Track gear - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Track gear

Re: Track gear

Not getting into the debate regarding gear but for 2010

SOAR requires 2005 Snell we will give a year grace and require 2010 next season I believe you will see thats the same at all orgs.

We do not mandate back protectors. We recommend them but not mandate. The reason for this is liability. If we mandate we take responsibility that #1 the protector you bering to tech is worn and #2 That it is up to grade. Back protectors have yet to be proven to do anything. Unike leathers , helmets, boots etc back protectors are assumed to help but never proven. Therefore by mandating and god forbid I get liable because "I" made you wear it. We encourage but do not mandate.

We only accept leather. Mainly as a racer myself I agree that when my butt is sliding down ashphalt only leather will do. Is textile better that a speedo? Sure but its not the same as leather.

Hey Guys,

I've been thinking about getting into some basic track days and attending the Turn2 ARC1 in the spring.

I basically have all the required gear... 1pc leather suit, race gauntlets, race boots and simple CE back protector.

How ever i dropped my helmet from about waist height as I was bungling around with junk in my hands at a gas stop. As soon as the helmet hit the ground I let out a big swear knowing I had probably just destroyed my helmet... but no one in the parking lot seemed to understand.

But I have to ask non the less... before i go and buy a new one... would this helmet FAIL a track safety check?

The damage is located on the very top of the helmet and the scratches are SLIGHTLY deeper then the clear coat. If I slapped a Canadian sticker over top... would anyone notice? Or would you guys suggest replacing the helmet entirely?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by binlagin; 12-30-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    2009 Ninja 250R
    Ottawa Ontario

Without seeing the helmet I can't comment conclusively.

Dropping a helmet is fine in most cases, as long as the outer shell isn't structurally damaged and there wasn't anything heavy inside it. If there was something inside it the lining may be compressed which is what absorbs the impact in an accident.

From your picture it looks like the damage is just cosmetic. Have someone experienced with helmets have a look at yours.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by akabek View Post
    Thanks for the information. I want a separate helmet for the track and I did not think my modular would cut it so I guess I will pick up a RF1100 since they are Snell 2010.
    Instead of opening a new thread i bump this one

I'm looking for a separate helmet for the track too, but i don't want to pay 400$, somebody have an idea for a cheaper helmet?

Thanks
    Hercule CC130 J Support our troop by air

Pilot without technician are just walker with cool jacket and sunglasse

RACING Because football, baseball, bowling and golf only require ONE BALL

Get a Scorpion.Do a search of this and other forums.You can't go wrong.You can get an EXO 700 from the US very cheap. http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead.com/geronimo.html
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by vince492 View Post
    Instead of opening a new thread i bump this one

I'm looking for a separate helmet for the track too, but i don't want to pay 400$, somebody have an idea for a cheaper helmet?

Thanks
    Apparently this new helmet is making alot of noises. Its cheap, safe, and Snell 2010 approved.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/hjc/cl-16/

Summary
    The new HJC CL-16 continues the HJC tradition of great value with their "bread and butter" CL-series. One of the least expensive helmets available that meets both DOT and Snell 2010 safety standards, the CL-16 is comfortable, not too heavy and has excellent visibility with an easy-to-remove face shield. It's also an excellent bargain and they will probably sell zillions!

Last edited by SunnY S; 01-11-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Get a Scorpion.Do a search of this and other forums.You can't go wrong.You can get an EXO 700 from the US very cheap. http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead.com/geronimo.html
    Hehe... that is a scorpion EXO-700! Good price and great fit
    2009 Ninja 250R
    Ottawa Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Apparently this new helmet is making alot of noises. Its cheap, safe, and Snell 2010 approved.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/hjc/cl-16/

Summary
    The new HJC CL-16 continues the HJC tradition of great value with their "bread and butter" CL-series. One of the least expensive helmets available that meets both DOT and Snell 2010 safety standards, the CL-16 is comfortable, not too heavy and has excellent visibility with an easy-to-remove face shield. It's also an excellent bargain and they will probably sell zillions!

Thanks for the links!

But, anyone can tell me where to go in Toronto area to try/buy track day equipment? I still needs boots and back protector (maybe second helmet if i have the $$$) but i never tryed anything of those equipment. A store near Belleville should be the best. I know actually Royal Distributing is doing some good rebate so I will maybe go down there to buy a pair of alpinstar smx-5 boots next week-end, if you have any other store where i can go, tell me, shopping week-end incoming near toronto!

gp bikes in ajax carries alpinestars, so give them a shout.

Thanks for the links!

But, anyone can tell me where to go in Toronto area to try/buy track day equipment? I still needs boots and back protector (maybe second helmet if i have the $$$) but i never tryed anything of those equipment. A store near Belleville should be the best. I know actually Royal Distributing is doing some good rebate so I will maybe go down there to buy a pair of alpinstar smx-5 boots next week-end, if you have any other store where i can go, tell me, shopping week-end incoming near toronto!
    1980 Yamaha SR500 (CURRENT)
    2008 Yamaha R1 (SOLD)
    2005 Honda 600rr (SOLD)

Thanks for the links!

Maybe worth the trip to Riders Choice, you may wanna look into the Dainese Axal Race boots or torque out or the Daytonas there all excellent products. I've got the Wave 3 back protector, it does the job but I think i'd go with a Knox one from Simon @ topendz.com next time.
    SOAR Novice #113

or since you're kinda half way consider a trip out to the ottawa ... what is it.. good times center?
    BUY MY BIKE!
    2007 Honda CRF 150R Big Wheel Supermoto with dirt wheels, $3600

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    or since you're kinda half way consider a trip out to the ottawa ... what is it.. good times center?
    Yep, it's the good name, but too far for me (3hours instead of 1h30 for Ajax), I will go up to GP bikes or rider choice by the end of the months