Cost of a trip to tail of the dragon? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost of a trip to tail of the dragon?

Re: Cost of a trip to tail of the dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by rctyler View Post
    i'd be up for another ride down there this year...but would prefer 2 days of slab down/back. the scenery is a bit nicer once you get past pittsburgh, and you'd get your fill of 'good roads' once your down there....so no need to delay the 'main event'...
    But if you skip the Blue Ridge Parkway, then you miss the main event. The Gap is cambered, dirty, and well policed whereas the BRP is heaven sent with scenic overlooks. The Cherhola is the the best road if you're trying to drag your knee on the street. IMHO.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    But if you skip the Blue Ridge Parkway, then you miss the main event. The Gap is cambered, dirty, and well policed whereas the BRP is heaven sent with scenic overlooks. The Cherhola is the the best road if you're trying to drag your knee on the street. IMHO.
    so how long of a trip total? seriously it would be roads right? LOL, I can deal with dirt roads or gravel but the R1 doesn't like offroading!

Quote Originally Posted by etonna View Post
    so how long of a trip total? seriously it would be roads right? LOL, I can deal with dirt roads or gravel but the R1 doesn't like offroading!
    I pm'd you and sent you an email.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Last year I rode back solo in 14 hours, seemed like a good idea at the time....... the next day proved different. 2 days would be good.
    That's hauling! Took me 19hrs back to Hamilton.
    I had the one, and only energy drink of my life somewhere on that ride.

To the OP - WHO CARES? Just go, and have the time of your life. It's only money, and you won't even care how it cost when you get home, because you just had the best holiday you can remember.

I pm'd you and sent you an email.
    OK, thanks! I posted on the other site

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    That's hauling! Took me 19hrs back to Hamilton.
    I had the one, and only energy drink of my life somewhere on that ride.

To the OP - WHO CARES? Just go, and have the time of your life. It's only money, and you won't even care how it cost when you get home, because you just had the best holiday you can remember.
    Left the resort @ 7am stopped only for fuel, coffee and lunch and made it to Brampton by 9pm...... I kept a pretty good pace.

You need to reed "Parrallel Lives or was it Roads?"' by Nick Saunders. He rode around the world on a R1. He did a CRAPLOAD of off roading on that bike through India, Africa,Macchu Pichu,all over,the bike was a beaten mess when he returned. The series was published in Bike or Ride magazine, I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
    You need to reed "Parrallel Lives or was it Roads?"' by Nick Saunders. He rode around the world on a R1. He did a CRAPLOAD of off roading on that bike through India, Africa,Macchu Pichu,all over,the bike was a beaten mess when he returned. The series was published in Bike or Ride magazine, I don't remember.
    I've seen that before, that guy is one brave soul!! Not something I would put my bike through.

even if the worst happens, i got some recent prices for ya !

bike recovery/towing/overnight storage is 400.00 for one day ( butler's )
    cube van with a ramp rental is 480.00 ( penske )
    gas to drive the van to toronto and return to niagara falls afterwards 300.00

went there in october, returned in a van and little sore, but cant wait to go back
    half decent place to stay is 80 bucks for a night with 2 beds, cheap places are out there for 30 bucks a night. gas is cheaper than here.

- kons

ps, its 12 hours drive without stops, by the speed limit. bike ride is quicker, but you'll have to stop little more, so its 12 hours either way.
    Last edited by CopMagnet5oh; 02-02-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    99 Busa, 159rwhp/97rwtq, 10.1@142mph ( old time, with 153hp )

Quote Originally Posted by CopMagnet5oh View Post
    even if the worst happens, i got some recent prices for ya !

bike recovery/towing/overnight storage is 400.00 for one day ( butler's )
    cube van with a ramp rental is 480.00 ( penske )
    gas to drive the van to toronto and return to niagara falls afterwards 300.00

went there in october, returned in a van and little sore, but cant wait to go back
    half decent place to stay is 80 bucks for a night with 2 beds, cheap places are out there for 30 bucks a night. gas is cheaper than here.

- kons

ps, its 12 hours drive without stops, by the speed limit. bike ride is quicker, but you'll have to stop little more, so its 12 hours either way.
    and you even got some awesome pictures out of it! How's the bike coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by yettiman121 View Post
    who cares how much it costs.

do what you want, and when it time to pay the bill, hold a fundraiser.
    Hrrm I have some bills that need paying.... Do I have to crash at deals gap before I can have a fundraiser?

When were you planning on going?

I might be going down starting May long weekend if my buddy doesn't bail on me.
    I know some one going there about late april early may... This trip is contingent on me being able to cross the boarder so I may go down on my own and hook up with them there so that if I get turn back I don't mess up anything for anyone else.
    x

I rode down last year and hit up the blue ridge parkway on the way down. took longer but well worth it. cherahola skyway is prolly the best road i have ever been on. locals say the police dont bother much with this road unless there is an accident. as some mentioned already be prepared for a dry county. whole trip cost about $550 7 days for myself on my r6.

then there was the cost of tires, new rear tire late april, 4350km trip early june and time for new rubber front and rear

BRP is well policed...with a low speed limit...but nice views.

fwiw, i didn't see a single cop on the dragon while i was there, except the guy who was out front of the resort store chatting with all the bikers....oh, and 2 of them in the mexican restaurant in robbinsville.

cherohala is amazing, too....and again, didn't see a single cop.

I agree that the BRP is patrolled, and 25mph over the posted limit results in an arrest, and you have to watch for deer as I've seen them on that road everytime I've ridden it. I saw three state police at the gap, one stopped with a bike, two on their way through the gap just as I'd finished my best run and was slowing down to turn around. :PIt's a beautiful ride anyway you take it, I just don't care to super slab it the whole way, as you miss some very exciting roads in Southern Pennsylvania right on down to Tennesee and beyond. Luckily most states that don't share a common border with Canada have no reciprocity, so if it's not an arrest, then you're out of pocket to pay the fine. That being said, I've learned to slow down partly due to the bike I ride, and I'd really like to make it there and back in one piece without any added expenses.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by rctyler View Post
    BRP is well policed...with a low speed limit...but nice views...

cherohala is amazing, too....and again, didn't see a single cop.
    Been on the BRP a couple of times - because I "just had to." Once from Front Royal south and once from near Bryson to Roanoke.
    Evaluation: Boring, Boring & more Boring - like the plains of Abraham in Quebec city - beautiful vistas over and over again - but it's not a great riding road - little if any thrill factor. IMHO Control speed is Too Slow - WTF is with the 45 mph?

However, any road down the sides from the BRP is a great twisty run down and up! Down to Buchanan, Va. is an example. There are many more of these roads - all made for bikes. Full of adventures and niches that don't have that many footprints. Nothing worse for me than seeing a steady stream of bikes coming on - eucccch - more waving than a robin's wings. That's exactly what I avoid when I can.

It's also why I ride the dragon very early (even with misty roads) in the morning or just before dusk. No 18-wheeler idiots and no cops, but especially very few other bikes they're all still in bed.
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

i have read a couple of contradictory posts regarding how long it takes to get down to deals gap from toronto. is it 14 to 15 hrs? is this a good estimate? that is a pleasant 2 day ride. so a 5 or 6 day trip is an easy one. how much time do you need down there so you can get a taste of the roads andlocal flavor down there?
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

1300 km from my place to where we stay in Alcoa Tenn.

We trailer the bikes down, typically takes about 14 hours, leave Sunday morning about 6am and are pulling into the hotel by about 7:30-8pm. Ride the area until Wednesday, pack up and head to Abingdon Virginia to run around US421 for a few days. pack up Satruday morning and head home, got Sunday off to recover.

Keeps us out of the area on the weekends. Hint - don't piss off the Mountain City police - they will threaten to throw you in jail even if you stop and your buddies don't.

Quote Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
    i have read a couple of contradictory posts regarding how long it takes to get down to deals gap from toronto. is it 14 to 15 hrs? is this a good estimate? that is a pleasant 2 day ride. so a 5 or 6 day trip is an easy one. how much time do you need down there so you can get a taste of the roads andlocal flavor down there?
    It depends on how you go. This year will be my thrid run down in May. I leave with friends from Kingston and we budget 3 days to get down. The first year was down I81 to Front Royal and the next two days on the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway. One of our group had a family emergency and made it home to Pickering in one long day of riding.

Last year we went down I81 a ways then cut westward to Centralia (the town in Pennsylvania that caught the coal seem on fire under it) and then went on secondary roads to the edge of the Monogehala. The next two days were a combination of Monogehela, some Blue ridge, "The Snake", and some other roads. This year will be more Monogehela and back roads, prob no Blue Ridge, catch "The Snake" and then to the Ironhorse. It will be a long first day then two more fairly easy going 8 hours-of-riding days.

I think it would be a shame to trailer the bikes down as there are so many great roads on the way down.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

so it isnt just the destination on this trip you have a go at some great roads on the way there as well. 1300kms and great roads all around you. may take a bit more than 5 days to be satisfied. this sounds better as a 7 to 8 day trip.
    if i were younger i would blast down in a day catchs ome s;eep when i got there and go as hard as i could for 2 days sleep blast back 4 days easy.
    now reality is i will need 2 probably 3 days to get down there 3 riding around there and 2 days back. 8 to 9 days. this trip just keeps getting longer.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

so it isnt just the destination on this trip you have a go at some great roads on the way there as well. 1300kms and great roads all around you. may take a bit more than 5 days to be satisfied. this sounds better as a 7 to 8 day trip.
    if i were younger i would blast down in a day catchs ome s;eep when i got there and go as hard as i could for 2 days sleep blast back 4 days easy.
    now reality is i will need 2 probably 3 days to get down there 3 riding around there and 2 days back. 8 to 9 days. this trip just keeps getting longer.
    I agree!
    here is a couple POI that could be along the way if your interested..
    Erie Pa.. bars along the lake downtown..
    Grove City,, a little shopping for the SO.. but not much , no room to carry anything.
    119 out of New Stanton, to Morgantown..
    Burnsville west virginia , riffle run.. a nice lake area.. quick ride detour
    Audra State Park just for fun..
    New River Gorge.. the big bridge.. ride the road under the bridge
    I head thru Fort Erie.. towards Erie PA.. then south on 79 , take 76 east, to New Stanton.. head south again on 119... that brings you to Morgantown, and back to 79 south, I stay at Coopers Rock campgound a little east of morgantown if I return this way.. too early to sleep on the way down.. depending on when you leave. Continue south on 79 and Burnsville west virginia has a camp at Riffle Run. A little further south.. turn off 79 onto 19... you will cross the new river gorge on what was the largest bridge in the world... I recommend taking the road under the bridge.. about 30 min detour. you will connect with 77 to 81.. I hate 81.. it is a truck storm... so i usually leave Wytheville,, and drive thru Fancy gap VA, mount airy NC, and pilot mountain NC to Winston Salem.. then head to boone..

if you are in the I-81 area near lexington virginia... take 39 out to Goshen.. the pass will make you think you are in Colorado.

You have already heard about BRP, Skyline.. If you do any tourist stuff.. Luray Caverns is my Favourite..

For me a big part of the fun is planning a route down and back. The friends I ride with love long days riding and try and include some extras each year.

The route we take expands each year. Here is our rough route for the whole trip:

Day one: Kingston to Cumberland: http://tinyurl.com/yca3qm7

This is a bit of a marathon day and we might stop about two hours earlier depending on how smooth the day is.

Day two and three: Though Monogehela, The Snake down to the Ironhorse:

http://tinyurl.com/yae56yp

We'll be at the Ironhorse Thursday night. We’ll do a number of local rides Friday and Saturday and then Sunday we will head down towards Birmingham to the Motorcycle Museum. We will start heading through the Cherohola and then work our ways down. I imagine we’ll stop an hour or so short of Birmingham.:

http://tinyurl.com/yfaufz3

I haven't firmed up the route back, but I think our way back will take about three days. I like to avoid superslabbing and prefer to take US highways or secondary roads but need to balance that against the time. I want to take my friends though 555 in Ohio so that is why the jog there.

http://tinyurl.com/ycmvldu

The times given are pessimistic for just riding. I find Google Maps estimates about 10% longer than it normally takes me for riding time, but with stops it probably is accurate.

..Tom

ps: there is a program available that transfers Google Map routes to a GPS format. It works in Firefox but needs a fair amount of tweaking to make a useable route. The nice thing with planning in Google Maps is the ability to do a Street view for most roads to get an idea of they are as nice looking as the map and terrain view indicate.
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report