Kahuna - tire install price - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kahuna - tire install price

Re: Kahuna - tire install price

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    great prices and service.

I'll one up you, I'm having my wife do the installs wearing a bikini.
    pics of wife before making that statement... just incase if it's false advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Recidivist View Post
    How about ......... ME!!!!

wheels off $15 each, wheel on bike $30 each, disposal $5,

watching a cripple wrestle bike tires..... PRICELESS!!!!
    i'll one up you!

Wheels off bike $10.
    Wheels on bike $25!

.......free sweat included.....
    Last edited by frekeyguy; 02-15-2010 at 10:34 AM.

I'm sorry $185 or what ever is just plain smokin crack! Most automotive tire places will do for free, or $15 a rim. And don't forget its the kid sweeping the floor making $8.00 per hour doing it not the mechanic.
    2007 Ducati S4R Street
    2004 Kawasaki zx10 Track
    1987 Ninja 750 Gone
    1984 Seca 400 Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Duckriders4r View Post
    I'm sorry $185 or what ever is just plain smokin crack! Most automotive tire places will do for free, or $15 a rim. And don't forget its the kid sweeping the floor making $8.00 per hour doing it not the mechanic.
    No extra charge for all the scratches and if your lucky the directional tires might even be facing the right way, thats why I change my own as well as my friends. I'm too fussy and particular to have someone else scratch up my wheels.

One thing yet to be mentioned; a lot of shops require a test ride not only to ensure a proper install, but to also scrub off that slippery compound from the manufacturing process. No shortage of squids to who crash, burn and then sue if that's not done.

Quote Originally Posted by happycrappy View Post
    One thing yet to be mentioned; a lot of shops require a test ride not only to ensure a proper install, but to also scrub off that slippery compound from the manufacturing process. No shortage of squids to who crash, burn and then sue if that's not done.
    What shops require this?

Mould release hasn't been used on the tread of motorcycle tires in over a decade. It is sometimes(but rarely these days) used on the sidewalls where the detailed lettering or print is. It is a common misconception that the blue hue on track tires is mould release, but this is not true, the blue is released within the tire itself.

Bike tires never better traction than when they are brand new.
    Last edited by Recidivist; 02-15-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 219.99$ a set!

I know not all manufacturers use a release compound, but here's a reply from Michelin:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Concerning your question, Michelin has a mold release agent on all
    motorcycle tires. This will cause the tire to be slippery in the first
    few
    miles, but that goes away after the tire is scrubbed in. This normally
    occurs in the first 25-50 miles or so. Until then, the rider should use
    caution in riding the tire at accelerated speeds. Michelin always
    recommends
    obeying the speed limits and using care whenever riding.

If your questions have not been answered to your satisfaction, please
    call

The point that I was making is that some shops charge the big bucks because they spend more than an hour on the task, which is understandable if a test ride is included. Up to you if it's worth it. I seem to recall a lawsuit in the good ole' USA where a guy sued the shop after a crash, citing that his brakes had not been pumped back up after he was there for a tire change. I'm not saying the dummy has a clue or a case, but if i owned a shop I would want to cover my ***. Personally, I don't know why any shop WOULDN'T test ride something that had the brakes and axles removed before giving it back to the customer. Especially if the apprentice did the tire change, they would need the mechanic to check it out anyway.
    Last edited by happycrappy; 02-16-2010 at 01:21 PM.

From Bridgestone:

Break-in Period
    In order for your new tire(s) to provide optimum performance, tires should be ridden very cautiously for the first 100 miles in order for the tread surface to be “Scuffed-In” and work properly. Directly after new tires are mounted, sudden acceleration, maximum braking and hard cornering must be avoided. This will allow the rider to adjust to the “Feel” and handling characteristics of the new tire and for the new tire to be “Scuffed-In” correctly in order to achieve optimum grip level.

From Dunlop:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop motorcycle
    tire questions. Dunlop Motorcycle Tire does NOT use a "mold releasing
    agent" during the production of our tires. When new tires are fitted,
    they
    should not be subjected to maximum power, abrupt lean-over or hard
    cornering until a reasonable run-in distance of approximately 100 miles
    has
    been covered. This will permit the rider to become accustomed to the
    feel
    of the new tires or tire combination, find the edge, and achieve
    optimum
    road grip for a range of speeds, acceleration and handling use. Be
    sure to
    check and adjust inflation pressure to recommended levels after the
    tire
    cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in. Remember, new
    tires
    will have a very different contact patch and lean-over edge. New
    tires,
    mixing a new tire with an used tire, and mixing tread pattern
    combinations
    require careful ride evaluations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Since it's the middle of winter it's tough to drive here and there on your bike, for tires etc.
    Since the 1970s my friends and I have been removing wheels and taking them in by car, for changing. That's always affordable...
    But in this specific situation, the quote is definitely a cautious, worst-case scenario CYA estimate.
    As mentioned, sometimes the bikes are in nasty condition - you never know what you're dealing with over the phone, so you don't want to over-promise.
    What you guys should say to Mike and Tony at Kahuna is:
    "Okay, suppose I pay you book price (or the price quoted) for these tires - can you do anything, taxes-in or whatever? I need installation too, should be straightforward because my ride is super-clean... I want to do business here, and be your customer in the future. Can we work something out, package deal?"
    The $85 bucks per wheel is installation for those who may have procured their own rubber (internet USA or whatever) when Kahuna might already have the same tire you need, sitting on their rack.
    Kahuna offers premium service at industry-standard prices, leaving those who cannot afford that to go to Ted Rosey or Robbie Rocket etc.
    But if you go into Kahuna (forget the phone), meet the guys, show photos of your ride, talk to them and express your potential to be a good customer in future, they will try to look after you, guaranteed.
    But it's 2010 - tick tock, stuff is expensive. Bikes are a luxury-item, not more affordable/economical than cars...
    Kahuna has top-notch service guys! Steve Lewis is a 35-year Master Tech in Suz, Kaw, Honda, Yam, and Polaris. Tony the service manager is very knowledgeable and helpful too, and that is worth a lot.
    Mike is an experienced partsman but his 'pull' in the service dept. is limited...
    The more money you spend there (the computer remembers) the better your bargaining position will be, and they won't quote you 'stranger' prices over the phone any more.
    Hey I've got a Kawi - I go to Kahuna because all my old pals from Action Kawasaki, McBrides and Cycle World work there.
    If you want their full attention you must first do some business with them...
    People will bounce around all over the province to save $20 bucks, and I think they are just really cautious about those customers if they are extremely cheap and/or have unpleasant attitudes.
    Regards
    I was under te vague impression that the concept of doing business is based on the business trying (making efforts, especially during these times) to attract customers, trying to convince the customers to spend money with them. That would include, good prices, trying to beta the competition, good service, the full 9 yards.

Now what you're describing here is just the opposite, I have to go there and make nice to the store so they would eventually let me spend my money there? It's plain and simple, do you want my money, now and maybe next time? Than give me a good price and a good service will also give a chance to see me again.

Don't forget that when you pay for a used bike 6-7K, changing a set of tires for 600 is 10%, which is ridiculous...

BTW, changing tires takes a decent mechanic less than 1/2 hour / tire, including everything, while doing some relaxed chatting. I believe that what Rosey and other guys charge (approx $35/tire) is the RIGHT price for the job as it does not require a university degree and 10 years of traing ...

Just wondering, is there something requiring less mechanical knowledge, except cleaning the bike ?

Quote Originally Posted by too much View Post
    I was under te vague impression that the concept of doing business is based on the business trying (making efforts, especially during these times) to attract customers, trying to convince the customers to spend money with them. That would include, good prices, trying to beta the competition, good service, the full 9 yards.

Now what you're describing here is just the opposite, I have to go there and make nice to the store so they would eventually let me spend my money there? It's plain and simple, do you want my money, now and maybe next time? Than give me a good price and a good service will also give a chance to see me again.

Don't forget that when you pay for a used bike 6-7K, changing a set of tires for 600 is 10%, which is ridiculous...

BTW, changing tires takes a decent mechanic less than 1/2 hour / tire, including everything, while doing some relaxed chatting. I believe that what Rosey and other guys charge (approx $35/tire) is the RIGHT price for the job as it does not require a university degree and 10 years of traing ...

Just wondering, is there something requiring less mechanical knowledge, except cleaning the bike ?

I'll go out on a limb here, but in the business I'm in there are similar complaints. The facts show that this policy of cutting rates to attract customers can lead to a price war, which always leads to places shutting down. If you're not making money on the job, DON'T DO IT. I can see why a independent guy can do it cheap, because he is not maintaining the dealership in its entirety. As for the big shops, the overhead is well beyond most people's comprehension, and to be fair, if you want good, competent mechanics on site, you have to pay them well.
    As far as mechanical knowledge, you do need a licensed guy on site at a dealership. That may not be an MBA grad, but a 5 year apprenticeship, on-going dealer training at service schools, owning tools, etc doesn't come easy. I wouldn't want to be in the way of them earning a decent living.

I'll go out on a limb here, but in the business I'm in there are similar complaints. The facts show that this policy of cutting rates to attract customers can lead to a price war, which always leads to places shutting down. If you're not making money on the job, DON'T DO IT. I can see why a independent guy can do it cheap, because he is not maintaining the dealership in its entirety. As for the big shops, the overhead is well beyond most people's comprehension, and to be fair, if you want good, competent mechanics on site, you have to pay them well.
    As far as mechanical knowledge, you do need a licensed guy on site at a dealership. That may not be an MBA grad, but a 5 year apprenticeship, on-going dealer training at service schools, owning tools, etc doesn't come easy. I wouldn't want to be in the way of them earning a decent living.
    I want all of us to earn a decent living, as long as that doesn't involve ripping off each other But for God sake, it is a tire change what we are talking about, really is there something requiring lower knowledge than that? This is like because I have 2 degrees I should charge $200/hour when I'm posting on GTAM Ridicullous !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by too much View Post
    I want all of us to earn a decent living, as long as that doesn't involve ripping off each other But for God sake, it is a tire change what we are talking about, really is there something requiring lower knowledge than that? This is like because I have 2 degrees I should charge $200/hour when I'm posting on GTAM Ridicullous !!!!
    But what about this part of happycrappy's post. Care to comment on his entire post.

I can see why a independent guy can do it cheap, because he is not maintaining the dealership in its entirety. As for the big shops, the overhead is well beyond most people's comprehension
    STIG 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    But what about this part of happycrappy's post. Care to comment on his entire post.
    To put it simple, I don't see why would be anybody's business how big of a mortgage I have and how big of a lease The value of the work I do is the same, is the market that actually decides that value, not how much money I spend to get it done. So, their overhead is none of my business, I don't see how that justifies charging double, while the tire change job will be the same.

Overhead......

It's a nice excuse to use to justify the prices.

The oversized big fancy building is only built so the owner can play Monopoly with his/her real estate portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Overhead......

It's a nice excuse to use to justify the prices.

The oversized big fancy building is only built so the owner can play Monopoly with his/her real estate portfolio.
    And if Overhead is killing any profit then maybe businesses should re-think their approach to business.

Making customers pay for poor business choices is a sure fire way to end up out of business. I'm sure many shops out there price themselves out of work they don't really want on purpose. Kinda like some of the crazy insurance quotes from companies is a clear sign they just don't want your business but can't really say no.

So let me get this straight; having an inventory of apparel, specialty tools, dealer trained mechanics, proper insurance coverage, a building NOT located in the basement of some house and a line of display bikes for people to come in and make vroom vroom noises is bad business? Love the opinions of people that have no clue. Its a lot like the trucking business; we often get some tool who wants freight moved for less than the cost of fuel, truck, driver etc. You get what you pay for.
    And while I'm ranting, why is it that there is a severely under educated generation of kids out there that have a sense of entitlement to get the "great deals" on everything, even though they are a new customer? Good customers get deals as a result of loyalty, which is earned. The only time I've ever paid the whole price at a bike shop is the first time I've been there, which I have no problem with. Incidentally, I have never ASKED for a discount, but always get one at my regular shops.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    And if Overhead is killing any profit then maybe businesses should re-think their approach to business.
    Some of them are set up to lose money, it's all about the real estate.

There are very few that get rich from the motorcycle industry.

Bottom line is, compared to other local shops, Kahuna's install price was very high AND the manager agreed with me...

The cost of running the business is a risk every owner agrees to take. I'm sure no one's forcing all these people to open bike shops. No one's asking them to give stuff away either, just to be competitive.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

I work at a large Chev/Cadillac dealer, we have a huge over head, but we have menu pricing.
    Regular labour rate is $105.00 a hour, but tires are booked out at $50.00 a hour to be competitive. We charge $25.00 a tire to mount and balance