Universal hard bags?

Thread: Universal hard bags?

Universal hard bags?

So here I go turning to the touring world for advice! I've been messing with a setup to bolt hard bags on to my 2010 R1 without nodding or damaging the bike, a little setup that lathes in to the rear set latch and will sheild heat from the exhaust and goes on and off in minutes but now I'm looking for the right bags for it. I would like to get something that looks pretty sporty and that would be paintable without paying an arm& leg for them! I've seen some really nice looking setups on Busas and would like to acheave the same look. Can anybody reccomend some bags that may fit my needs?

Re: Universal hard bags?

Sounds like you're looking for saddlebags rather than a topcase? The Givi E21 are good looking small side cases that are reasonably priced. They are top loading so all your stuff won't fall out when you open them, unlike some clamshell-type side cases. They are quite small though, so depending on how much stuff you want to lug around they may not work for you.

You might want to look at SW-MOTECH for mounting options. They offer mounting adapter plates for Givi, Kappa, Hepco & Becker, Krauser and Shad bags.
    WeeStrom!

Those Givi bags may just be perfect! Nobody makes anysort of mounting system for my bike so rigged up something myself and just need some bags to be able to complete the fabrication. Size doesn't look too bad, I just want something secure and weather proof to hold my necessities while travelling.

Calling CBRJohn!!! Are these Givi E21s the same bags you use on the sv?

nevermind.
    Last edited by Lightcycle; 01-27-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Already have a rack

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    nevermind.
    LOL, yeah I've got a secure mount setup fabbed already, it's a slick setup I'll post some pics when it's done. It mounts to the passenger seat latch and the seat goes over top. It should be able to support whatever yamaha intended for passenger weight and I'll never even come close to getting that amount of stuff in the bags.
    Last edited by etonna; 01-27-2010 at 12:05 PM.

I think it'd be hilarious if you mounted these:

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    I think it'd be hilarious if you mounted these:

LMAO not quite the look I'm after! They look roomy though!

Donald from Platinum Powersports got in touch with me, he sells Givi stuff and was able to answer all my questions. Pretty sure I'll be going with the E21s, they aren't nearly as expensive as I thought and are paintable.

The E21's are pretty small. I have a set of them as well as E41's (and an E52 Topcase.) I rarely put on either set of side cases but when I do it is because I need lots of space and the E21's don't cut it for me.

I don't know much about them, but I think that you should look harder at a set of soft side cases, especially if you cannot mount the hard cases properly. There is a good selction of them out there and you shouldn't have the mounting issues of a hard bag.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    The E21's are pretty small. I have a set of them as well as E41's (and an E52 Topcase.) I rarely put on either set of side cases but when I do it is because I need lots of space and the E21's don't cut it for me.

I don't know much about them, but I think that you should look harder at a set of soft side cases, especially if you cannot mount the hard cases properly. There is a good selction of them out there and you shouldn't have the mounting issues of a hard bag.

..Tom
    I'm not expecting huge amounts of space and if the E21s are the ones I think they will be perfect. The issue with soft bags is the exhaust, and rubbing tends to scratch the bike. I really like the idea of lockable and weather proof hard bags.

Quote Originally Posted by etonna View Post
    So here I go turning to the touring world for advice! I've been messing with a setup to bolt hard bags on to my 2010 R1 without nodding or damaging the bike, a little setup that lathes in to the rear set latch and will sheild heat from the exhaust and goes on and off in minutes but now I'm looking for the right bags for it. I would like to get something that looks pretty sporty and that would be paintable without paying an arm& leg for them! I've seen some really nice looking setups on Busas and would like to acheave the same look. Can anybody reccomend some bags that may fit my needs?
    Hey, if you find a givi mount that fits that thing you can borrow my E41's for the trip.

Side note, buy some passenger footpegs and drill them for holes to mount a couple of ammo cans onto. I saw an FZ6 rider do that and it seemed to work for him.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I can understand having the hard cases as that's what I use.

SW Motech was mentioned previously. I have a set of the side racks for my Strom and I love them.

Here is a link to the page about the R1 (I don't know enough about your bike to know if this is for the Current year or previous years):

http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,show....yzfr1,,,,.htm

I know there are local distributors for SW Motech. the stuff is expensive but I think does the job very well.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    I can understand having the hard cases as that's what I use.

SW Motech was mentioned previously. I have a set of the side racks for my Strom and I love them.

Here is a link to the page about the R1 (I don't know enough about your bike to know if this is for the Current year or previous years):

http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,show....yzfr1,,,,.htm

I know there are local distributors for SW Motech. the stuff is expensive but I think does the job very well.

..Tom
    Thanks Tom, nobody makes a rack for my bike, so I've made my own from aluminum, just have to bolt the Givi plates to my rack and the bags will work.

Givi.
    http://www.arcadius.ca/

1964 Junak M10, 2000 Bandit 1200

If you're looking for something with a bit more style and space than the E21's, then take a look at the Givi V35 cases. The racks are only designed for certain bikes, but it sounds like you're pretty handy. Maybe get some racks for a similar style bike and mod them to fit the R1.

Last edited by beverage; 01-30-2010 at 12:50 AM.

Here's a set of E21s on my Z1000 in a pic from an East Coast trip. Bags were fantastic, I also made some custom, quick detach mounts, and the buggers stayed on while on some incredibly bumpy roads. Bumpy enough that the hatchet you can't see strapped onto the passenger seat bounced off at about 90 km/h on a twisty, bumpy road. Followers said you haven't lived till you've dodged an erratically bouncing hatchet coming down the road at you. Oh, yeah, the reason for the grimace in the picture is that it had been around 5 degrees celcius (as a high temp!!) for the previous three days...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z1000.jpg  
    Last edited by tonymorgan; 02-17-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: idiocy

Try a SW Mototech racks for Givi's PLX bags. They are 35 litres each I think. There isn't a rack for your R1, but there is one for a VFR and an FZ1 that you could likely modify to make it all work.

Or:
    www.thirdwheeltrailers.com
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---