Suzuki M109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki M109

Suzuki M109

How many of you have them?

What do you think of it? How does it compare to other cruisers you have owned?

Have been looking at that thing for a while, I really like the styling.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Re: Suzuki M109

There is I think another two or three besides myself that own one.. RicoChet should chime in shortly.

My experience with it: Can't beat it for the money you pay for it

Pro's:

-Awesome power
    -Really easy to handle ( ask booya about the Muskoka ride who was amazed that it fit into corners ha! )
    -Good on gas
    -There are mods for it
    -Smooth

Cons:
    -Wish it had a little more of an easier setup for bags/luggage
    -First gear phobia
    -SET valve in the exhaust tends to squeek, sounds horrible, but you can grease it, or change the exhaust out.

First to second gear have apparently been fixed after 2006, some people still have issues.. the bike just has way too much torque. There are fixes you can do for it and shift kits. I haven't had any issues with it period so far.

You get the best of both worlds with this bike, hands down. You can have your street rides, your cruising rides for hours and hours. When you want to go fast, it'll go fast, if you want to cruise, you cruise..

Keep in mind you're also going to put PREEEEEEEEMIUM in her as well.. 19L tank.. the range is not bad..minimum 91 Octane... If I put Sunoco Gold, before any indicators for fuel amount start counting down, It'll do 200KM without blinking.

The previous bike I had before this was a 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750. Quite a step up, but have never regretted it.

The other to really watch for us the attention it gets.. now I didn't get the bike for that.. I just want to ride the damn thing... but I have had a few close calls where parents have wanted to always be near me because the kids liked it... other times... never forget this one...the DRIVER who was giving me the thumbs up on the 401 ..all this while looking BACK through his side passenger window!

You have to be alert in traffic.. as always with any bike mind you..but this one gets a tiny bit more
    Last edited by slm; 01-22-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    "It's water over the bridge" ? What smoke are you cracking?!

How about Insurance costs due to the engine size?

I guess you would want to stay away from the guys that rate on CC alone?
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Great minds must think alike
    I was looking at the M109s as well for the street.
    Then I saw the new 2010 M50 which has similar styling.
    I was talking to my dealer, for about $8K it looks like a fun bike.

I'd love to hear some feedback on both.

M109

2010 M50

I sat on the M90... I hate where the displays are.. they suck in positioning... for Insurance, it's in the cruiser class.. so there's some saving right there. Compared to my shadow, it's cheaper.. After 3 yrs my shadow just got down to $900 or so a year..no tickets or anything like that. My 109 costs me about $1100.. when I get my M, should go down even more. I also joined another insurance that was specifically for cruisers as well.

The M90 is not the same bike

The M109R Is an AWESOME bike.

First and foremost it is a large, heavy bike. Make sure you are comfortable with handling a 800lbs beast that can run like a sports bike in a straight line.

Other then that, Theres nothing to not like about the bike. It's got style, power and wow factor that you can't imagine from other people on the road.

Yeah there is a slight clunk from 1'st to 2nd but Thats just something you get used to, and adding synthetic oil does help.

I installed a TRE on mine called a JSD-3M which adjusts the first 1-3 gears to use the 4th gear mapping to help make the ride even smoother when cruising in the city, it has a LOT of torque and can be a challenge to control when you are first learning it.

Otherwise feel free to ask me any questions about the bike. I am very happy with mine.

Lets Ride

I don't like the new style of the M50.. but from what I have heard, some test riding them, they handle extremely well and are a lot of fun in twisties.

RicoChet, thats one mean sexy bike. I love the look of it.
    09 Bandit 1250 Touring
    Previously owned: 00 CBR F4

I had a previous gen M50 and they are great bikes as well. Very easy to handle, sound great and very customizable.

My only complaint was that it was a little low on power. 120-140kph on the 400 series highway was starting to push that 48 horsepower to its limit.

But for the cost of a used one, a great deal... I regard it the same as my old Honda Shadow 750, a great cruiser for a great price.
    Lets Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
    RicoChet, thats one mean sexy bike. I love the look of it.
    Thanks brother! I fell in love with it as well when I Saw one for the first time in 2006. You would not believe the looks I get when I am on the road, people just stare from all directions. Kids with cell phones standing on the side of the street start taking pics!
    Lets Ride

why the heck can't I post pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by slm View Post
    why the heck can't I post pictures?
    My pictures are hosted on Imageshack and then I just paste the direct link to it in here...
    Lets Ride

I have an 08 M50 and love it, it is great in the twisties and insurance is reasonable!

Steve

For 2010 Honda has come out with new bikes that are comparable with the sukuki, the Honda stateline and the Interstate are nice too.
    http://www.motorcycle.com/news/honda...els-88949.html

I love the rakish laid back styling. And its got lots of meat on its bones if you know what I mean. It reminds me of something really POWERFULL. Love the feeling and the additude it reverberates. Just when you think the hobby is getting stale, Suzuki comes up with a winner.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Nothing is more fun than smokin a noob on his shiny new 600SS with a cruiser , Good to hear they're good in the twisties.

Really have to see it in person though.

RicoChet,, hat is a sweet looking bike.. 120-140kph should keep me out of trouble on the street . I'll save the higher velocities for the track.

The Yamaha Raider is another on that caught my eye. plus I know where I can get a sweet deal on a very lightly used one.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    For 2010 Honda has come out with new bikes that are comparable with the sukuki, the Honda stateline and the Interstate are nice too.
    http://www.motorcycle.com/news/honda...els-88949.html
    These bikes are puny in comparison to the might of the M109R! only 1300ccs compared to 1800cc
    Lets Ride

2007 HD VRSCDX Night Rod Special :) Oh yeah...

It was my second choice of bike after my HD Night Rod Special. Great bike at a great price. As Ricochet said though you need to be VERY certain you can handle the weight of a big bike. It's not light by any stretch of the imagination.
    Cheers,

M.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    Nothing is more fun than smokin a noob on his shiny new 600SS with a cruiser , Good to hear they're good in the twisties.

Really have to see it in person though.

RicoChet,, hat is a sweet looking bike.. 120-140kph should keep me out of trouble on the street . I'll save the higher velocities for the track.

The Yamaha Raider is another on that caught my eye. plus I know where I can get a sweet deal on a very lightly used one.

The bike will do 120kph at about 2800rpms in 5th gear, pretty much effortless considering it can do 240kph at about 7200rpms!

As far as the raider is concerned it is a really gorgeous bike and its comfort rating is very high on my scale. If I had to get rid of my 9 for another bike I'd get that Raider. They are customizable as well, I really like Yamaha.
    Lets Ride

It's not as bad as people think it is for handling... I'll keep saying it... Richochet is over 6" I think.... I'm 5"4-5"5 as long as your moving... the bike at times ( to me ) doesn't feel any more different than my shadow did. I feel more confident on this bike then I did on my shadow...but ofcourse... she gets a little clunky, but what do you expect.