Track it or not?

Thread: Track it or not?

Track it or not?

At the beginning of December I got a great deal on a 2000 RC51. It only has 12K KM on it and is in excellent condition. For the most part it is stock except for a PC2, Arata Ti pipes and SS brake lines. My initial plan was to ride it in the spring and decide whether I will keep it and sell my VFR or flip it. My intention for a second bike was to get a strictly track bike but I could not pass this up. I am not looking to do any competitive racing...just to get a few track days in next summer. Would I be better off selling a bike (RC51 or VFR) to buy a track ready 600 or should I just get some frame sliders and track plastic and use the RC51?

Re: Track it or not?

If I could do it all over again I would have sold my street bike and bought a track/race ready 600. I wiped it out in street trim then ended up outfitting it anyway with all the track goodies and spending a ******** more than just buying a track bike. Just my experience
    Last edited by kellen; 01-04-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akabek View Post
    At the beginning of December I got a great deal on a 2000 RC51. It only has 12K KM on it and is in excellent condition. For the most part it is stock except for a PC2, Arata Ti pipes and SS brake lines. My initial plan was to ride it in the spring and decide whether I will keep it and sell my VFR or flip it. My intention for a second bike was to get a strictly track bike but I could not pass this up. I am not looking to do any competitive racing...just to get a few track days in next summer. Would I be better off selling a bike (RC51 or VFR) to buy a track ready 600 or should I just get some frame sliders and track plastic and use the RC51?
    The good thing about the RC is that its a blast to ride around the track and looks awesome.

The bad thing about the RC is that it's heavy and spare parts will be hard to come by. If on the other hand you were to sell that RC, and pick up a track ready R6 or GSXR600 (whatever, they're all good) you'll get the benefit of a lighter more advanced bike plus it's a lot easier to get used track goodies for a newer 600 on the cheap.

Hey bud

Good to see you looking into track riding. Great bike but i agree with caboose.
    ~~I rather be riding my bike & thinkin of GOD than sitting in Gurdwara thinkin of my bike!!

03 SV1000s
    02 SV650s
    02 SV650s project - LF: any parts. PM pls. Thnx!
    Sold 2001 Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    The good thing about the RC is that its a blast to ride around the track and looks awesome.

The bad thing about the RC is that it's heavy and spare parts will be hard to come by. If on the other hand you were to sell that RC, and pick up a track ready R6 or GSXR600 (whatever, they're all good) you'll get the benefit of a lighter more advanced bike plus it's a lot easier to get used track goodies for a newer 600 on the cheap.
    I'd further recommend renting and testing a 600 at the track before selling your 1000cc beloved steed, to make sure you enjoy riding the lower displacement machine.

Unfortunately, breaking even on a bike in this market, in Ontario is difficult for many, and usually results in an at-loss transaction. It would be even worse to lose money to be getting onto a machine you are not having as much fun on as your old girl.

What tracks do you plan to ride? This would be a big factor for me if you only plan to do trackdays. If you plan to go to Shannonville Long track and Mosport the 1000 would be fun. If you plan to go to TMP. 600 is a good direction.

I have a blast with my 600 and don't regret moving to it from a R1 track bike. I went a lot faster on the 600 then I ever did on the 1000!
    Pro # 175

Thanks to my Sponsors: Racer5, SpeedWorx, SpeedGear, Kawasaki Canada,
    Uber-Racing, Pirelli/ Orion Motorsports, Kahuna Powersports, Armour Bodies, WoodCraft, MotoVan, Vortex, TechSpec, Sidi & PitBull

I live North of Toronto so for the most part I am in the middle of Shannonville, Mosport and Cayuga. I have never been on a track so I will want to try them all. May/June time frame I plan to go to Turn2 for a couple of days on the track to get me started.

I bought the RC51 in December so I only had the chance to ride it around the block. The VFR is really comfortable but there is something about the RC. They are not rare but less common which I like. Chances are I will get a track ready 600 in the spring which means I will either have to sell the RC51 or the VFR. I guess the question is do I want comfort or sport? Most of my riding is on 80KM country roads so the RC51 may be OK.

Thumbs up Re: Track it or not?

........Any current (2006 and up) 600cc sport bike that is track or race prepped is going to be a ton more fun, RC51's are great bikes (just ask NICKEY HAYDEN #69..........) 600 sport bike is a better long term move.......... (but remember, you get what you pay for) BG

the rc51 in my opinion would be a more FUN bike to ride- the 600's make more sense though.