Green Plate Registration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Plate Registration

Green Plate Registration

Hey all, I'd like to get my YZ125 green plated so I can take it on some trails but I dont have the ownership for it. The bikes story is as follows:

I bought the bike from a guy in New York who said he bought it from a guy in Ontario. Now the guy in Ontario had the papers for it but the bike was never written over to the guy in New York that bought it from him. So now I own the bike but I think the papers are still in the name of the guy the Yankee bought it from ( I think he said it was a dealer).

So my questions are:

1. Can I do anything to get ownership papers for the bike?
    2. Is there a chance that in pursuing this the bike will be thought to be stolen and cause problems?
    3. Is there some way to do legal riding on trails without getting green plated?
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Re: Green Plate Registration

with out a plate and insurance (green or blue plate) the only "Legal riding" you can do is on private land with permission from the owner

now with that being said..... i dont know anyone who has been caught riding crown land with out plates, but some places the cops do patrol, others.... well i have yet to see or hear of cops being in some spots
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMotoJacket View Post
    Does anyone else dislike people talking in 3rd party ?
    Yetti has used it once or twice..
    but when people use it all the time, it's just annoying.
    there are a few certain few, who use it wayyyyyy too much.

contact the ministry to see whose name the bike is in, if the bike was exported it will say that.

how did you get it across the border??, did you declare it

The guy brought it over for me...

So lets say the bike is in some dealer's name in Ontario. What do I do then?
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

A lot of times MX bikes never get registered because the original buyers often only ever intend on using them on tracks (private property). If you can track the vin back to the dealer they may be able to help by issuing paperwork or you may be able to get an affidavit drawn up by a law office (mine cost about $30). I'd 1st start by asking MTO what they want you to get to register it.

GL

Just go to the MTO and get a uvip. On the uvip it will have the last registered owner. Contact that person and get him to write you a bill of sale. Take the bill of sale to the MTO office and get the bike transfered into your name. Pay the 35 bucks and get the green plate. I had to do the same thing for my dirt bike.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys!
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Get the VIN from the bike and ask the MTO if they have a record if it.

If they do --- contact the current owner.

If they dont -- Get an affidavit signed that states you own bike with vin yata yata. Get the affidavit notarized at Legal Aid, because they do it for free

I registered a race KXF a few months ago with no problems at all. Cost me $40 in tax only.

Just a heads up:

Some off-road riding areas require bikes to have a spark arrestor and meet minimum noise regulations. You may want to look into this before going through the green plate process.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Update:

So I went to the MTO with the VIN and the bike has never been registered in Ontario. The guy I bought it off of was in Buffalo, but he said he got it off someone in Ontario but I have no idea where it was last registered or if it was even registered.

MTO lady said I need an affadavit if its never been registered but if it has I need to track down the last owner with registration in his name.

Any suggestions for what to do next?
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Quote Originally Posted by Spizzak View Post
    Any suggestions for what to do next?
    If it's never been registered in Ontario, the process is pretty simple.

Like you said, you need a sworn and notorized affidavit. You can use this as a template for your document:

http://www.ragefaction.info/images/p.../affidavit.jpg

Type that information into your own document (obviously changing the info where needed) and bring it to someone who can notorize it (ie a lawyer).

Once notorized, bring back to MTO and you should be set!
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

So i just checked carfax and the VIN came up as invalid so I'm guessing its never been registered.

Can anyone suggest what kind of lawyer I need to take it to? Also how much would that cost roughly? Anyone specific you can suggest in Hamilton area?

Also should I say I bought it off a guy in Buffalo in the affidavit or would that cause complications?

Thanks so much guys!
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

So i just checked carfax and the VIN came up as invalid so I'm guessing its never been registered.

Can anyone suggest what kind of lawyer I need to take it to? Also how much would that cost roughly? Anyone specific you can suggest in Hamilton area?

Also should I say I bought it off a guy in Buffalo in the affidavit or would that cause complications?

Thanks so much guys!
    I'm not sure offroad vehicles would EVER show up in a carfax, but I could be mistaken.

Pretty much ANY lawyer can notorize a document - the best is if you have a family member or friend of the family who practices law that can notorize it for you for free. If not, you'll pay probably $10-$20 for a notorized document (sorry, can't give you any advice as to where to go).

I personally wouldn't mention anything other than the necessary info in the affidavit - I have found the MTO are easily confused when it comes to plating an off-road vehicle. I had someone in once office tell me dirt bikes absolutely can't be green plated, and no matter how much I tried to convince her she was wrong, she just wouldn't listen. I went to another MTO office the same day and had NO problems at all.

Good luck!

Thanks so much guys!
    im in the same boat as you spizz, i went to the upper james mto, and the lady tried tellin me i need to go to customs and blah blah blah, even tho i had the customs paperwork showing the bike had been imported

Go to a Legal Aid Ontario office - they will notarize an affidavit for free! (that's what I did on my mx bike).

What do I need to take with me other than the letter to be notarized?
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

What do I need to take with me other than the letter to be notarized?
    You will also need a dated bill of sale signed by the seller. On the bill of sale be sure to include:

year
    make
    model
    VIN

Alright so I went to the legal aid office this morning and made an appointment for Thursday.

I also rode home (in pouring rain) and got whatever papers I have for the bike, and here's what I found:

1. Official Yamaha Motor CANADA dealership proof of sale paper (From dealer to person A residing in New York)
    2. Hand written bill of sale from person A to person I bought it off of
    3. Hand written bill of sale from person I bought it off of (but it doesn't say my name on it)

Here's what the bill of sale says:

6/21/2009

Sold one YZ125 2002 as is for $1400. VIN# <enter vin here>

<Seller's Signature>

Both of the first two owners lived in New York but I don't know if it was ever registered there or even imported.

So now I'm wondering, should I bring items 1 and 2 with me, and also will my bill of sale be okay the way it is or should I add my name to the bottom in some way?

Thanks again!
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

my understanding is that all you should take would be 3, the whole point of getting an afidavid is that you swear as far as you know you bought the bike from the owner of the bike

Alright so I went to the legal aid office this morning and made an appointment for Thursday.

3. Hand written bill of sale from person I bought it off of (but it doesn't say my name on it)

Here's what the bill of sale says:

6/21/2009

Sold one YZ125 2002 as is for $1400. VIN# <enter vin here>

<Seller's Signature>

Both of the first two owners lived in New York but I don't know if it was ever registered there or even imported.

So now I'm wondering, should I bring items 1 and 2 with me, and also will my bill of sale be okay the way it is or should I add my name to the bottom in some way?

Thanks again!

I didnt need an appointment with legal aid, just went in and asked if someone could notarize it. I did donate $5 to charity though.

Your bill or sale may cause problems.... It is supposed to read who is selling what to who, with VIN/dates/signatures. I had affadavit, and bill of sale only. Hoping for the best.