Fort McMurray

Thread: Fort McMurray

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fort McMurray

When I get back a year from now my boyfriend and I were thinking of going to Fort McMurray to work for a year or so. He is a mechanic and I will be at that point a veteran and operator of heavy machinery and other obscure skills that a 21 year old female processes.

I just want to make a lot more money in a short amount of time before I move on to the next stage of life. Scary thoughts.

Has anyone ever done this? I have heard about the cold and how crazy the hours are. Once they hear what I do that usually shuts people up and they say I'll have no issues.

What are some good jobs out there? Pro's and Con's?

Re: Fort McMurray

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    When I get back a year from now my boyfriend and I were thinking of going to Fort McMurray to work for a year or so. He is a mechanic and I will be at that point a veteran and operator of heavy machinery and other obscure skills that a 21 year old female processes.

I just want to make a lot more money in a short amount of time before I move on to the next stage of life. Scary thoughts.

Has anyone ever done this? I have heard about the cold and how crazy the hours are. Once they hear what I do that usually shuts people up and they say I'll have no issues.

What are some good jobs out there? Pro's and Con's?
    One major con I can think of is that you'll spend a large portion of the extra money you make on housing. My friends ex went out there and ended up living paycheque to paycheque because of the ridiculous costs.

not much really going on in fort mac right now. alot of people moving back home

Banned

Kudo's to you, for having a career plan, and trying to follow it..

But in all honesty, what makes you think that your BF will still be your BF in a Year from now ?

Yetti will assume he's in the same age range as you..... to remain faithfull while you're away ...

thats expecting alot from a 21 year old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by yettiman121 View Post

But in all honesty, what makes you think that your BF will still be your BF in a Year from now ?

Yetti will assume he's in the same age range as you..... to remain faithfull while you're away ...

Take a pill buddy.
    Last edited by inreb; 12-21-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Go for it. Obviously you'll do some research ahead of time to put yourself into a favourable situation. As pointed out already, you want to come home with some money, not leave it there

I haven't done the Alberta tour myself but I know a little about doing stupid hours in nuclear plants, oil refineries, hydro generating plants etc. It's a great way to get a leg up, just don't get sucked into it as a life style.

Banned

Not a good idea, you won't get anywhere. Contrary to popular belief, money doesn't grow on trees (or in holes in the ground) in Fort Mac... couple that with their retardedly high cost of living and you'll come back with nothing.

Don't even bother spending any more brain cells on this idea.

A couple of the guys who went out there to do the same thing got contracts where their living expenses were covered.

Banned

I know 2 guys who went on similar contracts (and lived in ****hole trailers, basically, while slaving away 12+ hour days) and they came back with nothing. They spent whatever they earned on bars and ******** in order to keep their sanity.

Unless you're gonna come back with a sizeable chunk of change why throw away a year of your life on that hole?
    Last edited by cutekill; 12-22-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebutler View Post
    I know 2 guys who went on similar contracts (and lived in ******** trailers, basically, while slaving away 12+ hour days) and they came back with nothing. They spent whatever they earned on bars and ******** in order to keep their sanity.

Unless you're gonna come back with a sizeable chunk of change why throw away a year of your life on that hole?
    It will be deja vu for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by yettiman121 View Post

He's 22 so I KNOW he'll be just fine

I could take that pretty bad you know. You're lucky I am well prepared because if I was insecure about our relationship, comments like that would really tick me off. Not very nice to tell a soldier already stressed about going overseas that her boyfriend is very likely to cheat on her..... thanks.

On the kinder comment about the career plan. Thanks. I try to be prepared.

What kind of heavy equipment can you operate and how much experience do you have operating ? Try to find work here, I know that good heavy equipment operators are hard to come by. I know that a lot of operators get laid off this time of year but you can make a lot of money here aswell. Especaily, if you are a union operator. Depending on the machine you operate, you can make anywhere from $25 to $35 an hour plus pension and benefits. Total package can be anywhere from $45 - $50 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    Re the BF: If he cuts and runs he wasn't the right one anyway so you win either way.
    mm... not so much. I mean, if you are good after being away from one another after a year, sure maybe it's worth it to move out there.

but don't forget, if the TWO of you budget to live together, and something happens.......... you're really, really, REALLY far away from anyone else to rely on. (just something to possibly consider) I heard of a similar situation happen to a friend's cousin & and his gf. they moved to australia for teachers college after dating since h/s ....... broke up after 4 months of being out there annd had to scramble to find new arrangements.

not saying it will, just saying it could. you can essentially only control your own actions, not his.

Quote Originally Posted by VinSter View Post
    What kind of heavy equipment can you operate and how much experience do you have operating ? Try to find work here, I know that good heavy equipment operators are hard to come by. I know that a lot of operators get laid off this time of year but you can make a lot of money here aswell. Especaily, if you are a union operator. Depending on the machine you operate, you can make anywhere from $25 to $35 an hour plus pension and benefits. Total package can be anywhere from $45 - $50 an hour.
    yeah, my buddy just told me about a kid he went to h/s with who's apparently making AMAZING cash as a crane operator in montreal. if anything, i would aim more for the calgary or edmonton area if you considered that job.

otherwise, my brother was lucky enough to move out there and live with both a family member in the calgary area when he was working on the oil rigs (although the RIDICULOUS work and hours was even too much for my 19 year old, 6'4 brother (at the time) ... so he moved up further north and stayed with another family member just past edmonton and got a job as a land surveyor. a LOT of outdoor work, but often got to travel by helicoptor, and used 4 wheelers and cool ****... he really loved it. could be something to look at. he came back with money, but like i said, he almost always had a free place to stay when he had to.
    Sup; I'm Chels.

They say there's a heaven for those who will wait --
    Some say it's better, but I say it ain't.
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints;
    the Sinners are much more fun