Jim Kenzie is at it again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Kenzie is at it again

Jim Kenzie is at it again

I love this guy...nice way to kick off 2010

http://www.wheels.ca/Columns/article/783601

The OPP and a law twice-tossed

Jan 02, 2010

Has the Ontario Provincial Police not heard that in our judicial system the legislature passes laws, the courts (if they so choose) rule on their constitutionality, and the police – supposedly, servants to the legislature, the courts and the people – enforce them accordingly?

Not, apparently, these days.

Justice Peter West ruled recently in a Newmarket court that Ontario's stunt driving law, which automatically imposes various levels of punishment on anyone accused of violating it (not convicted; only accused) is unconstitutional.

As the Star reported, West ruled that an accused driver's Charter rights are "clearly infringed" by potential jail time because this law, as it exists, doesn't permit the person to put forward a defence.

He described the law as an "absolute liability," which means those accused can't argue they took precautions or they didn't realize how fast they were driving.

A street-racing charge automatically leads to a conviction, which can carry a minimum fine of $2,000, immediate suspension and vehicle impoundment, and a maximum jail sentence of six months.

West really had no choice but to toss this law. The Charter of Rights, part of our Constitution, is quite clear: you cannot face a charge that can lead to jail without having the ability to defend yourself.

Would you want it any other way?

The way this law is written, the police officer lays the charge, passes judgement and metes out the punishment, all with you having no chance to state your defence, and that my friends is just not on.

Inspector David Ross has said the OPP will continue to lay charges and impound cars, in defiance of the Constitution, because, as he told the Star: "It has been an effective tool in combatting speeding and reducing collisions and deaths on the highway."

What the hell?

We shouldn't be surprised, because that was the police's reaction when Justice Geoffrey Griffin ruled likewise in a Napanee court this past September.

The attorney general's office has appealed Justice West's ruling and it will go to Court of Appeal this month.

The OPP didn't like either ruling, so its officers are ignoring them. So far, more than 15,000 Ontario drivers have been charged, almost all with exceeding 50 km/h over the posted limit.

I repeat, and I wish I had a bigger type face: WHAT THE HELL?

Who's in charge here? Sadly, I guess we know.

Too many people are buying the OPP's spurious statistic that traffic deaths have dropped since the "stunt driving" law was passed.

Nonsense.

First, traffic deaths on a vehicle-per-kilometre-travelled basis have been dropping more or less continually for 70 years. This recent drop is, to at least some degree, part of an ongoing trend.

We would need more data — much more than the one year's worth of data for this law so far — to determine how large that degree is.

Second, supporters are failing to differentiate between correlation and causality. Just because two events coincide, doesn't mean one caused the other. The classic case is the correlation between high-fashion female skirt length and the stock market.

The number of traffic deaths is affected by a large number of factors, including — and this is a big one, according to several studies — economic downturns.

Anyone seen one of those around here recently?

Third, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation's own statistics show that a fast-shrinking percentage of fatal car crashes occur at ultra-high speeds.

Yeah, they are spectacular when they happen, but nailing these high-fliers just doesn't have the potential to reduce high-speed fatal crashes very much because there just aren't very many of them.

In fact, by any statistical measure, our safest roads are always our fastest roads: the 400-series highways.

Speed kills? No, it does not.

Simple as that.

The worst thing though is: even if this law did save lives, are we prepared to give up our Constitution for it?

The police have all sorts of laws to charge speeders, tail-gaters, lane-changers, impaired drivers and seat belt refusniks (the latter two being the only issues that really show up as statistically important).

And now, even hand-held cell-phoners and texters.

This so-called stunt driving law ("so-called" because it has nothing at all to do with "stunt driving" or "street racing," neither of which has any place on our highways and for which the cops already have plenty of legislative weaponry) is simply a power grab by the World's Biggest Street Gang.

"To Serve and Protect?"

Sorry. I am beginning to have serious doubts about either.

jim@jimkenzie.com

Re: Jim Kenzie is at it again

Does he have a fan club yet?

The OPP's attitude is a travesty.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

^^ Bravo

he summed up exactly how i feel about it.

So it "saves lives" and thats the justifiable reason to take away our Constitutional rights? here we come Policed state. For the greater good Comrade!
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

very well said

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    I love this guy...nice way to kick off 2010

http://www.wheels.ca/Columns/article/783601

The OPP and a law twice-tossed

Jan 02, 2010

Has the Ontario Provincial Police not heard that in our judicial system the legislature passes laws, the courts (if they so choose) rule on their constitutionality, and the police – supposedly, servants to the legislature, the courts and the people – enforce them accordingly?

Not, apparently, these days.

Justice Peter West ruled recently in a Newmarket court that Ontario's stunt driving law, which automatically imposes various levels of punishment on anyone accused of violating it (not convicted; only accused) is unconstitutional.

As the Star reported, West ruled that an accused driver's Charter rights are "clearly infringed" by potential jail time because this law, as it exists, doesn't permit the person to put forward a defence.

He described the law as an "absolute liability," which means those accused can't argue they took precautions or they didn't realize how fast they were driving.

A street-racing charge automatically leads to a conviction, which can carry a minimum fine of $2,000, immediate suspension and vehicle impoundment, and a maximum jail sentence of six months.

West really had no choice but to toss this law. The Charter of Rights, part of our Constitution, is quite clear: you cannot face a charge that can lead to jail without having the ability to defend yourself.

Would you want it any other way?

The way this law is written, the police officer lays the charge, passes judgement and metes out the punishment, all with you having no chance to state your defence, and that my friends is just not on.

Inspector David Ross has said the OPP will continue to lay charges and impound cars, in defiance of the Constitution, because, as he told the Star: "It has been an effective tool in combatting speeding and reducing collisions and deaths on the highway."

What the hell?

We shouldn't be surprised, because that was the police's reaction when Justice Geoffrey Griffin ruled likewise in a Napanee court this past September.

The attorney general's office has appealed Justice West's ruling and it will go to Court of Appeal this month.

The OPP didn't like either ruling, so its officers are ignoring them. So far, more than 15,000 Ontario drivers have been charged, almost all with exceeding 50 km/h over the posted limit.

I repeat, and I wish I had a bigger type face: WHAT THE HELL?

Who's in charge here? Sadly, I guess we know.

Too many people are buying the OPP's spurious statistic that traffic deaths have dropped since the "stunt driving" law was passed.

Nonsense.

First, traffic deaths on a vehicle-per-kilometre-travelled basis have been dropping more or less continually for 70 years. This recent drop is, to at least some degree, part of an ongoing trend.

We would need more data — much more than the one year's worth of data for this law so far — to determine how large that degree is.

Second, supporters are failing to differentiate between correlation and causality. Just because two events coincide, doesn't mean one caused the other. The classic case is the correlation between high-fashion female skirt length and the stock market.

The number of traffic deaths is affected by a large number of factors, including — and this is a big one, according to several studies — economic downturns.

Anyone seen one of those around here recently?

Third, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation's own statistics show that a fast-shrinking percentage of fatal car crashes occur at ultra-high speeds.

Yeah, they are spectacular when they happen, but nailing these high-fliers just doesn't have the potential to reduce high-speed fatal crashes very much because there just aren't very many of them.

In fact, by any statistical measure, our safest roads are always our fastest roads: the 400-series highways.

Speed kills? No, it does not.

Simple as that.

The worst thing though is: even if this law did save lives, are we prepared to give up our Constitution for it?

The police have all sorts of laws to charge speeders, tail-gaters, lane-changers, impaired drivers and seat belt refusniks (the latter two being the only issues that really show up as statistically important).

And now, even hand-held cell-phoners and texters.

This so-called stunt driving law ("so-called" because it has nothing at all to do with "stunt driving" or "street racing," neither of which has any place on our highways and for which the cops already have plenty of legislative weaponry) is simply a power grab by the World's Biggest Street Gang.

"To Serve and Protect?"

Sorry. I am beginning to have serious doubts about either.

jim@jimkenzie.com

Great article. Why isn't every "stunting" charge fought on constitutional grounds? If every one of those 15K charges resulted in constitutional challenges then maybe we would be getting somewhere?

Start submitting comments. Since Fantino's picture is in the article, a reference to his inaction regarding Caledonia might be appropriate. although it might not be approved by the moderator. Mine has not shown up yet.
    Bad Example

Can you not sue the police if they are charging you with a law that is ruled unconstitutional? Get an injunction to stop the police from using this unconstitutional law?

Too bad commenting requires an account with The Star. At least one public figure telling the truth.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

The Toronto Star article has a picture of Fantino leaning into some motorist's window. What dya think he's saying?

I'll start the responses:

1. How much have you had to drink in the last month, sir?

2. Sir, did you need a courtesy cell phone to call a family memeber to come pick up yer *** up after I have your vehicle roadside towed?

3. Did you hear the airplane overhead attempting to get a reading on your speed, sir?

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    Can you not sue the police if they are charging you with a law that is ruled unconstitutional? Get an injunction to stop the police from using this unconstitutional law?
    You would think so. Since it can be shown that the police are knowingly charging you (by thier own admission) with something that is unconstitutional and solely a scare tactic. Are'nt they in the wrong by doing this? If you must, use one or a few of the many constitutional laws already in existance........
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    He's not the only one with a personality disorder on this website. He just 'acquired' his. Others are born with theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Too bad commenting requires an account with The Star.
    just need to zing your email addy in with a password

Banned

they can do whatever they want and it wont change. people in Canada dont speak out so this lets them get away with things.

Quote Originally Posted by PaisaMed View Post
    The Toronto Star article has a picture of Fantino leaning into some motorist's window. What dya think he's saying?
    Aaahhh! You parked on my foot mother****er!!!

"Sir, I just pooped my pants, do you know why I pulled you over?"

Follow me on Twatter!

haha....how do you like my new plane you're paying for sucker

Quote Originally Posted by PaisaMed View Post

I'll start the responses:

1. How much have you had to drink in the last month, sir?

2. Sir, did you need a courtesy cell phone to call a family memeber to come pick up yer *** up after I have your vehicle roadside towed?

3. Did you hear the airplane overhead attempting to get a reading on your speed, sir?

4. You haven't been carrying a Canadian flag in Caledonia, have you?
    Bad Example

Can I smell your driver's licence please, sir.

You call this a "pull over" face, maggot!!!