New Rider thinking of getting a YSR 50. Is this a LSM (Low-Speed Motorcycle)?

Thread: New Rider thinking of getting a YSR 50. Is this a LSM (Low-Speed Motorcycle)?

Wink New Rider thinking of getting a YSR 50. Is this a LSM (Low-Speed Motorcycle)?

I'm a new rider thinking of getting a YSR 50.

Is this considered a LSM (Low-Speed Motorcycle)?

Does anyone know the laws for riding this in Ontario?

Insurance etc.?

I think they are super cute and I'm looking to find one that is maybe a 1988 model.

I live in the beaches. Do you think I would be allowed to ride this in city?

Satisfied and still alive!!! Just being me is a full-time thing I got going. Do or Die. Always looking up with my feet firmly on the ground, unless I'm flying and then I close my eyes...

Re: New Rider thinking of getting a YSR 50. Is this a LSM (Low-Speed Motorcycle)?

If I'm not mistaken these are considered in the same category as pocket bikes so they're not street legal. My friend used to have 1 & we got in trouble from popo for riding it on the street he lived on. Popo said we can only ride it on our own private property, not on municipal roads.

The YSR 80 might have a trim that has all the brake lights & signals to make it street legal but I'm not sure if you can find them anymore.

Re: New Rider thinking of getting a YSR 50. Is this a LSM (Low-Speed Motorcycle)?

It looks like the YSR 50 cames with signals and lights, etc. Almost always removed for track use.

If it had all the lights and goodies would there be any technical reason why it WOULDN'T be street legal?

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Welcome aboard. You may also wanna look into a CBR125.. Light, easy to maintain, small, cheap and street legal.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieStar View Post
    I'm a new rider thinking of getting a YSR 50.

Is this considered a LSM (Low-Speed Motorcycle)?

Does anyone know the laws for riding this in Ontario?

Insurance etc.?

I think they are super cute and I'm looking to find one that is maybe a 1988 model.

I live in the beaches. Do you think I would be allowed to ride this in city?
    The YSR 50 is a street legal bike and you could ride it in the city, assuming you find one that still has all the required street lighting equipment and is certifiable.

Whether or not a new rider should get one for use in the city is questionable. While not a pocket bike, they're about as close as you can get to one and still be street legal.

That means that you will be sitting real low on an already small bike. You vision over other vehicles will be severely compromised. You'll have difficulty seeing even over the hoods of other cars and SUVs, never mind over their roofs. Similarly, the ability of other vehicles to see you, especially if you are hidden behind other vehicles, street furniture, or street landscaping will also be severely compromised.

In the city with the amount of traffic and visual obstructions there, all of these negative factors are prevalent to an even greater degree than they would be in a small town or village.

You say you're a new rider. You would really be far better off with a machine that puts your eye level even a little higher up so you can see over other vehicles to see more of the road around you, and so other vehicles can see you.

In a city, scooters are the best at giving you this sort of higher, more upright seating position. Next on the list would be standard bikes. Smaller sport bikes and some of the smaller low slung cruisers would come in last.
    Last edited by turbodish; 01-25-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Ohhhhhh so tempting... Would stop the cops hassling me for: http://likestuff.globat.com/videos/pocket%20bike.wmv

But, it doesn't look like it comes assembled or running?!?! PM incoming... *EDIT: Nevermind, ad says "no PM's". oh well *

-Jamie M.
    Last edited by toysareforboys; 01-25-2010 at 05:37 PM.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

I think a CBR 125 might be better if you're looking for a small bike to get around on. The YSR's are really small.

on a side note, I've been thinking about buying one for fun to kick around the neighborhood on. I buddy used to have one and he said it was a blast. He also said the went down on it all the time. haha

I rode a YSR80 for my first street bike and I would definitely advise against getting one. They are very small, and cannot be ridden at high revs (which are necessary on most roads) for extended periods without overheating.

You can probably pick up a CBR125 for a bit more and it would be a way more reliable and beginner-friendly bike.

Also since its a 2-stroke you have to mix gas and oil yourself unless you're lucky enough to find one that still has a functioning oil pump.

If you are set on getting one however, I saw the one I sold 2 years ago on Kijiji a little while ago. Here's what it looked like:

Last edited by Spizzak; 01-27-2010 at 08:17 PM.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

I'd rather ride a scooter, it would be a lot more comfortable. Have you sat on one of these before? Insurance would be cheap... but... you might end up looking and feeling like you're teaching Human Pretzel 101. Please consider ergonomics and the physics of space and size.

Pick up a 125R or 250R. I think you`ll look better in that
    'Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly'

they have a frame with valid vin number. Canada sell them from 88-92 as road bike.

It is a fun ride for around the block but sux for commuting. If you own one, prepare to get your hand dirty. I can garentee you that you have to work on it one way or other. That said, it is the most simple form of engine you can get, great for learning mechanical skills. You will know that little 50cc engine in side out at the end of the season.

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

Best thing about the YSR:

You never have to worry about parking... you can pick it up and carry it right into your office.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Best thing about the YSR:

You never have to worry about parking... you can pick it up and carry it right into your office.
    I tried it. Its not as easy as the pic look. I think the whole bike is about 200lbs.

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkee View Post
    I tried it. Its not as easy as the pic look. I think the whole bike is about 200lbs.
    If you look at the pic, hes using his left leg to rest the bike on.

Deadlifting 200 lbs like that would def break your back. Unless you are an olympian, but then you probably wouldnt ride a YSR 50 anyways.
    '01 SV650s
    '04 GS500
    '03 SV650s
    '07 GSX-R 600