Changes at Kawasaki Canada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes at Kawasaki Canada.

Changes at Kawasaki Canada.

No true factory team.

from inside motorcycles

By John Hopkins

Four-time defending Parts Canada Superbike Championship winning team Canadian Kawawsaki Motors has announced a restructuring of its program for 2010.

Competition Systems, owned by noted race tuner Mike Crompton, has taken over the squad. According to a press release Competition Systems will shortly announce its lone rider, who will compete solely in the Superbike feature class aboard a Ninja ZX-10R. The new team will be called 'Competition Systems Kawasaki Race Team.'

It is believed the rider for the team will not be Jordan Szoke, who has won the past four Parts Canada Superbike and Yoshimura Pro Sport Bike titles for the 'green team', but 2008 HJC Pro Rookie of the Year Alex Welsh, who made his factory debut with Kawasaki last summer. The Uxbridge, ON racer is understood to still have a year remaining on his Canadian Kawasaki Motors contract while Szoke and Kawasaki were believed to be struggling to come to a suitable extension agreement.

Last year Szoke tied Steve Crevier for the most Canadian Superbike titles with six and became the winningest rider in the sport's history with 29 race victories.

“Due to a number of circumstances we have decided to suspend activities with our factory program for 2010,” said Jeff Comello of Canadian Kawasaki Motors in a press release. “But despite this state of change we have tried to keep as much continuity as possible and Mike Crompton and Competition Systems are the perfect fit. We have been together now for four-plus years and have enjoyed a great deal of success.”

Crompton has some 40 years of experience in the Canadian motorcycle industry, supplying engines and race equipment to some of the country’s leading competitors.

“Canadian Kawasaki Motors is a great company and I’m looking forward to this,” Crompton said. “We already have a good team structure and equipment. We’ve spent a number of years building this program and all we have to do is just continue what we’ve started.”

The agreement between Canadian Kawasaki Motors and Competition Systems is for one year and will be re-evaluated at the end of the 2010 racing season, the release said.

“Kawasaki is committed to showcasing the Ninja brand in competition and we feel strongly that we need to be behind the Parts Canada Superbike Championship,” Comello added. “This is the perfect venue for us to display our products.”

Re: Changes at Kawasaki Canada.

Sad, but expected. Would Szoke be competitive on a decent ride in AMA?

yep,

he was at the front of the AMA superstock series in 2003 before the "UNPLEASANT" business with US Customs/Immigration.

He wouldn't be far off the front in superbike now, the problem is the cost of running that type of program and there is no return on the investment as the AMA prize money would only cover about half a front running team's tire budget.

NO chance of earning a living at it.

It seems that Kawasaki factory teams are becoming a thing of the past.

First Kawasaki leaves MotoGP.

Then First Kawasaki drops out of DMG superbike series and then leaves the DMG series altogether as announced this month.

Now Kawasaki is leaving the Parts Canada Superbike Championship.

As you all know a privately run team is not the same as a factory team. They do not have the same resources as a factory team.

I know everyone is trying to cut costs these days, but soon you won't see a decent Kawi racing team on the track.

Heard last week that Szoke was the owner of a pair of new GSXRs. Not sure what that means exactly but interesting.....hmmmmmmmm. Maybe he is coming to SOAR j/k

Define "DECENT?"

Does a team have to show up in a transport truck with 30 crew to be a "DECENT" team?

The teams in Canada weren't always run out of transport trucks and the racing was as good, if not better at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Define "DECENT?"

Does a team have to show up in a transport truck with 30 crew to be a "DECENT" team?

The teams in Canada weren't always run out of transport trucks and the racing was as good, if not better at that time.
    I dont think that anyone could say the the folks involved arent skilled and capable. But in the end it is the show and the show suffered yet again. When fans walk the pits they want to see the big haulers and sexy girls handing out this and that. They want to see the walk outs with all the "factory" colours flying.
    The series is seriously damaged and the show has to suffer because of it. Bigger question is who is paying who when it comes to TV coverage. I cant imagine the show producers are too happy about the goings on.
    Its a four round series three of which are on crappy tracks with only one factory effort. Dont get me wrong I want to see the nationals do well just not sure if its salvageable at this point. As you know I have done all I can to help not sure to what end yet.
    Last year two top tens at Mosport in pro SBK paid $600 in prize money what is the purse this year? Is the privateer even going to bother? Last year the TV coverage was dismal maybe there is some infomercial space on the shopping network or OMNI available cheap.

Guess I should dust off my bikini eh?

like it's dusty

Okay then, if everything is so bad,, why and how does BSB do it?

I think the factories will still be involved. If Kawasaki Canada is only focusing on Superbike. What will they do with 600/Sportbike? Maybe they'll look for some decent privateers,Karl, and give them some serious help for 600. In fact,, they could help Karl and maybe a couple others for a very small amount in comparison to what they were spending.

This could ,looking on the positive side be a very good thing. If the other manufacturers follow suit. We could see some very good 600/Sportbike privateer teams.
    I have allways said a series where the factories are not directly involved would be a better series. Would you take your basket of money and put it all on one guy,,or spread it around as much as you could.
    I think, this could be the beginning of a good thing. With this type of program the manufacturers can spend time looking at SOAR and RACE,Shuby,ASM for the next group of supported riders for the nationals.

This may just save the factories money and help the privateer. It may take a few years to sort out and settle. But no one could disagree four or five supported riders from each factory would be a good thing.

One could only hope!

The fact that you just admitted having a bikini frightens me,,not to mention a mental picture nobody needed!

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post

I think the factories will still be involved. If Kawasaki Canada is only focusing on Superbike. What will they do with 600/Sportbike? Maybe they'll look for some decent privateers,Karl, and give them some serious help for 600. In fact,, they could help Karl and maybe a couple others for a very small amount in comparison to what they were spending.

This could ,looking on the positive side be a very good thing. If the other manufacturers follow suit. We could see some very good 600/Sportbike privateer teams.
    I have allways said a series where the factories are not directly involved would be a better series. Would you take your basket of money and put it all on one guy,,or spread it around as much as you could.
    I think, this could be the beginning of a good thing. With this type of program the manufacturers can spend time looking at SOAR and RACE,Shuby,ASM for the next group of supported riders for the nationals.

This may just save the factories money and help the privateer. It may take a few years to sort out and settle. But no one could disagree four or five supported riders from each factory would be a good thing.

One could only hope!
    Here's hoping you're right.

One could only hope!
    Now that sounds interesting!
    Pro # 175

Thanks to my Sponsors: Racer5, SpeedWorx, SpeedGear, Kawasaki Canada,
    Uber-Racing, Pirelli/ Orion Motorsports, Kahuna Powersports, Armour Bodies, WoodCraft, MotoVan, Vortex, TechSpec, Sidi & PitBull

I had a discussion with someone who knows a lot more than me about something very similar.

The idea is that the manufacturers could work with one or two or even three privateer teams and work out a considerable amount of support. Not having to pay for the logistics of a full factory effort would save several wheelbarrows full of money. For, lets say, half the money they spent on last years program they could put a mountain of support behind 2 or even 3 privateer teams and give them an opportunity that would have otherwise been impossible.

One could only hope!
    Ageed to a point. Nobody doubts the quality of the racing just the quality of the show. Comparing Canada to BSB is like comparing Disneyland to one of those weekend "fairs" set up at the local strip mall.
    I wouldnt hold my breath with the factories spreading anything meaningful around. Whats the payoff? If nobody is watching the show then what difference will it make if there are 26 privateers running around. No payoff for the buck.
    I think in a perfect world it needs to be blown up and rethought. You are absolutely right about one thing. Make a series thats strong and has a good show and then the factories will come knocking and want to be involved. Hopefully so would outside money.
    Everyone here has a vested interest therefore we need to take a step back and look at things in the proper light. The factories need mass appeal to people not racers to warrant investment and in the current form its not there.
    The national series in its current business model is doomed. Can it be changed on the fly and reserect itself to former glory? Lets hope so. I suspect however it needs to implode and come back in a different form and thats going to take time.
    Just my opinion and I could very well be wrong.
    Last edited by kneedragger88; 01-13-2010 at 04:08 PM.

You just called Canadian the "CARNIES" of the racing world.

Bick, this is why I have the bikini!

One could only hope!
    You just called Canadian the "CARNIES" of the racing world.

Bick, this is why I have the bikini!
    It's all making more sense!

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Ageed to a point. Nobody doubts the quality of the racing just the quality of the show. Comparing Canada to BSB is like comparing Disneyland to one of those weekend "fairs" set up at the local strip mall.
    Wasn't comparing,, was "asking". Why is BSB so successfull?
    BSB in some cases is better then WSB for competition. Canadian Superbike isn't even in the same league.
    The point is ,if you have a very successful format that is working and has many successful sponsors,,,,"why" would one not copy it?

A "weekend fair" is being nice,,,

My answer/thought is BSB is 100% solid entertainment! I don't think any would leave thinking they got ripped-off! And the grids are full!

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Heard last week that Szoke was the owner of a pair of new GSXRs. Not sure what that means exactly but interesting.....hmmmmmmmm. Maybe he is coming to SOAR j/k
    That wood be great!!!! (the GSXR part)

Wasn't comparing,, was "asking". Why is BSB so successfull?
    BSB in some cases is better then WSB for competition. Canadian Superbike isn't even in the same league.
    The point is ,if you have a very successful format that is working and has many successful sponsors,,,,"why" would one not copy it?

A "weekend fair" is being nice,,,

My answer/thought is BSB is 100% solid entertainment! I don't think any would leave thinking they got ripped-off! And the grids are full!
    It would be great if they could. The British culture is much more bike friendly more fans etc. Hell they have to pre-book track days months in advance even then it sometimes goes to lottery to get in.
    We need promoters thats where the bands and midways come from. But always rearing its ugly head is $$$$$ and where are they coming from? Someone has to be willing to take the reins and spend some money to grow it. I don't see that person in Canada. Its so cost prohibitive between track rentals, staff, ambulance, insurance, hardware etc. You are looking at 25-30 grand capital outlay for a weekend at an "ok" track. Premium tracks add another 10K. Thats before you make one red cent, now throw in a rain forecast and some promotion and you risk losing thousands. Pretty hard to find promoters willing to roll the dice and with deep enough pockets to take the hit potentially for years before it sees a profit. Go ahead ask me how I know?
    You are 100% right though when you suggest building a show and then just answer the door when suits start knocking wanting to get aboard.
    BSB........... "Bickle Superbike Series" sorry did I just type that out loud?
    Last edited by kneedragger88; 01-13-2010 at 11:01 PM.