Toyota Recall - Page 3

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Recall

Re: Toyota Recall

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    A Canadian biased company made the pedals? Where exactly where they made?
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1446670/
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

+1 for Hyundai. They certainly have come a long way in a short amount of time.

On what models? I have not gotten a letter saying to bring in my truck yet, just the one about the mat problem...Although I have a warranty I like to stay away from letting the dealer touch my truck as much as possible, so I will only go if I have too

Also Im not too worried just yet, because I have faith in myself being able to shift my truck into neutral if my pedal gets stuck. Not like Im going WOT into a wall or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by nfq View Post
    or have time to make a 3 min 911 call instead of shifting into neutral or lifting the pedal off the ground...you know...just saying. Darwin ftw.

Have you ever tried to shift a transmission out of gear while under load? I assure you its not as easy as it seems. While it may shift out easily, the load may also prevent it from being shifted into neutral. To presume that the cause was driver stupidity is a bit niave.

That being said, it certainly could have been driver stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by nfq View Post
    I can say for sure they are doing everything they can to alleviate this issue; however perceived. They're still the #1 (or thereabouts) car company and there's a reason 80% of the Toyota's of the last 20 years are STILL on the road, in North America.

Hopefully the new Scion launch can divert some attention away from this recall stuff and they get back on their feet, so to speak.
    Only after the NHTSA forced them to suspend sales until the problem is rectified. Don't confuse this as an act of good faith, the only reason they're doing it is because they're being forced to. At the end of the day the only thing that really matters is the bottom line.

Toyota is not what they used to be. In the last ten years they have made changes to their product design model that i think were poor choices. They have cut their "development time to market" in half and theres no way to do that without sacrificing quality. Invariably, more problems will be found in production vehicles.

In my mind, Ford has taken great strides to be more like Toyota to improve quality and perceived brand value. Toyota on the other hand has taken great strides to be more like Ford to improve profits.

It is what it is. No sugar coating.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post

Toyota is not what they used to be. In the last ten years they have made changes to their product design model that i think were poor choices. They have cut their "development time to market" in half and theres no way to do that without sacrificing quality. Invariably, more problems will be found in production vehicles.

In my mind, Ford has taken great strides to be more like Toyota to improve quality and perceived brand value. Toyota on the other hand has taken great strides to be more like Ford to improve profits.

It is what it is. No sugar coating.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

The parts being made in Canada has no bearing on anything. The same parts have been used for over two years, had they not been built to spec Toyota QA would have refused the parts. OEM's will look for any reason not to pay.

That simple fact suggests that it is a design issue and not a manufacturing issue. The design issue goes back to Toyota engineering in Japan, it has nothing to do with Canadian manufacturing quality.

A company called CTS makes the pedals. I believe they are based out of the states but have a plant in Missisauga. So far I have read that it isn't the part itself which is defective but how Toyota put the part in the car. I believe it is condensation that makes the pedal stick.

The floor mat recall was the first recall for the problem, it wasn't the fix though just an effort to make it look like they were doing something.

This will hurt Toyota sales for sure. The dealers are not allowed to sell any new or used cars that are part of the recall (they're bread and butter lines) and the sale of used Toyota's on the market is about/has frozen. Manheim auction is not going to run any Toyota's for the time being and used car dealer associations (UCDA in Ontario) have told it's members that it advises against selling the cars involved in the recall.

Think about all the people currently leasing Toyota's and the lease is about to expire and they can't buy another one in the mean time. That business is for sure going else where and other people are scared. Honda dropped their finance/lease rates yesterday and GM will give you $1000 of a vehicle if you drive a Toyota.

They also didn't do the recall out of the goodness of there hearts, they HAD to do the recall. At the end of the day people are dieing because of this, sure they could shift to neutral or turn the car off (push start toyota's you have to hold the button down for 3 seconds if it is in gear. If your family is in one you can't be comfortable with them going down the road in it. This will hurt.

Have you ever tried to shift a transmission out of gear while under load? I assure you its not as easy as it seems. While it may shift out easily, the load may also prevent it from being shifted into neutral. To presume that the cause was driver stupidity is a bit niave.

That being said, it certainly could have been driver stupidity.
    Yes I have and my truck does it easily, ture others vehicles may not but mine does.... And I never presumed it was driver stupidity, I only said I have faith in myself being able to handle the situation should it happen to me...

Like I said Im still happy with my purchase with or without this recall, many of my friends have sold or traded in their constantly problematic domestic trucks (dodge ram, Ford F150) for Tundras because of how well its been doing for me...I rather have a truck from a company that recalls a gas pedal, rather then the domestics my friends had that were constantly having drive train problems but yet no recalls...They have to pay for their problems out of their pocket, and transmissions and rear differentials arent cheap!
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 01-29-2010 at 12:29 PM.

The parts being made in Canada has no bearing on anything. The same parts have been used for over two years, had they not been built to spec Toyota QA would have refused the parts. OEM's will look for any reason not to pay.

That simple fact suggests that it is a design issue and not a manufacturing issue. The design issue goes back to Toyota engineering in Japan, it has nothing to do with Canadian manufacturing quality.
    +1, I think they're just trying to "pass the buck" again - like how they initially tried to blame it on driver error, or the floormat jamming it.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

I just hope they dont pull a Suzuki and glue some BS fix to my pedal, instead of replacing defective parts! If I see any kind of butchery going on with the fix, then I will change my opinion and not be happy...

That's a very good point too.
    I'd blame it on the designer not the fabricator.
    I'm just thinking about human behaviour and the reactions some suit wearing freaks will have pointing fingers at eachother across the ocean.
    Either way, it looks bad for us simply because we made the part, much of the public might associate this with "crap made in canada".
    I sure hope it doesn't affect us.
    We're sucking the wind as it is.

I just hope they dont pull a Suzuki and glue some BS fix to my pedal, instead of replacing defective parts! If I see any kind of butchery going on with the fix, then I will change my opinion and not be happy...
    I heard they are sending every owner a driver from Japan until the warranty runs out.
    Check the mailbox.

Banned

Toyotas solution, just spray some PAM on the bottom of the pedal and it wont stick ! haha

Yes I have and my truck does it easily, ture others vehicles may not but mine does.... And I never presumed it was driver stupidity, I only said I have faith in myself being able to handle the situation should it happen to me...

Like I said Im still happy with my purchase with or without this recall, many of my friends have sold or traded in their constantly problematic domestic trucks (dodge ram, Ford F150) for Tundras because of how well its been doing for me...I rather have a truck from a company that recalls a gas pedal, rather then the domestics my friends had that were constantly having drive train problems but yet no recalls...They have to pay for their problems out of their pocket, and transmissions and rear differentials arent cheap!
    You've actually tried it at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle???

I know my old cavalier really liked to stay in gear, back in highschool going to McD's for lunch someone in the back seat kicked the shift handle but it didnt budge.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

How does that work? Do you simply push the shifter or do you have to push the button really hard, then push the shifter? This is useful stuff to know...

Most cars just push the shifter towards nuetral. A simple slap in an emergency would do, try it on your car today it won't hurt anything reverse is locked out.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro View Post
    Most cars just push the shifter towards nuetral. A simple slap in an emergency would do, try it on your car today it won't hurt anything reverse is locked out.
    +1
    And if you're in an emergency and it doesn't go into neutral - you can turn your key off - but you'll lose your power steering and power brakes etc.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

Push the clutch in?

What bothers me is all of the people who own Mazdas, Toyotas, Hondas and other Import cars and swear by their quality even after numerous problems and recalls, but then talk about their old Domestic cars "back in the day" that gave them problems.

My dad has had 2 Mazda proteges and both had problems yet he goes out and buys a Mazda 3

....a mom of a friend swears by Toyota even after they had to replace the Transmission in the family's BRAND NEW Camry.

Cars are cars.....any manufacturer, it's still technology that will randomly or eventually fail for any reason.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post
    +1
    And if you're in an emergency and it doesn't go into neutral - you can turn your key off - but you'll lose your power steering and power brakes etc.
    What do you do if you're driving a Toyota with a keyless ignition system?

When in park, simply pushing the stop/start button will shut off the motor. However, if the car is in not in park you need to push and hold the stop/start button for 3 seconds before it will shut the motor off. Would you know to do that?

The big incident where the CHP officer and his family died, he was driving a rental car. Would you know what to do in a car you were unfamiliar with? Its easy to criticise and say he should have checked before hand but i doubt i would have looked into it if i were in his shoes. Are you going to get the owners manual out and try to find the answer as you're barreling down the highway?

Its easy to come up with solutions when you're not in a panic situation.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro View Post
    Make sure you do it while accelerating and you have the transmission under load. Doing it while coasting is not an accurate comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    oh oh, i smell trouble

this particular ford surge could be traced back to the early seventies when the first corollas came ashore. iffin the japs never came with their products way back when we'd still be driving pintos.....
    Not really, right now Ford/Lincoln is the most innovative car company on the planet with some of the most exciting cars on the market. There really isnt one car that Toyota makes (maybe the 4Runner) where I wouldnt take the Ford counterpart in heart beat.
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker