I would like an honest experienced opinion for a new rider - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I would like an honest experienced opinion for a new rider

Re: I would like an honest experienced opinion for a new rider

Ah but experienced riders love EFI, who doesn't? But I'm just saying EFI isn't noob friendly for this circumstance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Streetfighter View Post
    Ah but experienced riders love EFI, who doesn't? But I'm just saying EFI isn't noob friendly for this circumstance.
    Actually...you could get a power commander, and tame the beast while you are learning. making a EFI bike BETTER for noobage.

Then start burning race fuel and get it dynoed...

i technically didnt start on a sports bike (i rode a XL185) but 250's are ment to be beginner bikes. they can go on the highway but arent to aggressive to go crazy fast. they're also a decent size compared to a 125.
    if your dream is to have a sports bike, id go for one. i agree with the comments that a large cc sports bike is not for beginers, but i belive a 250 is.
    ive never met a beginer with a 500 but i know they exist and its still on the smaller scale. since ur 25, insurence isnt gona be a big problem. id still stick to the 250. they're not ment to be forever bikes, just beginer bike. u can sell it after a few years and probably get close to what you paid for. since they're so good for beginers (and there's very few options for beginers looking for sport bikes) they tend to keep their value.

I'll tell you from my experience..

Beginner bikes are called beginner bikes for a simple reason. That they are for beginners.

Me and 2 friends started last season. I started with a GSX-R 600, my friend CBR 600RR and one with a 250 ninja.

Both me and the one with the CBR has fallen. I slid 15 meters on the ground and my other friend had his bike fall over him. However the guy with the 250 has never fallen except for tipping his bike over stationary lol.

250 = safe

Anything up = fun and dangerous

It's really up to you to decide what you want to go for.

Banned

I still stand by a SV650. It is kindof forgiving, but for the same reason everyone is totally correct about the engine breaking and high torque, i believe you need some aspect of fear and respect for the bike. Buying a patsy moped or weakling bike wont prepare you enough to upgrade later. It will give you a false sence of confidence. When you buy a beginner bike, make sure to educate yourself about the machine and read the forums. Ride with experienced people who are interrested in showing the ropes.

Lightbulb Re: I would like an honest experienced opinion for a new rider

Ninja 250 is a nice starter bike and will have no problem with your size comfy as well. I ride my g/f's 250 all the time it has no problem pulling 150kph with me on it 5'10 and 180 and is a blast to ride. It is also fun in the twisties and much easier on you licence. If you learn how to ride well and use the bike fully you should have no problem. If you want to blast down the straightaways get a 600cc four and go nuts but my opinion is that you learn more on a small bike.
    Btw my regular ride is a 2000 ZX9 and power can be fun but comes at a high price if you f-up. Powerful bikes make it easy to get in a lot of trouble FAST.

A little over your budget but thought i would pass along anyway. I'm not in any way affiliated with this so don't ask me any questions if interested contact directly.
    http://www.odsc.on.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15965

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

I've ridden with a number of 250 rider's, and I've written with the number of big bore riders. And I have seen a 250 R given a busa a real run for his money in tight corners on the road got straight the busa was gone. A well handled 250 will do much more than most people realize their two riders in particular on this board that I remember well doodz is one that has given both me and Chris are real run for our money on the 507, County Road 3, and calaboogie.
    We were both challenged by his rideing skill on his 250.

I would strongly recommend getting a 250 and learning how to ride it well, it will be cheap on insurance, cheap on gas,cooler in the city, a much more maneuverable bike in city traffic. If they tend to be lite cheap and fun and as has been stated before they are a beginner bike.
    Last edited by lil red bird; 02-21-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

You seem to like writing a lot lil red bird ok ok you got me

There are couple good 250s around, but the Ninja is one that's hard to argue against. There's a reason we see so many of these around.
    Last edited by lil red bird; 02-21-2010 at 09:18 AM.

I would go with the SV650, you will not outgrow it. A friend of mine who has over 30 years of riding experiance bought a DL650 V-Strom a few years ago. This bike shares the same engine as the SV and I will tell you he certainly has no problems on the highway. On his test ride he was pulling away from me and I was on a GS1150 at the time.

The bike came with a top case and he has also added side bags. The extra weight has not affected the performance and he tours on his bike every year. He has been all over the east coast of Canada, through the eastern US and down to The Dragon. He has put over 30k kms on this bike since he got it and has only needed to replace the tires, chain and sprockets.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

You probably don't care or will ignore this because new riders usually already have their minds made up (especially when they're asking for justification for a large bike).

But I own a zzr250, weigh 160. I've ridden 2up on the gardiner. I've ridden london - toronto. I've drafted 18wheelers and then had to pass them. I've topped out the bike in full tuck. My buddy on the new 250 has done clutch wheelies. We're both about ~2years experience, i say this to show you that I don't have 78years of experience riding goldwings or hayabusas.

Never felt like I was being ***** slapped off the road at any time.

When I have the money to buy and insure something bigger I will be upgrading. But for now, i'm happy.

If your ego can take it, there's nothing wrong with starting small.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Boy View Post
    You probably don't care or will ignore this because new riders usually already have their minds made up (especially when they're asking for justification for a large bike).

But I own a zzr250, weigh 160. I've ridden 2up on the gardiner. I've ridden london - toronto. I've drafted 18wheelers and then had to pass them. I've topped out the bike in full tuck. My buddy on the new 250 has done clutch wheelies. We're both about ~2years experience, i say this to show you that I don't have 78years of experience riding goldwings or hayabusas.

Never felt like I was being ***** slapped off the road at any time.

When I have the money to buy and insure something bigger I will be upgrading. But for now, i'm happy.

If your ego can take it, there's nothing wrong with starting small.
    You could start really small like a KLR 650. You can just manage to pass the stock CBR-125's on the highway.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

My first bike was a SV650s 05, bough it for $5400, rode it for season and a ˝ (put on 11000klm on it) sold it mid season for $5200. Paid Riders + $850 for ins for the year, only having my M2, ins went up to $1100, for last year, sold the bike in Aug, bough my FZ1 in Aug, got ins from John Duffy, with full coverage for $930 a year, and I still only have my M2. Call them and get a great rate.
    Craig
    “Rainy Day On A Bike, Is Better Then A Sunny Day At Work”
    “Live The Day, But Enjoy The Ride”