Racing and Trackday Insurance

Thread: Racing and Trackday Insurance

Racing and Trackday Insurance

Just spoke with the good folks at Jones-Brown regarding insurance for racers. I didnt know it but they offer out of province (US) medical coverage as well as income replacement should you get injured racing. I didnt even know this stuff was available it may be worth looking into.
    Kevin Besta
    1-888-379-6821 kbesta@jonesbrown.com
    I have no affiliation or interest in this just thought our racers may want to know.

Re: Racing and Trackday Insurance

This may be worth looking at for those that race or do track days in the US. I've heard that some of the companies that you can get health insurance from for travelling in the US, have fine print that they will not cover you if you are participating in such activities. No one wants a bill for 10's of thousands of dollars if you are injured down there.

All of us who are self employed, have no benefits, etc, and are used to writing cheques to our dentists for a $1500.00, can benefit from coverage like this. Get injured at track day or racing, and your earnings get supplemented till you are well enough to work again. I will be calling.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Most health insurance companies, (most I say) will still cover you for track days in the states. As long as it is not competitive, you don't get paid for it, not professional, not amateur, not sanctioned by a race organizer, they class it as a recreational activity and as such will fully cover you. But you need to check with your individual insurer.
    DO NOT read the fine print of your coverage....CALL the company personally. They make the manuals so difficult to interpret, the exclusions may be somewhere you least expect.
    Otherwise, Kneedragger has an option.

My current insurer will cover me for track days, but not for competetive events where there is a finishing order, regardless of purse size.
    Last edited by omnivore; 02-06-2010 at 10:46 PM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Thanks for the info

It's been awhile since this post was started...
    Has anyone looked into Jones Brown insurance and if so, would you care to share your feedback?
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by cola_fiend2003 View Post
    Most health insurance companies, (most I say) will still cover you for track days in the states. As long as it is not competitive, you don't get paid for it, not professional, not amateur, not sanctioned by a race organizer, they class it as a recreational activity and as such will fully cover you. But you need to check with your individual insurer.
    DO NOT read the fine print of your coverage....CALL the company personally. They make the manuals so difficult to interpret, the exclusions may be somewhere you least expect.
    Otherwise, Kneedragger has an option.
    Except the insurance company employees are not in the know either.......the fine print is what stands in court. To be completely sure ask your lawyer and or get something in writing saying you are covered......maybe an email would suffice?
    Last edited by murf; 03-24-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    All of us who are self employed, have no benefits, etc, and are used to writing cheques to our dentists for a $1500.00, can benefit from coverage like this. Get injured at track day or racing, and your earnings get supplemented till you are well enough to work again. I will be calling.
    So, Omnivore - I know it was a long time ago, but what did you end up doing?
    Thanks,

A fellow racer has told me that insurance per day , or annually, is available out of the UK.
    There is a 20% surcharge OVER their standard health insurance rates to include "extreme sports" like skydiving, solo sailing around the world, racing, etc.
    I have sent them an email and I will get back with info once I get a reply. I asked whether they only offer emergency medical, or if they offer disability insurance as income replacement due to injury as well.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6

^ The insurance company is Atlas Insurance, and a bunch of us used them recently on a track-day trip to the USA. They offer general travel insurance with the normal exclusion for extreme sports, but there is an option to pay 20% extra to remove the sports exclusion, and that's what we did. It appears to be available through quite a few brokers here, and you can sign up online. I do not believe it provides long term disability, just medical coverage, but that's the same situation with most travel medical coverage. I didn't ask about long term disability or income replacement but I don't even have that coverage here at home ...
    Last edited by Brian P; 03-25-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    A fellow racer has told me that insurance per day , or annually, is available out of the UK.
    There is a 20% surcharge OVER their standard health insurance rates to include "extreme sports" like skydiving, solo sailing around the world, racing, etc.
    I have sent them an email and I will get back with info once I get a reply. I asked whether they only offer emergency medical, or if they offer disability insurance as income replacement due to injury as well.
    I just called Jones Brown for more info, and basically it's the same as what their website says. It's pricey.... I'm looking forward to hearing what feedback you will have....I'm not looking to do any track/racing outside Ontario, but am self-employed and looking for some income replacement.
    I will stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
    I just called Jones Brown for more info, and basically it's the same as what their website says. It's pricey.... I'm looking forward to hearing what feedback you will have....I'm not looking to do any track/racing outside Ontario, but am self-employed and looking for some income replacement.
    I will stay tuned.
    I recently set myself up with insurance for this specific purpose. Unfortunately, in Canada there is no specific track day coverage for new policies, so the only option is to find insurance that doesn't have exclusions. One way of doing this is to get critical illness insurance of a given amount (say 2 years' salary, for example) to help you cover expenses should anything happen. It pays out a set amount in a lump sum and you can use it for whatever purpose needed.
    RACE Novice #925 - 02 GSXR600 Sportsman Middleweight