New HD Sportster Forty Eight

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New HD Sportster Forty Eight

New HD Sportster Forty Eight

Looks kind of Exile Cycle-ish to me ...

They really seem to be moving the Sportster more and more in this direction ...

I'm not digging the other colors (Orange and Silver) because the rear fender stays black ...

Also $12,500 for a Sporty is getting way up there in price ... yikes

Re: New HD Sportster Forty Eight

Sportys are looking better and better by the year ... I loved the flat-track racing inspired version (1200 XR?) ... sadly, they all still drive like sportsters (disclaimer: subjective opinion, not a belittling comment)

Love the look of this one, even the orange ain't so bad, as well as the iron head ... trading your bike for one sinic?

d

if they came with a 6 speed gear box i could consider a 1200 for my next ride...

Hah ... No way.

My bike is on the operating table. Lots of work being done.

I just hope it gets all together before the spring. I'm dying to ride.

That is one fat front tire. They're going for the long, low look.

Quote Originally Posted by sinic View Post
    I'm not digging the other colors (Orange and Silver) because the rear fender stays black ...
    No doubt to keep production costs down.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Ok, a few accessories and it's good to go. love the springer seat and blacked out exhaust.
    I never understood why the Harley crowd consider it a "Girls" Bike.

Maybe just Big Bike / Small Penis syndrome.

I like the looks of this, I'm sure they run better than my last Harley, a '72 Sportster.... or maybe I should say they actually run now. That bike was horrible.

did the sportster ever have the foot pegs in a more 'standard' position or have they always been right at the front. I love the look, just don't find that "legs out front all weight on my tailbone position" all that comfortable.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    did the sportster ever have the foot pegs in a more 'standard' position or have they always been right at the front. I love the look, just don't find that "legs out front all weight on my tailbone position" all that comfortable.
    I rode a 1200 Nightster last year and the pegs were in a more standard position from what I remember

Jeez you'd be stopping for fuel a little more than I might like...just under 8L in a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    I'm pretty sure the XL1200R was the closest the Sportster ever was to being a standard. I like the look of this bike, but yeah, too bad about the forward controls.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

You can get mid foot controls stock or aftermarket ones and put them wherever you like.
    As for color choice, only women say things like that , paint is cheap.

The most important thing about buying a Harley is not to purchase anything pre 94.

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    You can get mid foot controls stock or aftermarket ones and put them wherever you like.
    As for color choice, only women say things like that , paint is cheap.

The most important thing about buying a Harley is not to purchase anything pre 94.
    Tell me about it...I got a '93.

Quote Originally Posted by m.breen View Post
    Tell me about it...I got a '93.
    Well, on a positive note, pre 94 parts are readily available on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsephstalin View Post
    Jeez you'd be stopping for fuel a little more than I might like...just under 8L in a tank.
    That's what made me sell my 98 1200. Ride for an hour and then start looking for a gas station.

U could build a real neat scoot using the standard Sporty as a starting point.
    For starters, I'd get longer shocks and get the rear end up like the XR1200. Then a beefy sport bike front end with dbl. discs etc. Replace the 120 tire with a 130/70 for the Fat Boy look.
    The main thing for me would be the seat/peg/handlebar layout. Rearset controls a la Buell Tuber. I'd walk over to my Buell M2 Cyclone and measure the relationship between its foot controls and the seat, then I would replicate that on the Sporty. That would almost certainly mean moving the seat up and forward. To finish it off I'd modify a high capacity fatbob tank to fit between the seat and steering stem (dimpled for triple tree clearance, of course) Maybe a forged aluminum 17" PM back wheel to replace that 60 pounder.

+1 I'd probably pick one of these up (or the nightster even) if the gas tanks weren't so small.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    That's what made me sell my 98 1200. Ride for an hour and then start looking for a gas station.
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
    +1 I'd probably pick one of these up (or the nightster even) if the gas tanks weren't so small.
    They make about 10 different aftermarket tanks for sportsters.

I actually recommend removing the stock tank and storing it for the day you sell the bike.
    Fenders too if possible, it will make a big difference in resale value if you have all the original body.

Plus, you can paint/customize it the way you want, or just copy the stock look.
    A tank and fenders will cost about 1000$ before paint.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-STR...Q5fAccessories

That's the killer for me, With 1/3 less fuel than the regular Sporty I think you'd be filling up at less than 100km.

Paughco makes a 4.5us gal (17L) tank for the 04+ sportsters like the 1200 Custom uses but it would spoil the look of the bike. I wonder how easy it it to swap tanks back and forth on them ?

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    That's the killer for me, With 1/3 less fuel than the regular Sporty I think you'd be filling up at less than 100km.

Paughco makes a 4.5us gal (17L) tank for the 04+ sportsters like the 1200 Custom uses but it would spoil the look of the bike. I wonder how easy it it to swap tanks back and forth on them ?
    First of all, a sportster goes 220kms on the stock tank. (maybe 180 for a throttle twisting nut like you)

You can buy a King tank, which is the same shape as the old one, but its dimensions overall are slightly increased, i believe it holds 3.9 gal.

I have 3 gas tanks, it takes about 15 mins to swap them including the petcock.

OK fine ... but you have to concede ... a 2.1gal tank on a modern bike is absoutely ridiculous.

You can still achieve a "look" with proper function

The fact that we are talking about having to spend money to swap out tanks on a brand new bike that retails for $12,500CDN is silly