North Shore of Lake Superior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Shore of Lake Superior

North Shore of Lake Superior

I have been spending the winter so far dreaming up new treks to go on in the summer. My big spring trip will be the Gaspe peninsula - The Cabot Trail - Isle de Madeleine. That's taken alot of my fantasizing, and is first on my list of major trips (hopefully in May).

However, I was talking to a guy a few weeks ago that was raging about the jaunt around the North Shore of Lake Superior. Its apparently a pretty common trek, but I've just learned of it. I've been looking at pics and it looks absolutely amazing. I'm wondering if anyone here has done this trek, and if so what are some thoughts on it? Any "must see" spots along the way? I basically do whatever people suggest whenever possible so I'm all ears for any ideas. Cheers.

Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

Re: North Shore of Lake Superior

I've done it. There is certainly some sense of accomplishment riding around the lake and crossing it off a "list" of rides you might have however the ride gets boring on the American side of the lake. I'd suggest riding to Thunder Bay and either circling back and perhaps heading back via hwy11. I don't know what the road over the Kirkland Lake is like but others can comment.

Sleeping Giant park near Thunder Bay is amazing plus there is a nice road into it just watch out for deer.

I would expect it could still be pretty cool in May. You might want to wait until mid June.

I agree that the east coast is a bit iffy so early in the season
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Really? Good to know. This ride will actually be in the summer at some point, or perhaps early fall.

Sleeping Giant Park is now on the "to do list".

Here's a cool place to stay in Rossport

http://www.serendipitygardens.ca/

The US side is boring so I'd agree with the reco about trying something else

Quote Originally Posted by spankayf View Post
    Here's a cool place to stay in Rossport

http://www.serendipitygardens.ca/
    Looks Pricey. What are the rates?

I went over the lake just before the August Long weekend in 09. I'll tell you, riding in either side of Wawa in the early hours of the day was spectacular.

Well worth doing.
    "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."
    General "Buck" Turgidson, (George C. Scott)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

2007 R1200GS with an identity crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhacide View Post
    Looks Pricey. What are the rates?
    Low end B&B rates 80 -100 if I recall ... not sure about a single room

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    I went over the lake just before the August Long weekend in 09. I'll tell you, riding in either side of Wawa in the early hours of the day was spectacular.

Well worth doing.
    Twice.... just turning around and heading in the other direction surprising how the view changes

I agree the entire trip is for the Wawa stretch of road. You are riding above the tree line looking out ove the lake then down some sweeping turns cut throught the rocks. Its just great and well worth a couple of u-turns.

yep....did it in my Morgan in August of 2001....it's spectacular

stay the night in Wawa....get on the road by 6am and head to T-Bay....it's a great run

There's a six AM now? Blech.

JK. great input. Thanks.

I love going up to T-bay, beautiful drive or ride. I've crossed at SSM and headed south and west from there, Not much to see but I would definately still do the full loop.

A couple of things to consider when planning your trip. Firstly, dont plan to do much riding after dark. There's lots of animal activity at night up there. Also, you'll miss the scenery Secondly, on my trips to T-bay i have found fuel is hard to get much past 9. Most places are closed fairly early.

This trip is on my to do list. I would love to be able to find the time.
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.

Smile Re: North Shore of Lake Superior

Did something similar last year. Toronto to Thunder Bay, then back and up and across Highway 11. 11 was a MAJOR MISTAKE. It is so boring!.Down through New Liskeard (beautiful, will definitely go there again this summer) and Temagami. Got a little confused about where to stop, did 839km the last day!

Toronto to Thunder Bay was amazing, riding alongside the lake gives great elevation changes and views. Should have gone to Kenora, will next time.

Dave
    Last edited by Barneycanoe; 01-26-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Agreed -- 11 is boring. I took this a long time ago from Algonquin up to Kirkland lake. Was starting to fall asleep (literally -- that's how I wound up in K. Lake!)

But the next day I headed into Timmons for breakfast then took 144 down to Sudbury. Now that was a nice ride. Lots of turns, tons of trees, rocks and a couple of moose. Just a really great ride; and one of those rides that I was glad to be alone on.

I've never done the Superior coast, though I hope to this summer. So I'll be watching this thread intently.
    Wherever you may roam
    May you own your road.

Smile Re: North Shore of Lake Superior

I was specifically referring to the east-west part of 11 as being boring. I don't mind the north-south part as much (i.e. Cochrane to Huntsville, although they are screwing that part up with the divided highway). It was amazing how much highway construction was going on. Here you are in the middle of nowhere and every couple of miles they are upgrading the highway. Someone suggested it's the only economic activity that far north.

If anyone would care to post alternate routes on google maps that would be really great.

Old woman bay just south of Wawa is the most beautiful and the scariest place on Superior for this guy.I camped on the beach years ago on a solo fishing trip for river steelhead.The lake was dead calm in the morning so i took my little canoe out to the entrance of the bay and trolled.Really thick fog rolled in and without a compass (duh) it took me hours to finally find my way back to the beach.Lake Superior can be very unpredictable and dangerous.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by canuckerjay View Post
    Agreed -- 11 is boring. I took this a long time ago from Algonquin up to Kirkland lake. Was starting to fall asleep (literally -- that's how I wound up in K. Lake!)

But the next day I headed into Timmons for breakfast then took 144 down to Sudbury. Now that was a nice ride. Lots of turns, tons of trees, rocks and a couple of moose. Just a really great ride; and one of those rides that I was glad to be alone on.

I've never done the Superior coast, though I hope to this summer. So I'll be watching this thread intently.
    hwy 144. i've travelled 144 four times. seen at least one moose each trip. be careful! My friend Steve May (RIP), had a camp on 144. he hit a moose three different times in his car. The third one killed him. ditto for moose along the north shore of superior.

as for the trip along the north shore of superior..late july or early august would be best, you'll get terrorized by blackflies in june - unbearable. temps can get real cold. heated gear is a real good idea, especially in august. amazing ride and i still think about that trip from 2 decades ago!
    DEMOCRACY - NOT PLUTOCRACY www.globalresearch.ca

^^^ Good info. Thanks.

Will any body be doing this run in the near future? I have a week of holidays to burn up and would like to try it on a bike, little hesitant running it by myself.