Anyone here own a Honda Pacific Coast?

Thread: Anyone here own a Honda Pacific Coast?

Anyone here own a Honda Pacific Coast?

I've always liked the bike, and I'm getting a steal of a deal off a buddy who just needs to get rid of it. It needs a little work, but it's in good shape and def ridable.

I've been doing a little reading and there are some quirks with this particular model ('89) that I need to ask him about, but for the price, I'm getting this bike.

Should be a nice ride for the longer rides when the CBR would just be too uncomfortable.

Re: Anyone here own a Honda Pacific Coast?

Although I liked the enclosed look when it first appearded many didn't and it sold for only a few years in NA. but the bike had a much longer run in Europe.

You probably already learned as much but that's all I can offer
    ride - if you want to

Actually, it was discontinued in the US for 3 years, but went back into production for a few years (95-99, I think). There are quite a few around, and from what I've been reading, this bike is one of the most rock solid, dependable bikes out there with a minimal amount of maintenance.

I remember someone on here used to own one, maybe Wingboy? I hear that any kind of maintenance requires a lot of disassembly due to all the bodywork the bike has.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

There is a guy who parks on Mercer who owns two. He rides it everyday, as long as there is no ice or rain on the streets. If you wait till spring I am sure he will be glad to talk to anyone about his bikes.
    Bishop
    ex - Red '96 GS500e
    now - Dark '09 696 Now with Red parts

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    I remember someone on here used to own one, maybe Wingboy? I hear that any kind of maintenance requires a lot of disassembly due to all the bodywork the bike has.

It was Goldwinger who got rid of his 'Wing and get a Pacific Coast. I don't think he is on here anymore unless he has changed his alias.
    "It's water over the bridge" ? What smoke are you cracking?!

if im not mistaken you have to remove 11 peices of body work to get the battery out

Here's a link to everything Pacific Coast.

http://www.directcon.net/lcshepp/PC800LinkList.html

It was always a bit of a niche bike. You likely love it or hate it.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70

Cult bike with grear resale. Used, they fetch more money than ST1100's of the same age, even though the ST is way more bike.

BTW-If you don't end up buying the PC, pls PM me contact info-My dad wants one really bad.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I already sent the check! Since he's a good friend who's selling it mostly because he's cash strapped at the moment, I sent a few hundred extra for 'storage fees'. He'll keep in the garage for me until late Feb/Early March, and I'll go pick it up (it's about a 3 hour drive from here).

I bluebooked it and looked up selling prices on ebay, and similar bikes are going for about twice what he's asking. No worries there. I think I'll really enjoy it....now I'm just looking for all the ice to melt.

I do own a Honda, and yes, I am on the Pacific Coast.........I can understand why you'd ask........it's a wonderful place to be, for riding..........

Have a look at the ride report that was posted by this PC owner. One of the funniest damned things I've ever seen.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265019
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    Have a look at the ride report that was posted by this PC owner. One of the funniest damned things I've ever seen.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265019
    One of the best written blogs I've ever come across. Thanks,

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

Ok, this was a bit odd.
    I called my insurance company (Progressive) to get a quote on the PC800.

Turns out, with the multi-bike discount for now having 3 bikes, they owe me $36!!
    So basically, they are paying me to insure the PC800 through them. I mentioned I took the MSF class again last summer, and they knocked another $21 off.
    Some days it does pay to be old!

Damn you for not living in Ontario!
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

There are PC800 discussions on the www.st-owners.com if i am not mistaken.
    Congrats on the new ride.
    ...and yeah, clearly you're not in Ontario with those kind of insurance breaks.

~steven - south central 'ssauga

I got a list of the aftermarket items that have been installed:

1. Powder-coated brackets that allow one to mount road pegs on the front crash guards, never installed.
    2. New Electrex stator in 2003, a higher output one than stock.
    3. New stock voltage rectifier in 2002, both of these were common problems on the 1989 Honda PC800.
    4. PC Glovebox, a cordura nylon bag that mounts between the handlebars. It was custom made by a Yahoo!Groups iPCRC member, as were the road peg brackets.
    5. New Rifle windscreen on it last year.
    6. LED Voltage Meter.
    7. Motorcycle clock.
    8. Fog lights mounted under fairing above fender, work well, add perfect mid-range and side of road lighting, with switch on handlebar directly above dimmer switch.

2,3, and 5 are the items I was looking at upgrading first. He also put a new Carbin saddle on it last summer that's worth half of what I'm buying the bike for if he sold it separately.

I think the only things I want are heated grips and a cruise control.

Got the PC800 home today and in the garage! Man, what a difference riding that for 3 hours compared to the CBR.

She's no sportbike, but I wasn't sore after the3 hour ride home, either.

Last edited by Worldtraveller; 02-14-2010 at 05:05 PM.