Well looky here..... - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well looky here.....

Re: Well looky here.....

Thanks for the section intro. I actually didn't even notice it. Cruiser/Standard talk seems to get buried in the main forum.

Hah...I can post in both forums now! (although I'm still geographically challenged...)

Should be picking up the tourer (Honda PC800) in a few weeks.

ok I'm here too, just found this. So what now?
    09 Bandit 1250 Touring
    Previously owned: 00 CBR F4

Ahhh, a nice place to yell at those kids to GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote Originally Posted by hdsomeday View Post
    I find it rather sad that this is even required.
    In a way it's kind of sad, but the reality is that different people see riding in different ways. To me any riding is good riding but I relate more to people that look at riding in the same way I do.

I did a poll a short while ago asking what type of bike people here rode. Over half said Sport bikes and 20% said sport tourers. I am sure that people riding cruiser, touring bikes, adventure bikes, etc are feeling a bit left out.

In general, I think sport bike riders are looking for a different bike experience then are people that tour a lot, and I am sure the cruiser rider is looking for a different experience as well. It's not a matter of better or worse, but different and sometimes I feel that we are talking a totally different language.

For me, my bike experience isn't about being fastest or faster than you, or about having a good looking bike (to be honest I think my bike is a bit ugly but I love it just the same!) It's about riding, and riding a lot, ideally over great roads to places I haven't been before. I spend a lot of my winter time thinking over different places I'd like to ride to. I am setting up a 5,500 km ride in May down to the Dragon and beyond with friends. I'd like to do a two week road trip in the summer, ideally to the west coast and back, but with all the things I want to see I'll probably not make it much past Colorado and/or Arizona. I'll hae some weekend rides with friends that will probably be a couple of thousand km's by the time we are back, and also will do a number of Sunday rides with groups and with a few friends.

And between these rides I get to commute to work most days on my bike.

I've noticed sport bike riders setting up a trip to the Dragon. Many end up trailering their bikes down. Nothing wrong with that, but for me there is as much if not more fun in riding all the little backroads to get to and back from the Dragon as there is in actually riding at the Dragon.

So, it's all riding,. but we all seem to have a different take on things.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

V-Tom,
    I agree with you except I disagree on one thing. Your bike is not ugly at all.
    I would have bought a VStrom except it is too high for me
    09 Bandit 1250 Touring
    Previously owned: 00 CBR F4

Quote Originally Posted by 220hpR1 View Post
    who wants a cruiser when you can ride a sportbike?
    like seriously?
    Somebody who likes to go on long rides and appreciates getting off the bike without stiff back/***/knees in addition to be able to take some travelling cargo.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by 220hpR1 View Post
    who wants a cruiser when you can ride a sportbike?
    like seriously?
    Generally when you reach the level of maturity, when speed becomes a state of mind, and no longer just in relation to a number that is to be disregarded on a regulatory sign, often to your driver's licence's peril.

Got an '87 Kawi Vulcan in the back of the garage, that is awaiting resurrection through equal parts inspiration and perspiration, so i'll fit in fine on this sub-forum... that is if i don't turn it into a brough-superior styled cafe first.
    '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - '88 Hannigan Comet chair

Quote Originally Posted by spankayf View Post
    I'll tolerate the cruisers as long as they dont start exchanging tips about their onboard sound systems...

Would you count instructions on how to debaffle your stock pipes a tip about onboard sound systems?
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Bill View Post
    Generally when you reach the level of maturity, when speed becomes a state of mind, and no longer just in relation to a number that is to be disregarded on a regulatory sign, often to your driver's licence's peril.

Got an '87 Kawi Vulcan in the back of the garage, that is awaiting resurrection through equal parts inspiration and perspiration, so i'll fit in fine on this sub-forum... that is if i don't turn it into a brough-superior styled cafe first.
    Well put Bill,
    This year will be my 28th year of street riding, I got my license the day I turned 16 and spent many years on the dirt before that. Since before many here were a glimmer in their Mommas eye.

If you look in my Sig, there's a reason there's 2 bikes there. I love speed, Always have, Likely always will. Likely pushed my luck WAY too far over the years on the street. With a bit of maturity hopefully you realize there's a time and place for everything. Even the SV650S, Which is set up for sport touring is quick enough to get you in a heap of trouble fast. With a bit of maturity, you realize the only way to really enjoy the performance of a SuperSport is on a track. But you'll never convince some people of that. For too many it's the Image. Unfortunately, It just takes time. Unfortunately, It means burying friends. But at 20, you're still invincible, At least in your own mind.

Speed is relative and a state of mind, Running down the back straight on a track with 10 other bikes, 250kph doesn't feel that fast sometimes.. Cruising a twisty back road at 95kph can seem plenty quick, All depends where your head is at.

I'm even considering flipping the SV for a cruiser this year. Motorcycling means many different things to many different people, And all forms are good, Just different.

And that is a SWEET idea for the old Vulcan.

Thumbs up Re: Well looky here.....

Count me in guys. Cruisers have rights too. This is going to be a great forum. Looking forward to hooking up for a ride this coming season.

i'm here, i ride a touring bike. look forward in participating in the thread

thanks

i for one am glad and excited for the future of this site. the sport bike set with their internet superman routines were getting tiresome. the cruiser and touring set are typically more mature and less likely to act like clowns. it will be good to get to knwo all of you.
    cheers!
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Quote Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
    i for one am glad and excited for the future of this site. the sport bike set with their internet superman routines were getting tiresome. the cruiser and touring set are typically more mature and less likely to act like clowns. it will be good to get to know all of you.
    cheers!

You can join the cruiser group here too, no crybabies allowed. http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...php?groupid=16

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post

You can join the cruiser group here too, no crybabies allowed. http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...php?groupid=16
    Tearing up the streets sounds like work - I'd rather be riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Bill View Post
    LOL! It's not necessarily about the speed as opposed to riding style. I'm about to turn 42 and I ride pretty aggressively with no signs of stopping! I was draggin' the pegs on the Marauder last season...in the city no less! This Spring, I'm movin' on to a CBR. Everyone that sees me ride knows I ride the cruiser like it's a sport bike anyway, might as well do what makes me happy I just love being on a bike that can move that way...*shrugs*
    Last edited by Nyx13; 01-25-2010 at 09:27 PM.

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx13 View Post
    This Spring, I'm movin' on to a CBR.
    Fine, so get back on the other side of the fence then, this section is for CRUISERS!!

Remember when we were the "dark side"?
    Now er days it seems the sporties have taken our monicker over, but on the bright side....
    1- Cops leave us alone cuz they know a sportbike will whip by and get a bigger ticket!
    2- Our insurance rates are alot lower
    3- After a ride we can talk about the beautiful scenery
    4- Chicks dig guys who don't wear skin tight leather
    5- South Park still picks on Harley riders
    6- At rallies, we still outparty the rest
    7- Feel free to add more...

Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Fine, so get back on the other side of the fence then, this section is for CRUISERS!!
    Hey..... Don't have it yet.

Besides, you're gonna miss me when I'm gone!

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx13
    I'm about to turn 42 and I ride pretty aggressively with no signs of stopping! I was draggin' the pegs on the Marauder last season...in the city no less!
    Note the bolded portions. Bill said maturity, not age. Usually if that has to be explained, you probably have one, but not the other.

I'm also almost 42. I ride an '08 CBR600RR. I love twisties too, and I ride rather aggressively on occasion, preferably when there are no cages (or police) around. I don't generally ride aggressively in traffic, know my limits, and try to stay away from people who I know ride in an immature way.

I am also getting my first touring bike soon, and plan on riding it almost as much as my CBR. I suspect the touring bike will get more miles/year, but the CBR will get ridden more frequently.