I would like an honest experienced opinion for a new rider - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I would like an honest experienced opinion for a new rider

Banned

Re: I would like an honest experienced opinion for a new rider

Quote Originally Posted by Spizzak View Post
    +1 For the SV650. Perfect fit for your needs and you'll have lots of room to grow learn on it.
    we are such whores. I got my best rate at Jevco. Still the best i could find. I was with TD for car/house/life and they couldnt touch my jevco rate.

like others have said you can't go wrong with a ex-500 or a sv 650

i loved my ex-500 good on the highway ect

and the sv-650 is even better

Plus 1

Ex or gs 500

sv650 is also a nice bike
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

i think i have my insurance and bike pretty much figured out. its a tossup between the sv650, ex500, and gs500. i will pretty much go for which i can get the best deal for at the time. insurance looks like state farm but i will check out that Jevco place.

now the most important part... a good place for gear. any good cheap wholesale places to buy gear. doesn't matter if its in the GTA or i have to order online. even in the US isn't an issue for me. i do want to get everything. full face helmet, jacket with armor, pants with armor (more than likely), and gloves. I already have a good pair of leather boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Margucci View Post
    i think i have my insurance and bike pretty much figured out. its a tossup between the sv650, ex500, and gs500. i will pretty much go for which i can get the best deal for at the time. insurance looks like state farm but i will check out that Jevco place.

now the most important part... a good place for gear. any good cheap wholesale places to buy gear. doesn't matter if its in the GTA or i have to order online. even in the US isn't an issue for me. i do want to get everything. full face helmet, jacket with armor, pants with armor (more than likely), and gloves. I already have a good pair of leather boots.
    If you're on a budget head to Cycleworld Superstore at Sheppard Ave E and McCowan.

Royal Distributing in Inisfil is good, as well as GP Bikes in Ajax.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Just going back to the bikes for a sec.

I got a GS500e after having a few supersports as a beater bike and to be honest I always had a riot on that thing. You'll learn quicker on it that on an SV. The EX500 will be similar to the GS. The nice thing about the GS is that it is super easy to work on. Even doing things like valve checks is relatively easy although you have to take your time. The shims are over the buckets, so you can take them out easily.... no need to remove the camshaft. You can carb synch it easily and even cleaning the carbs is not too hard. Changing a spark plug is something you can do on the side of the highway with the tools that come with it.

The thing about the GS is that it is a SIMPLE bike.... easy to learn how to fix, easy to learn how to ride and a great beginner bike. IMO, that is the biggest trump card. Plus things typically don't go wrong with it.

Gear -> Best area to go to imo is Parker Bros, Riders Choice and Pro6 (Pro6 not so much for gear, but a good shop to check out if you need work done to the bike). They are all fairly close to each other.

Banned

It is very possible to change a sparkplug on an SV at the roadside, with the factory tool kit.

That being said, lets not council the newbs to do that!!! Put together a correct tool kit that will do most of the basic things you want to do.

Get a shop manual. Cycleworld Superstore also sells those. Wrench as much of your bike as you can. The SV community has some GREAT videos and walk throughs that demystify the process of wrenching your own bike.

svrider.com is a great place for LOTS of technical info. Most of it translates to all bikes. Great race community.

Ah well. OK. Enough shameless SV plugging. Sounds like your on your way.

You just missed a pretty good gear show for new riders.

Luck.

D

wanted to delete post
    Last edited by Margucci; 01-26-2010 at 10:35 PM.

I started out on a 1983 Suzuki GS750,was a great beginner bike for me.It put out about 72 horse power,was pretty good on the highway as well.I'm 6' and weigh about 170lbs.I rode that bike for 5 years,and outside of the standard brakes and tire replacement,had some minor electrical issues.But nothing real serious.I thought it was a great bike,and it was pretty good on insurance as well.I paid $850 the first couple of years,and was down to $550 a year by the time I replaced the old girl.

For 500 - I'd take Kawasaki over Suzuki. Less modern looks but better technically.

If you do go with a 650 then SV is of course a great bike! You could also look at the Ninja.
    Here's a neat comparison of the two bikes, albeit from 2006 so probably newer than you'll be buying.
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/648/...uki-SV650.aspx

BTW, there's no insurance premium for SV650S vs. SV650 (naked). I'd know cause I have one. Best quote was given to me by Avi Singh from Cornerstone. Jevco is the underwriter. SF won't be as good for 650s because of the larger CC count.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    The SV650 is a great bike for starters...
    Not just beginners, I've been riding a "While" and "Downgraded" to a SV 2 years ago and I love it. Makes a great sport tourer when set up like the pic in my Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    It is very possible in theory to change a sparkplug on an SV at the roadside, with the factory tool kit as long as you don't mind losing the skin off your knuckles.

That being said, lets not council the newbs to do that!!! Put together a correct tool kit that will do most of the basic things you want to do.
    Fixed
    A stubby ratchet with a proper spark plug socket and a couple of universals & extensions make life much easier.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a "I started on a GSXR1CBR 1000 and I didn't kill myself" post yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    Not just beginners, I've been riding a "While" and "Downgraded" to a SV 2 years ago and I love it. Makes a great sport tourer when set up like the pic in my Sig.

Fixed
    A stubby ratchet with a proper spark plug socket and a couple of universals & extensions make life much easier.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a "I started on a GSXR1CBR 1000 and I didn't kill myself" post yet.
    I actually used the rusty tool kit once, early on, and actually got the plug out!!!! Yea..tools rock. I got me a nice upper box for cmas. Now i just need a cheap, busted up lower, and i'm good for tool storage..

I was expecting it too, but someone actually said they SHOULD have bought something other than a SS as a first bike, and suggested that it was a good idea for a new rider to consider a NON SS bike.

Things are looking up in Squidvale.

Fixed

Thats cause mayb we haven't had any one make it yet??

I use my 09 ninja 250 to commute from Barrie to Brampton down the 400 every chance I get in the summer and I have no problems with stability, or speed and passing.
    That being said, I am 5'8" and 165lbs, so not as much weight as you on the bike. Also, yes you do have to pay attention to things like passing transport trucks because you can really feel the wind grab you, not in a scary way, but you do have to know your surroundings.

If you are in the market for a ninja 500, my friend is thinking of selling his, and it is in great shape.

Well i am thinking that i will go for my M1 at the beginning of March, take the training in early May or late April maybe. Hopefully the price of bikes doesn't rise too much by then.

As wonderful as the SV650 is, and how it is by far the best bike for the money, it isn't exactly noob friendly. EFI + Torquey V-twin is not a good combination for a beginner, especially one doing lots of traffic commuting. Hell, the engine braking on SV's is something that isn't very forgiving to beginners. One slight pull of the wrist while preparing to do a right turn could result in him crossing lanes and hitting oncoming traffic. EFI doesn't give you a chance to correct your mistake when you're learning to fully utilize the clutch. As lovely as an SV650 is, the on/off nature of the SV throttle is something that leaves a bad taste in my mouth for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetfighter View Post
    As wonderful as the SV650 is, and how it is by far the best bike for the money, it isn't exactly noob friendly. EFI + Torquey V-twin is not a good combination for a beginner, especially one doing lots of traffic commuting. Hell, the engine braking on SV's is something that isn't very forgiving to beginners. One slight pull of the wrist while preparing to do a right turn could result in him crossing lanes and hitting oncoming traffic. EFI doesn't give you a chance to correct your mistake when you're learning to fully utilize the clutch. As lovely as an SV650 is, the on/off nature of the SV throttle is something that leaves a bad taste in my mouth for a beginner.
    Throttle position sensor adjustment easily fixes that.

Banned

Throttle position sensor adjustment easily fixes that.
    Or purchase the even better, first gen, carbed bike.

The nuance of the sv throttle is not all that difficult. And eventually, with care and practice, becomes the center point of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    Or purchase the even better, first gen, carbed bike.

The nuance of the sv throttle is not all that difficult. And eventually, with care and practice, becomes the center point of the bike.
    I LOVE EFI .
    But I agree with you, 1/5 turn throttle ,, bang !,, 6000rpm... off you go

We now return you to the previously scheduled thread already in progress

Banned

I LOVE EFI .
    But I agree with you, 1/5 turn throttle ,, bang !,, 6000rpm... off you go

We now return you to the previously scheduled thread already in progress

Jarvis onramp to the Gardner eastbound.

Empty.