6'2" new rider looking for a sportbike - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6'2" new rider looking for a sportbike

Re: 6'2" new rider looking for a sportbike

Why start on a sportbike? I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just curious. I can almost guarantee that if you started on a Ninja 250 and progressed to a cruiser you'd be disappointed.

You don't have to fork out mad cash for a cruiser. If that's the route you want to go but don't want to buy a brand new Vulcan 900, look for a used Vulcan 500. They're a little trickier to find, but they're usually pretty cheap and are very n00b friendly without being pathetically underpowered.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

I was in the same boat when i was looking for a new sportbike last year. 6' 195 pounds and i didnt want to look silly on a tiny bike.

Go take a look at the hyosung gt250r, its the same size as a 600c sportbike with good power and it wont rape your bank account on purchase price or insurance cost. I can ride with my gf on the back and it still has plenty of power with its v-twin engine

Last edited by mccarthy; 01-12-2010 at 08:33 PM.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known"
    - Carl Sagan http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlSaga.../0/wupToqz1e2g

I'm 6'2" and about 195lbs. I bought an 09 ninja 250 last summer. fits me just fine and performs fine as well.

As long as you're comfortable on it, shouldn't that be what matters?

re: sport vs cruiser. when i was shopping around i had it down to a ninja 250 and a yamaha v-star 650. deciding factor for me ended up being the price. I found an 09 ninja with 400km's for 4k and insurance was only $700 for the year. I couldn't find a v-star for under 4500 that wasn't 7 years old 20,000+ km's. Insurance was also 1100-1800 everywhere i looked.

So.. i opted for the 250 for now. see how i like it and motorcycling in general and see where it goes. the 250 seems to have a pretty high resale value as well, so I'm sure i could probably sell if for what i paid this year if i keep it in good shape.

The 250 will be fine but IMO you seem prety level headed so I would go for the cruiser.

I dont think you'll gain anything on the 250 that you cant take your time on the Vulcan to figure out.

If your goal is to be riding a cruiser then seriously I dont think you'll benefit from the 250. Sure it wont hurt, you'll learn some of the basic stuff man but it's not like you plan on tracking the bike and looking to go down the full SS line so I wouldnt worry about it and just get the cruiser.

If you really just want to take a year to learn stuff, then screw the 250 and find a real POS off kijiji and learn to slow turn and practise in parking lots as much as you can and get the feel of how motorcycles behave and keep saving your money to get the cruiser the year after.

Get soemthing like this for your first summer man and you'll be all set. Give it to your wife or girlfriend the year after

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ179699393
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Hey,

I am 6'4" tall and 190lbs. I picked up my first bike last year, a 2003 Kawi ZX6R 636. I got alot of negative feedback from people about it not being a good starter bike. But regardless of what people thought about the purchase, the bike was very comfortable for me. I spent 6 hours on it one night back in july. From 10 at night until 4 am. Went from waterloo to vaughn and back through the back roads with some friends, and my wrists only started to give me a slight bit of discomfort with an hour or so left in the ride. Pretty good considering the agressive seating position of the ninja.

You hear alot about people not wanting to spend money on a 250cc bike because they will grow out of it fast, and at the same time the bike is depreciating, so why not put the money towards something you really want. Well for me, I was riding a 650 burgman (my dads bike) for a couple summers. I felt as though I could handle the 636. I put on 7,000km last summer, and so far so good. I absolutely love the bike. Its the first year of fuel injected for the 636, and you can pick one up for under $5500 with good km. I have seen some go for $4000-4500 with about 25,000km on them.

When you consider a CBR 125 retails for $3600 out the door new, for the added $1000 you can have a bike you will ride for years.

That is just my opinion based on my experience with my Kawi. It is one amazing machine. And the look on the faces of my friends riding 600cc bikes when the zx6r makes them look like they are standing still is priceless!

Cheers!
    Good luck with the search.

Quote Originally Posted by fly kid View Post
    im 6'1 230 lbs.....I like sportbikes, and the 250 fits me fine. but you need to adjust the spring preload once you get the bike.....the original setting is for a 150lb person.
    Quote Originally Posted by markd6 View Post
    I am 6'1 and 185 lbs. I started and still am riding my 07 ninja 250. Yes I look a little big for the bike but I love the bike. I could care less about other people's opinions of what I look like because the most important thing to me is what I think and how I feel riding the bike.

I am only 18 right now.
    (...)
    To the OP; keep in mind these guys are just kids. If you're a little older and try and fit yourself onto a bike that's even just a little too small, you probably won't endure very long.

Nothing wrong with starting with a bigger bike, you just need more discipline and don't expect to climb the learning curve as quickly as on a small bike. I'm tall and got the sport-tourer I wanted from the start. No regrets here.
    There is no planet B.

Wink Re: 6'2" new rider looking for a sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Hey,
    I am 6'4" tall and 190lbs. I picked up my first bike last year, a 2003 Kawi ZX6R 636. I got alot of negative feedback from people about it not being a good starter bike. But regardless of what people thought about the purchase, the bike was very comfortable for me. I spent 6 hours on it one night back in july. From 10 at night until 4 am. Went from waterloo to vaughn and back through the back roads with some friends, and my wrists only started to give me a slight bit of discomfort with an hour or so left in the ride. Pretty good considering the agressive seating position of the ninja.
    You hear alot about people not wanting to spend money on a 250cc bike because they will grow out of it fast, and at the same time the bike is depreciating, so why not put the money towards something you really want. Well for me, I was riding a 650 burgman (my dads bike) for a couple summers. I felt as though I could handle the 636. I put on 7,000km last summer, and so far so good. I absolutely love the bike. Its the first year of fuel injected for the 636, and you can pick one up for under $5500 with good km. I have seen some go for $4000-4500 with about 25,000km on them.
    When you consider a CBR 125 retails for $3600 out the door new, for the added $1000 you can have a bike you will ride for years.
    That is just my opinion based on my experience with my Kawi. It is one amazing machine. And the look on the faces of my friends riding 600cc bikes when the zx6r makes them look like they are standing still is priceless!
    Cheers!
    Kawi 636 eh? Heheh...
    They are not so easy to find, but yes great bike.
    Nina the StunterGirl (works part-time at Kahuna) has been looking for one for like a year and a half now...
    There are always lots of used 600 sportbikes though, they are available but rarely found for less than about $4000 bucks,
    L8R
    Old Ninja, runs good.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFrEnChGuY View Post
    The 250 will be fine but IMO you seem prety level headed so I would go for the cruiser.

I dont think you'll gain anything on the 250 that you cant take your time on the Vulcan to figure out.

If your goal is to be riding a cruiser then seriously I dont think you'll benefit from the 250. Sure it wont hurt, you'll learn some of the basic stuff man but it's not like you plan on tracking the bike and looking to go down the full SS line so I wouldnt worry about it and just get the cruiser.

If you really just want to take a year to learn stuff, then screw the 250 and find a real POS off kijiji and learn to slow turn and practise in parking lots as much as you can and get the feel of how motorcycles behave and keep saving your money to get the cruiser the year after.

Get soemthing like this for your first summer man and you'll be all set. Give it to your wife or girlfriend the year after

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ179699393
    I like the way you think. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Hey,

Cheers!
    I agree. You get a lot of different opinons on which starter bike to go with. I guess it really depends on your age/maturity if you're going to start off with any bike over 600cc. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by ckoolmike View Post
    I agree. You get a lot of different opinons on which starter bike to go with. I guess it really depends on your age/maturity if you're going to start off with any bike over 600cc. Thanks for your help.
    The misconception with younger less open minded riders is they forget that even a scooter can get you in all sorts of dead if your not careful.
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Im 6'5" and 230. I went out and got a gsxr 600 and haven't looked back.
    I just turned 22

Quote Originally Posted by badingbap View Post
    Im 6'5" and 230. I went out and got a gsxr 600 and haven't looked back.
    I just turned 22
    Wow. Even *I* felt cramped on a gixxer, and I have a 27" inseam.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Its odd how your hieght changed 3" from topic title to message body
    Vivere est vincere

If you want a cruiser then there is no reason not to start with a cruiser. My first bike was a little Suzuki Savage (big single, 650) and I enjoyed it for a couple of years- never dropped it- no accidents.

A guy I work with started on a CBR 125R. He's 6'6" and about 245 and rode it for a full season. It was CRAZY looking but he did it to gain some seat time before moving up to his current ride, an 08 Varadero.
    "I no like ride street becaz of all d fackin ideeot"
    Valentino Rossi - Faster

I am 6'4, 230lbs. I decided to get my sportbike but not go crazy and get something that will hurt me. The SV650 is a great choice for fun, and learning. You will love it and keep it for a long time. People who get them love them.

If you want the cruiser get it, if you think the sportbike will help then do that. They are different feels yes, but still can get basic maneuvers learned on one or the other.

Do whatever you feel is the best option. In the end you are riding, not anyone else.
    Cheers 'n Beers,
    Haz

Pilot, Photographer, Volleyball player and now Rider...
    Current Ride: '09 Suzuki SV650SA ABS
    Free Sempire!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pilothaz View Post
    I am 6'4, 230lbs. I decided to get my sportbike but not go crazy and get something that will hurt me. The SV650 is a great choice for fun, and learning. You will love it and keep it for a long time. People who get them love them.

If you want the cruiser get it, if you think the sportbike will help then do that. They are different feels yes, but still can get basic maneuvers learned on one or the other.

Do whatever you feel is the best option. In the end you are riding, not anyone else.
    Enough with the corny wisdom, you're not pulling it off. Stick to jokes, that's your forte.
    There is no planet B.

Here's something different - get a supermoto. Good for tall guys. Even though I'm not one!

I agree with many others on here about being cautious with your first bike. Better to learn on something a little less powerful (and probably cheaper to insure).

Buy what you want but be careful.

Hey guys....just to let you know

I picked up a 2009 Blk 250R ninja
    2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R in Metallic Diablo Black - Yoshimura slip-on, HID 6000k, OEM seat cowl, Shogun frame sliders, wheeltape, Progrip tank pad