Full Electric Insanity! Super pocket bike build.

Thread: Full Electric Insanity! Super pocket bike build.

Full Electric Insanity! Super pocket bike build.

The Suzuki project bike is on hold until it warm up. Its too friggin cold to work out in the non heated garage.

New project! This was a total impulse but but its cool. I bought a 36V electric super pocket bike ( I would never fit on the small pockets). It worked kinda when I bought it but the wiring was a mess, the speed controlled was rattling around on top of the batteries and was just not put together well. Stripped everythign down, rewired it, and now it works a bit better. Sock motor is a 500W 36V 40A setup good for about 30 km/h nominal, 40 km/hr at best is you weigh 50 lbs like my son. The frame is all steel sturdy and heavy. Fairings are plastic and i fear the first time I drop it. It has working turn signals, head light, tail lights, horn, speedometer, and voltage gauge (battery level).

Therefore; its not broken, so lets fix it.

New setup:

Motor: Turnigy 80-100 7000W 130A motor. ( R/C Helicopter motor)
    Controller: 160A Castle Creations Phoenix using Servo Tester (Pot to ESC - remember no R/C controller here)
    Batteries: Four Odyssey PC545 Sealed Lead Acid in Series @ 48V
    Estimated top speed: 45 MPH
    Estimated Milage: 16 km to 60% battery life left. > need to recharge.
    Additional: Change incandescent lighting system to LED, maybe some rattle can paint.

The motor is ordered; unfortunately its back-ordered.

The Super mini

HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR
    Project 2: "Full Electric 6500W Super pocket Bike" Fried conroller, replacment OTW!

Re: Full Electric Insanity! Super pocket bike build.

Whats with the fat, square tires?
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Hmm.. wondering if i could do something similar with the guts of these..

http://www.cartest.ca/simple_start_vehicle_battery.htm

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...1244d19afa.pdf

Got a half a skid of the things sitting at work (mebbie 24 pcs or so) BNIB.. wonder if it's worthwhile?

Good luck with the project!
    '99 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - '88 Hannigan Comet chair

Quote Originally Posted by Spizzak View Post
    Whats with the fat, square tires?
    The tires were low on air. The round now that they have the proper 20 PSI in them.
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR
    Project 2: "Full Electric 6500W Super pocket Bike" Fried conroller, replacment OTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Bill View Post
    Hmm.. wondering if i could do something similar with the guts of these..

http://www.cartest.ca/simple_start_vehicle_battery.htm

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...1244d19afa.pdf

Got a half a skid of the things sitting at work (mebbie 24 pcs or so) BNIB.. wonder if it's worthwhile?

Good luck with the project!
    The batteries would work but you would need to run some in parallel because the amp hours (A/h) are a little low. it would work great if you could rig them up to work off of the 12V outlet, run 4 in series, and 4 in parallel. The charges would already be built in.
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR

The speed controller is now switched to a Turnigy 200A Brushless controller. I plan on going full A123 cells and this controller can handle 12 cells (or about 52V)
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR

I'm not very knowledgable on electric systems but couldn't you save a ton of wieght on that thing by going to a LiPo battery set up. I know they a much more expensive but the wieght savings and packaging size I think would be very worth it.
    Table's they turn sometimes....Payback is a you know what)...

Red face Re: Full Electric Insanity! Super pocket bike build.

Quote Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
    I'm not very knowledgable on electric systems but couldn't you save a ton of wieght on that thing by going to a LiPo battery set up. I know they a much more expensive but the wieght savings and packaging size I think would be very worth it.

li-ion (A123) are more powerfel than li-poly but are also more dangerous. There almost the same battery but you must be very careful not to discharge the A123's too low or they catch fire. The BESC (brushless electric speed controller) I chose has a programmable high and low voltage shutoff limit to prevent this. I have enough cells to make 2 pack right now and I plan on obtaining more as funds become available. The biggest issue is having to buy special chargers to charge lte lipo/li-ion. Its not just the cost of the batteries, its batteries and 4 chargers. I need 4 charges because I want to charge them all at once.

You thinking is very correct. Lipo weighs about 1/3 of Lead acid. I plan on switching depending on how the lead acid works out.
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR