Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fireball Performance Coating - STAY AWAY

Re: Fireball Performance Coating - STAY AWAY

be nice if someone could recommend a shop that:

A) does good powder coating
    B) will do the strip and prep as well
    C) good price
    D) respond to email!!

In my search last year i found several shops, the odd one would respond to email but none would respond reliably!!

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Reviving this thread because I still don't have the answer I need. Some time has passed since the last poster wrote here so I'm wondering if anyone else has some new feedback about Fireball Coatings

Now no shop is perfect and people are generally more movtivated to write about a bad experience than a good one (unless it's extremely good). The owner stuck his neck out in this thread to apologize and make things right for people on this forum (After reading some other business reviews on here I personally feel that speaks volumes about him) Fireball is still in business so he has to be doing something right, right? And I do know that a skilled tradesman that also has excellent customer service skills is not that easy to find but I need more feedback about this business as I recently found them on Kijiji and I'm considering driving up to Erin to use them for powder coating on my rims. His pricing seems very reasonable at 75-100 per rim with all stripping and prep included. He's quoted a 2-3 day turnaround time but I'm not a stickler for that since it's November and I'm not riding the bike any time soon. I just want quality work.

OR, is there another place that GTAM members can highly recommend???

Also because of the link to pics posted above I'm not going to that Bradford shop. That quality of work is exactly what I don't want.

Thanks for any responses in advance!!
    Last edited by neojake73; 11-17-2010 at 11:04 PM.

update: read a lot of referrals for Johnnyp636 on threads. sent him a message

Quote Originally Posted by neojake73 View Post
    Reviving this thread because I still don't have the answer I need. Some time has passed since the last poster wrote here so I'm wondering if anyone else has some new feedback about Fireball Coatings

Now no shop is perfect and people are generally more movtivated to write about a bad experience than a good one (unless it's extremely good). The owner stuck his neck out in this thread to apologize and make things right for people on this forum (After reading some other business reviews on here I personally feel that speaks volumes about him) Fireball is still in business so he has to be doing something right, right? And I do know that a skilled tradesman that also has excellent customer service skills is not that easy to find but I need more feedback about this business as I recently found them on Kijiji and I'm considering driving up to Erin to use them for powder coating on my rims. His pricing seems very reasonable at 75-100 per rim with all stripping and prep included. He's quoted a 2-3 day turnaround time but I'm not a stickler for that since it's November and I'm not riding the bike any time soon. I just want quality work.

OR, is there another place that GTAM members can highly recommend???

Also because of the link to pics posted above I'm not going to that Bradford shop. That quality of work is exactly what I don't want.

Thanks for any responses in advance!!
    $100 per rim, all prep included? That seems super cheap.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    $100 per rim, all prep included? That seems super cheap.
    That's what I was thinking but he did mention the price in a way that sounded like that's the price now before he gets busy with off season business. Or I could be just reading into his email. The other shops that I've read about here don't do the complete stripping, prep work and masking of mating surfaces. (oh yah, that price includes masking the mating surfaces correctly for reassembly). It seems like most shops won't do that for you. I really am trying to find a place that knows M/C rims and does the complete work and does it well. His price seems really good but I don't want to get into a "you got what you paid for" scenario.

Try Total Coatings in Stoney Creek.

http://www.totalcoatings.com/

I've had about 30 sets of wheels, many frames, rearsets and other items done by them.

Another satisfied customer of Total Coatings.

I had 4 rims done in fluorescent orange and they've stood up VERY well. Two years with them now.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Try Total Coatings in Stoney Creek.

http://www.totalcoatings.com/

I've had about 30 sets of wheels, many frames, rearsets and other items done by them.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Another satisfied customer of Total Coatings.

I had 4 rims done in fluorescent orange and they've stood up VERY well. Two years with them now.
    Excellent. I'll give them a call or shoot them an email. Thanks

Excellent. I'll give them a call or shoot them an email. Thanks
    Grant (the owner) told me that if your rims are in good shape now, you dont really have to strip the paint thats on them.

Prep is easy if you have some basic tools. Knock the bearings out, then tape over the rotor bolt holes and bearing races with aluminum foil tape that you can get at any hardware store. NOT DUCT TAPE..

If you take the rim in bare, his rates are a lot better than 75-100 per rim.

Grant (the owner) told me that if your rims are in good shape now, you dont really have to strip the paint thats on them.

Prep is easy if you have some basic tools. Knock the bearings out, then tape over the rotor bolt holes and bearing races with aluminum foil tape that you can get at any hardware store. NOT DUCT TAPE..

If you take the rim in bare, his rates are a lot better than 75-100 per rim.
    Ok I shot them an email. The rims are in mint condition, not a scratch. Bringing in a bare rim seems easy enough but do these places take rubber off or is that something I gotta do? Also is there a specific reason for aluminum foil tape?

I've done about 10 sets of supermoto wheels that see FAR more debris and damage than any road wheel and and we've never stripped them.

The coatings still look new and fresh other than the odd nick from chain slap or flying rocks.

I've done anodized spoke rims and forged aluminum wheels this way with great results.

I have a set of MX wheels we tried an experiment with, coating the spokes, along with the hubs and rims(I was too lazy to re-lace the spokes)

They still look awesome after a couple of seasons of racing.

Ok I shot them an email. The rims are in mint condition, not a scratch. Bringing in a bare rim seems easy enough but do these places take rubber off or is that something I gotta do? Also is there a specific reason for aluminum foil tape?
    aluminum tape does not burn in the hi temp oven.

They won't remove the rubber, I'm close by their location, and I can remove the rubber if you want.

aluminum tape does not burn in the hi temp oven.

They won't remove the rubber, I'm close by their location, and I can remove the rubber if you want.
    Like Recip says, most other tapes will melt in the oven and there's a good chance they'll fall off. If they do there's a chance they will land on another part of the rim and mess up the powdercoat. Foil tape will stay stuck to where you put it through the baking process.

They are a smallish industrial shop, they don't have any tools or provisions to remove tires so you'll have to take care of that beforehand. Recip doesn't live far from there at all, he'll take care of ya.

Even after two years, dozens and dozens of tire changes and sunlight they're still as bright as the day i got them.

Last edited by caboose483; 11-18-2010 at 04:15 PM.

...They won't remove the rubber, I'm close by their location, and I can remove the rubber if you want.
    Thanks very much. Do you own a shop?

Wow those rims are sick!!! Looks crazy!!

Wow those rims are sick!!! Looks crazy!!
    Repsol orange looks brown next to them.

Thanks very much. Do you own a shop?

!
    no, I just have really strong hands.

no, I just have really strong hands.
    Jevus

Repsol orange looks brown next to them.
    serious they're nuts. that colour is badazz. If I ever redid the colour of my bike it would have accents of that colour.

caboose's bike is recognizable on the far side of the track because of the colour of those rims ...

serious they're nuts. that colour is badazz. If I ever redid the colour of my bike it would have accents of that colour.
    there's a couple bikes around with bright colours like that. when i have my rains on the bike that are on normal black rims the bike looks ordinary.. its just another green Kawi. but when the orange rims are on it totally transforms the bike into something really wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    caboose's bike is recognizable on the far side of the track because of the colour of those rims ...
    That was half the point of getting them done that way. very distinctive. around dusk in the pits, it almost seems like they're too bright for how dark it is.

Here's a bit of a "long distance" shot. This is me and Teal from SOAR Round 2.

Last edited by caboose483; 11-18-2010 at 06:50 PM.