Toronto to Victoria

Thread: Toronto to Victoria

Toronto to Victoria. Ontario to BC, any advice?

It's been almost two years since my discovery of east coast.
    Since then I got a full set of hard cases and about to install hand guards on my 00 Bandit 1200.
    It's time to hit west coast.
    Can not make up my mind if we should put the bike on the trailer and start in Calgary, or ride from Ontario (as I know that huge part of Canada between is not too exciting).

I would like to ask you (maybe among you there are some experience tourers) to give me tips to what to see on the way.

I would like to set some rules for tips as I would like to organize the whole trip properly and map it properly and after just connect the dots and follow the path:

1. Please start your suggestion with Province/State as a first word (as it is easier afterwards to map everything and keep track of it.
    2. Please use proper names that can be mapped rather than slang or common names.
    3. If possible please post a photo or link to a photo for place identification.
    4. Please leave tips about camp grounds/motels etc

Thank You All.
    Last edited by arekzjawin; 01-25-2010 at 05:22 PM.
    http://www.arcadius.ca/

1964 Junak M10, 2000 Bandit 1200

Re: Toronto to Victoria

BC - take the southern route through BC on the crow's nest (pass) highway. amazing ride all the way.
    DEMOCRACY - NOT PLUTOCRACY www.globalresearch.ca

Thank you for the input.
    It seem that no too many people do touring on this forum, or they are simply reluctant to share their experience.

I will keep this post for next few weeks and if there is no replies I will simply remove it and move to some touring orientated forum.

Thank you once again for your time.

Well you're pretty much right about it being a bit sparse on stuff to see in the middle but I'm thinking Drumheller and the Dinosaur museum might be worth a look. Once you're in the Rockies I'd be all over the crow's nest pass.

When you get back on the number one heading towards Chilliwack. Head North to Agassiz and take the number seven towards Mission, you won't be disappointed.

Once you're on the Island, head up to Long Beach and Cowichan.

Good luck.
    Steve Abbott

I'm on the island right now, but I havent got out much (no bike and im in school), but i hear the road, hwy 14 to Port Renfrew is nice
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

I can not speak for the prairies but i always found northern ontario to be very nice (note the southern route is better).
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

If you want to see Canada, you should see Canada. Ittakes about a third of the trip to get out of Ontario, a third to get to the mountains and a third to get through the mountains. Sask is not flat if you travel on the side roads on either side of the transcanada. Man. IS flat.
    +1 on taking the Crow's Nest through the mountains.
    For a change of pace and a speedy return, come back through the states.

Manitoba is better if you head north through Whiteshell and avoid the Trans Canada. Don't expect to see back to back scenic views like in Ontario or BC. Expect to see some oddities like the desert near Shilo, Tea houses (Nice lunch spots), some people that are not in a massive hurry etc.

Thanks and keep them coming.

At some point in near future (maybe reading week) I will start mapping all the mentioned places on a googlemap service. I will also try to find out links and prices for particular spots or/and photos.

Cheers.