable.

Don't know about worst ever but your **** will definitely go on strike after a couple of hours. That's why I picked up a used Sargent for this season.
    Last edited by DemonPig; 02-12-2010 at 11:22 AM.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Banned

My ***** wasnt the problem. Its the b@ll$. The bike is designed to put all of your weight flat on the jewels.

Have you gotten an insurance quote yet? I would expect about $1,700/year, minimum. Let us know what you get quoted, inquiring minds would like to know

FYI - the sv650s is not VERY forgiving like you stated. It's just more forgiving than a ss600 under certain circumstances.

Mine topped out at 220km/h and I found that it was LESS forgiving in the city streets. Reason being is because it had so much torque. At low rpms the bike was really jerky, especially in the corners. You have to be very careful about your throttle control. It also never had a slipper clutch so the back tire locked up if you didn't match your rpms when downshifting quickly. And if it locked up and you weren't completely straight it can thow you off pretty easily.

Now with my gixxer, at low rpms the bike does nothing, but its like a rocket taking off so the speed creeps up on you very quickly. So that is why some say its less forgiving. The slipper clutch (standard on the 06+ gsxxers) reduce the likelyhood of the back tire locking up on you.

Moral is, take your time no matter what bike you have.
    Last edited by strictlye; 02-16-2010 at 07:27 AM.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Levi-sama View Post
    Hi there,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Alex and I am 17 year old (18 in june) male living in Oakville. I recently became really interested in bikes, especially after taking the safety course offered at Sheriden college. I got my M2 recently and as soon as the snow clears up, I will be hunting around for a 2nd gen Sv650s.

Originally, I really wanted to purchase a super sport like a Cbr600rr, however, after reading what veteran riders had to say, I realized that no matter how mature I ride or how much I respect the bike, my lack of experience could still put me in unneccessary danger. Thus, with much reluctance and acceptance I decided to go with the Sv650s.

To my knowledge, it is regarded as a good beginner bike that is really forgiving. I would really like to know what you guys think. I am 5'11 and 200 pounds, would this be a good size of bike for me (too big? too small?). Also, what type of yearly insurance would I be looking at (range)?

I would be definately be buying used and budget would be around 4-5 grand. Another option I was considering was purchasing the bike from the states as I found that the prices are relatively cheaper than Canada. I bought my car in the states and had a great experience (saved about 5k) and was wondering if anyone can share their experiences with purchasing from the states. My only concern with buying from the states would be the ride back. I was planning on avoiding highway riding and rush hour local traffic until I feel confident enough with my skills.

Lastly, I am saving a sum of 1000 dollars exclusively for safety gear (Im a wuss ) and was wondering if that is overkill.

Thanks for taking the time to read this ridiculously long post and possibly answering some of my questions! .
    I have a Joe Rocket SuperMoto 2 piece suite that I wore about 4 times in total. I would let it go for $500.

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    FYI - the sv650s is not VERY forgiving like you stated. It's just more forgiving than a ss600 under certain circumstances.

Mine topped out at 220km/h and I found that it was LESS for giving in the city streets. Reason being is because it had so much torque. At low rpms the bike was really jerky, especially in the corners. You have to be very careful about your throttle control. It also never had a slipper clutch so the bike tired locked up if you didn't match your rpms when downshifting quickly. And if it locked up and you weren't completely straight it can thow you off pretty easily.

Now with my gixxer, at low rpms the bike does nothing, but its like a rocket taking off so the speed creeps up on you very quickly. So that is why some say its less forgiving. The slipper clutch (standard on the 06+ gsxxers) reduce the likelyhood of the back tire locking up on you.

Moral is, take your time no matter what bike you have.
    This is what I always preach about the SV650. +1 Brother.

i had a 1st gen SV650S for awhile. I liked it.

Crack open the throttle all the way, and the bike remained pretty composed albeit peppy. the steering was pretty stable too. Shocks were a little mushy for my 190lbs, but very manageable.

I'd say a good beginner bike.

If you want even more forgiving and perhaps a little cheaper on insurance, i'd suggest the Ninja250R or the Kawi EX250. Very decent bike, good speed, handles well and very affordable.

bottom line though: a bike is a bike. you'll have to be careful on anything you start out on, and then continue being careful, especially after you start feeling comfortable on it.

spend as much money on gear as you can afford. Stay away from blinged out graphics helmets or styling, though. The solid coloured versions are much cheaper.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

buy a 125 or a 250....ride that for a month, then upgrade.

3 years ago, I had a 1st gen sv650 for two months. Got rear ended, written off.

Last year I got a GS500 to get back into riding. The GS500 weighs less, has less torque (less jerky, requires less throttle precision) making it alot easier to learn on. Maybe because I rode a sv before, but I find that gs500 a breeze to manouver around even in gridlock and tight parking lots.

This year got a 2nd gen sv650, can't wait to ride it.

I would suggest something like a 500 to start. I also weigh around 150lbs, someone that weighs more will have less trouble with a bigger bike.

just my two cents.

i just got on a 02 SV as well after riding a 250 for 2 years. Still young, so can't afford insurance on a sportbike.

plenty of power for around town. the torque is crazy first time i cracked it open. but the power curve is really smooth, unlike a I4 600 with the 1st "oh crap" at 7k then a big "OH ****" at 14-15k. you need to be more careful with throttle hand for sure.

it also feels a bit top heavy. stock suspension is supposed to be mushy but that can be upgraded over time.

keep in mind the torque and engine braking and you'll be fine. i've locked the back wheel by just engine braking and using the front brake too hard.

check insurance too. my first year, they wanted about the same for the SV as the 600. with 500 just $200 less. so i ended up on a 250.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aznk View Post
    ... The GS500 weighs less ...
    That is actually not true. GS500 weighs ~380-400lbs while SV650 is ~365-385lbs. Variances depend on the year and the sub-model.

But I do agree that even though SV is amazing, a 500cc, parallel engine, motorcycle is generally better suited for a newbie. SVs are torquey at low RPM.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    That is actually not true. GS500 weighs ~380-400lbs while SV650 is ~365-385lbs.
    You are right, I stand corrected.

I guess the GS500 may have a lower center of gravity than the SV?
    In any case, the narrower tank and the upright riding position definitely makes the GS friendlier and more manageble.