Planning to buy a bike, can you help?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning to buy a bike, can you help?

Planning to buy a bike, can you help?

Hey guys.. well i have ridden some of my friends bikes so i know the basics of riding. I am planning to purchase a bike for arround 3500 in toronto and wanted your guys oppinion. My fav bike by far is a Yamaha R1. I have done some reasearch on the bikes being sold and found a few. I want to ask you guys if you think these are worth it, some oppinions, some sugestions if you may. Here is the first link

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ174761954

and a second..

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ167719162

are either of these bikes worth it? a good buy? and what not. never had a bike and want 1. so your oppinions would be very appreciated. Thankyou

Re: Planning to buy a bike, can you help?

Is this a joke?

If not, just refer to this thread:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=105989

Guess I haven't answered either of your questions. Sorry, I couldn't help.
    "Never lean to steer. Always steer to lean." - source: unknown.

no its not a joke.. i really wanna get a new bike and was wondering what you guys think..

An R1 for your first bike? You should look into life insurance as well.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

well.. iv ridden drit bikes that my boys had.. and i rode 1 R6.. not fast or nething but on the street. just wonderin are those bikes that i posted worth the money?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostShadow View Post
    well.. iv ridden drit bikes that my boys had.. and i rode 1 R6.. not fast or nething but on the street. just wonderin are those bikes that i posted worth the money?
    No. They are not. Not for you anyways.

A 1000cc sportbike is NOTHING like a dirtbike. An R6 is nothing like a 1000cc sport bike. It is one thing to putt-along with a bike on the street but it takes about a millisecond to find yourself going waaay to fast on a sportbike 600cc/750cc/1000cc+ and when your new to riding you won't know how to handle the situation. Unless you plan on riding it like the worlds most timid person for the rest of your life and not developing good riding skills, I personally think that a 1000cc bike is insanity and overkill.

Read this:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=42129

PS, I think this is a troll post so I'm not going to help you out any more then that. Atleast, I hope it is.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

This one is a pretty good deal.

The other one has a replacement motor, not a good sign.

I personally don't care if this is your first street bike, none of my business so I'm not preaching. But be prepared for insurance that will cost more than the price of your bike.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    This one is a pretty good deal.

The other one has a replacement motor, not a good sign.
    +1 (and besides the replacement motor, he has trashed the fairings and bought replacements but upon realizing that ebay fairings suck, he never fitted them.)

The 2nd one... hard to say without listenning to it in person.

Let me know when you get it and write it off!

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

thankyou for actually replying.. so the second bike is a decent deal. depending on how it rides.. is 40000k alot for a bike to have? and is 3000 to 3500 realistic for an R1?

Hey guys.. well i have ridden some of my friends bikes so i know the basics of riding. I am planning to purchase a bike for arround 3500 in toronto and wanted your guys oppinion. My fav bike by far is a Yamaha R1. I have done some reasearch on the bikes being sold and found a few. I want to ask you guys if you think these are worth it, some oppinions, some sugestions if you may. Here is the first link

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ174761954

and a second..

are either of these bikes worth it? a good buy? and what not. never had a bike and want 1. so your oppinions would be very appreciated. Thankyou
    Just to give you some perspective of what you've walked into here.

There are often posts like yours from newbies who are looking for a top-end supersport bike as their first bike (always seems to be an R1 too for some reason?) These bikes can be very dangerous to an enthusiastic rider who doesn't also have a great deal of self-discipline, so the advice they get is to stay away from all supersports to begin with. Now it's not always the right advice for everybody but it is based on good reasoning and good intentions.

The thing is, because posts like this are so common they tend to raise the skepticism of forum members as to the authenticity of your question (like maybe you're a troll), so you can expect to get a bit of a hard time in some of these replies. And even those who don't rag on you are likely to get preachy about your choice of bikes.

Since you're the one who came out and asked for advice from stangers on a public forum it's probably best to suck up your pride and listen, and if you hear anything helpful then great, and if not then feel free to ignore anything that is said to you, at your own risk.

Welcome to GTAM.
    There is no planet B.

That price is very good for that bike. The mileage isn't an issue if it has been maintained properly.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    There are often posts like yours from newbies who are looking for a top-end supersport bike as their first bike (always seems to be an R1 too for some reason?)
    funny thing. first bike I ever wanted was a raven R1 as well. it was the sexiest bike ive ever seen.

but now I just collect forks.

dibs on the forks.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
    funny thing. first bike I ever wanted was a raven R1 as well. it was the sexiest bike ive ever seen.

dibs on the forks.

It's because of that song.. 'Stuntin Like my Daddy'! I swear! youtube that stuff. Lol

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

well you are right.. but like. iv ridden dirt bikes. and one R6. and i do have the self discipline not 2 b a fkn idiot at first untill i actually get a feel for the bike and learn 2 ride it properly. i unerstand all. i dont know why i love R1, its just a sexi bike imo, so thats y i want it, if imma spend money on a bike, it might aswell b a good 1. the thign is, this isnt a troll post, and i really do want an R1, and if that bike is worth the 3500 imma buy it in the next week, so i jsut wanted 2 know if its worth it, i know u guys think im an idiot for gettin a 1000cc bike as a starter, but like i started driving on a manual car, on a Lancer Evo none the less, so my reasoning is learn on the best, so i dont have to waste money. I have the brains not to go all out on the bike untill i know how to ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post

dibs on the forks.
    I want the rear shock
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    I want the rear shock
    Oh you DO .. do you? muhahaha ..
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

well you are right.. but like. iv ridden dirt bikes. and one R6. and i do have the self discipline not 2 b a fkn idiot at first untill i actually get a feel for the bike and learn 2 ride it properly. i unerstand all. i dont know why i love R1, its just a sexi bike imo, so thats y i want it, if imma spend money on a bike, it might aswell b a good 1. the thign is, this isnt a troll post, and i really do want an R1, and if that bike is worth the 3500 imma buy it in the next week, so i jsut wanted 2 know if its worth it, i know u guys think im an idiot for gettin a 1000cc bike as a starter, but like i started driving on a manual car, on a Lancer Evo none the less, so my reasoning is learn on the best, so i dont have to waste money. I have the brains not to go all out on the bike untill i know how to ride it.
    A lot of new and prospective riders use the defense that they started out driving in a fast car (EVO's, Skylines, Turbo this, Supercharger that..) but by the very nature of only having 2 contact patches vs 4, things are very different. If you find yourself going to fast in a car you can just slam on the brakes and let the ABS and everything else kick in. The car will stop. Even if it doesn't, you probably have airbags and a seatbelt to help you out. On an R1, which has the power to weight ratio that would DESTROY your Evo in any situation.. it is very possible to be going much to quick for you to react in a calm and reasonable manner. If you slam on the brakes REALLY hard of most 1000cc sportbikes you can actually flip the bike. I've witnessed first hand what inexperience and a 1000cc bike can do. I saw a crash @ 150km/h that left two of my very good friends in the hospital.
    Infact, over the past 5 years that I've been riding, I have seen multiple crashes every year. Thankfully no fatalities yet.
    I do not agree with people riding anything larger then a 600cc to start.
    Even then, a 600cc is a little bit much.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

and i really do want an R1, and if that bike is worth the 3500 imma buy it in the next week,
    Do yourself a huge favour and do not buy any bike until you have insurance quotes a head of time.

on his sig he's only 20 years old. That going to be close to $10,000 a year for insurance!!! (Just a guess??) DAMM
    All joking a side.........nice bike!!