Quote Originally Posted by DavidZuke View Post
Thanks for the tip Seawolf. The more I read I think the Suzuki Drz400 s might be the one for me.
The most important thing to take out of all these posts is to get in as many demo days as you can and if that's not possible, go to the dealers and see which ones at least feel good while you're sitting on them. If you're looking at the 650 thumpers, the reviews all say that in comparing the KLR650, the XL650 and the DR650, the XL is better on dirt but not comfortable for much street work and with a short range, the DR is OK on both (lighter + better on dirt) but has a really short range if you're planning on any touring and is NOT comfortable for long range riding. The KLR isn't the best at really anything, but does most things well and at a reasonable price. Great range with a big tank as well. It's the best selling dual in the world for a reason. The KLR had a massive re-do for the '08 model year, the Honda hasn't changed in 16+ years since it came out. The BMW 650 is $3000+ more than the Suzuki, Honda or Kawi. Nice bike, but lots more $$$. If they're too tall for you, then check out what works, again, demo days as often as possible. Borrow a friends bike to try out and ask on forums like this one for opinions. After all that, get the one that you think you want but don't be afraid to say that it doesn't work for you and change to another (as was stated earlier in another post).
I'm 5'9" and ride a stock seated '09 KLR. I can't quite flat foot it. Check out lots of bikes at different dealers. Get out on 2 wheels as soon as possible.