Oh boy... to be outnumbered.. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh boy... to be outnumbered..

Re: Oh boy... to be outnumbered..

Quote Originally Posted by Aminal View Post
    So, let's make a "cruisers" pact as we did in the old days....

1- Bike doesn't matter
    2- People are people and good people are everywhere
    3- Age is a state of mind not a number
    4- Gear and clothing are choices
    5- Except for flip-flops and wife beaters, nitch!
    6- We all share the same road
    7- A brother is a brother, in the family of the rider there will be the occasional leftover from the gene pool, but be the better person.
    You wrote this before I joined the forum, but you couldn't have said it better... It's about the spirit of cycling; the exact ride, the attire, the age of the participants are inconsequential as long as everyone is tapped into the spirit of cycling (see #7)

Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Just remember, few old cruiser farts body's still let them cruise like they did when they were 20
    Ah, pthttttt! I'm turning 42 in just over three weeks and I'm buying my first sport bike next week (hopefully Monday!). I've ridden sports before, just never owned one. I'll still be out with the cruisers though, my man is sticking with the Marauder for now.

Oh....and if I ever hear anyone call me an 'old fart', I'll kick their butt

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Hey i'm with you. Didn't get my first semi-"sportbike" until i was 46.

On another topic. I drop by Tim's in oakville lastnight around 6:00pm - for dinner of all things, why else would you stop - with another couple out for a cruise to tryout my C50. What a lowly group road warriors were out there last night. I don't know, i wear black as well but come'on you can smile and be sociable. I guess it's a "i'm a tough f### because i ride" - what's with that. Ultimate fighting is tough, 45 years old riding a bike is not.

It's no wonder i ride a girl's bike and my idea of fun is putzing around in the garage on one of my current Fieros.

Last edited by YamaMana; 03-19-2010 at 09:58 AM.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Pam's kitchen in Maple Leaf???
    Well, being the old guard around here... I think I was like the 17th member when the site first started... It started out 99% cruisers and the sportbikes asked if they could play with us! Times sure have changed, eh? Now we're the minority! It's still about the ridin for me and I'll go with anyone who gets a goofy grin on their face.
    Cheers
    Aminal
    That is the strange thing, and I think I made this comment in another forum. When I watch motorcycles go by my window (I get a lot of traffic pass my window), and when I am out and about the city, I see way more cruisers than sports bikes. But what I also notice is its is like sports bikes come in packs, while Cruisers tend to be riding solo.

Now there are exceptions. I see solo sports bike riders and packs of cruisers, but I am talking the main stream.

So I am wondering do people who ride cruisers tend to be less likely to need/want to share their motosport than people who ride sports bikes?

I ride a cruiser, well because I like the style of a cruiser. But I find when I go on group rides that I am usually the only cruiser. And that had a lot to do with me getting a power cruiser. But I also enjoy hopping on my bike and just going.

I don't know, maybe its a personality thing, as differnt personalities are attracted to either the sports bike look and feel or the cruiser look and feel. And when you get down to reality, for the street, a bike is either a cruiser or a sports bike, or some hybrid...and hybrids might borrow from off-road, which is the third type. After all what is a touring bike if not a mix of Cruiser and Sport? Sure we may not all agree on the sub-divisions. but I do think certain personalities will be attracted one way, and other personalities the other way.

Does anyone think people who ride cruisers might be less social, or perhaps to make it a positive, more independent? Just throwing it out for discussion?
    Red '94 Honda VF750C Magna
    Black '02 Suzuki LS650 Savage - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiCruiser View Post
    So I am wondering do people who ride cruisers tend to be less likely to need/want to share their motosport than people who ride sports bikes?
    I think that part of it could be the type of riding. Some of the things being done on sportbikes lend it better to be in packs, as to make it less likely to get nabbed by elroy.
    MODE ON

It should be...just having two wheels is enough to be a brother. But sadly on this site it ain't so...and what is even worse...is saying you own a Buell...holy crap batman, your in for a war. Cuz supposedly Buell's suck and are pieces of crap...not sure why?? All I know is...mine is freakin awesome...lol.

Being a cruiser man at heart i've also noticed that when i go riding it's with only one other buddy mostly. The bulk of cruiser's i pass in my travels are in 2's as well. Also the old westerns it was always 2's. Travelling in 2's is quicker and cheaper (splitting hotel fairs) and give's you someone to chat with during meals.

Sportbikes i have found is similar to sport-snowmobiling in that it is not the distance traveled so much as the experience and adrenal rush. I don't know why in packs but it seems to be some camaraderie and one up-man ship rather than being in the great outdoors with a pal.

Just to complicate matters. I went riding today, called my Harley pal, me on my sportbike and we knocked off 6 hours - just the perfect day !!
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

Interesting....
    My 2 cents are that alot of sportriders are looking more for the "cool" factor than the fraternity of the road. Let's be honest, sportbikes are wicked looking and you add a racing suit and helmet.... you look cool!
    As the oldest fart, I remember when "cool" was any bike! A Harley was the king and there weren't too many riders out there. Now with the interweb and all the advantages of todays world, it's alot easier to get into ridin!
    Just remember the RUBS from the eighties, time will weed out the posers as new trends get popular.
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

... alot of sportriders are looking more for the "cool" factor ... Aminal
    Funny thing is i had my FZ6 (which i think looks really cool and futuristic) parked beside Mr. Harley this afternoon. The FZ6 just looked plain. I'm only now just beginning to get the whole "chrome" thing.
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

I just want to be a sister...and I would follow Aminal any where

Interesting....
    My 2 cents are that alot of sportriders are looking more for the "cool" factor than the fraternity of the road. Let's be honest, sportbikes are wicked looking and you add a racing suit and helmet.... you look cool!
    Interesting is right. One man's opinion is the furthest thing from another man's truth lol. To me sportbikes all look pretty much the same, which isn't to say they don't look pretty, they're great machines, and very cute, that's why my girlfriend rides one. I hope she gets one of the one piece leather suits too, just as long as it doesn't come with a whip.

edit: Oh, and just so no one takes offense, I'm sure you all got a dad/uncle/old man who rides a cruiser, to each their own. I'm just not big on the the leather scuba-diving outfit and shiny plastic like someone else might not get off on the thought of leather and spoked, white walled tires. As long as you ride *shrugs*
    Last edited by adri; 03-20-2010 at 01:26 AM.

For what its worth I'm on my 3rd sport bike and have plans for a sportster when I can afford it.

if anyone knows what outnumbered means that would be me but Aminal always makes me feel a part of the biking brotherhood.

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    if anyone knows what outnumbered means that would be me but Aminal always makes me feel a part of the biking brotherhood.
    Your name helps
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

Quote Originally Posted by mototrek View Post
    Looking at titles...
    Gear up folks. Few 20 year-olds can do what we old cruiser farts can do 'cause they have no time (Reason why they can't "cruise.") lol!
    this is very true for me! also my friends don't ride, so my tours will be solo this summer. I am going to go though and Quebec is first on the list.

Pk

Keep me posted on any rides down to Pennsylvania or similar. I'm interested.
    Shadow 1100

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by mototrek View Post
    Looking at titles...

General Motorcycle Discussion (40 Viewing)
    General Motorcycle Discussion. Got beefs about the site? Don't post here!!

Cruising / Touring (2 Viewing)
    Anything and everything cruiser related. Got a cruiser or tourer? Post your touring and cruising experiences here.

Sorta puts things in perspective.. eh?

Well, when the sun warms up, when the rain stops... sometime in June or July, we'll ride the hills of Pennsylvania and /or the Adirondacks.

Gear up folks. Few 20 year-olds can do what we old cruiser farts can do 'cause they have no time (Reason why they can't "cruise.") lol!

Bring your cameras and MP3 players!! (Babes too if you have 'em)

Hey John, I think you hit it in the head!
    Cruising is more a state of mind than what bike you ride, touring as well! I know folks who have done iron butts on SS's and other folk who race old CB350's on the track.
    So, let's make a "cruisers" pact as we did in the old days....

1- Bike doesn't matter
    2- People are people and good people are everywhere
    3- Age is a state of mind not a number
    4- Gear and clothing are choices
    5- Except for flip-flops and wife beaters, nitch!
    6- We all share the same road
    7- A brother is a brother, in the family of the rider there will be the occasional leftover from the gene pool, but be the better person.

Frankly I was upset with a "special" forum for us, but it will seperate us from the "special" segment on the site and give a place to chat with like minds. What we make of it is what it will be.
    Cheers
    Aminal
    This statement is as perfect as it gets. It embodies what biking is all about, kudos to you.

I quite like that as well. I really don't care what bike a person rides, but I do think that on rides where the majority of riders are riding a sports bike, the ride takes on a different flavour than what I set out to do.
    You can't fix stupid

The thing is that the different kinds of bikes are made to ride differently.
    SS bikes are for people who want to ride like racers, cruisers are for people who want to take it easier, and generally are more comfy for long trips.
    Not that you can't ride differently than what the bike is designed for - you can wear birkenstocks to play tennis, but they're not really suited to it.
    So I think the kind of bike talks more to the kind of riding the person wants to do, but not so much to the type of person.