Good quality electric shavers?

Thread: Good quality electric shavers?

Good quality electric shavers?

I'm looking for a gift for my Dad. I want something very good.

I don't care if you use a razor and want to tell me how good they are, because my Dad has Parkinson's and can not use a razor any more. He keeps buying cheap shavers and the blades dull fast and the charges also don't last long as he takes a long time to shave each morning. If he uses a really effective shaver and it cuts his shaving time in half or less then I'm happy.

I've been looking at the Braun 360 or the Philips Arcitec 1060. The Braun is a foil type while the Philips is a 3-head type. I'm debating the differences in ease of use between the two for someone who has Parkinson's. Price difference between the 2 is about $100.

Anyone else here use a high quality electric shaver or one of the ones mentioned above or something comparable? A $100 price difference is a bit much if they are very comparable shavers in terms of quality of shave, but if the 3-head type makes for a faster/cleaner shave for him, then I will get it...

Cheers.

www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Re: Good quality electric shavers?

i have a 3 blade philips and its not the best but it works, never had the straight kind but i just think the 3 blade does a weak job.

I have almost that exact braun model.

It takes a couple weeks for your face to adjust from using a regular razor to an electric. After that the razor is quite solid. You need to replace the blades about once a year and the cleaning solution lasts a couple months.

It is not as fast as a regular razor to get as clean of a shave. But if you take your time it gets very close. If you go quick you still will look good, but it will be a little rough to the touch.

I go from looking brutal to a cleanned up stubble look in about 2 minutes. To get a close shave takes 10 -15 or longer.

according to consumer reports they say the foil type of shaver edges out the rotary type. I am also interested in buying one for myself let us know what you choose.

Had the braun, it sounded like a tractor after a few months. Using a phillips now, similar model with the cleaning system, and it kicks ***. Was free from airmiles too.

Thanks so far for the replies.

He's been using a ****** foil/straight type shaver for a while now, but told mke the other day he has to go over the same area over and over again and we just replaced the blades not to long ago. It's a cheap model, so that's why it's time for an upgrade that will last years.

evo: does the rotary Philips do a good job under the neck? Looking at the pictures of it, I was wondering how well it flexes and tilts to shave that area. My Dad has slightly limited mobility in tilting his neck as far back as most people, so that is a concern for me. Thx.

I've used both Braun and Philips systems. Both lasted me about the same and had similar results.. If his face and neck are more rounded, go with Philips. If his face is more angular, go with Braun. Other than that, just make sure it has a lithium ion battery (quick charge models) as it will charge up quicker and you'll get more of your charge. 45min charge = good battery, 3-4hr charge = crappy battery. The blades are the same. They'll last you about 2 years.
    That's coming from a guy who spent 10 years with electrics before going straight
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Has he tried using that lube powder? It's like a stick. You drag it around the stubble prior to the shave. Makes those crevices and areas he has trouble getting to, easier and quicker to get smooth. So reduces the time in those areas he has reduced mobility.

I've had better luck with rotary Philips. I did try a foil, back when Remington advertised he was so impressed he bought the company. Well he can have it. Maybe they are better now? That was about 30 years ago, but I doubt it.

Also, if he tries to shave too soon after a shower when humidity in can is high, makes for a jerky shallow shave. Or of course if sweaty prior to a shower.

I've had the Philips Arcitec for about a year.

It does an amazing job under the neck because of the way the blades can float to fit any curvature.

The blades still seem plenty sharp. I have the cleaner thing as well, but have never used it because I'd rather just rinse it under water (which is free) - and it does a fine job.

The battery lasts FOREVER on a charge. And it's neat how it tells you how many minutes you have left before the battery will die.

I'd strongly recommend this shaver to anyone - although I do feel it is greatly overpriced.
    Last edited by sportbiker_kev; 12-21-2009 at 11:00 AM.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

The Braun system (included what the Remington shavers use) performs ok and it's really dependent on your facial/neck features. I'm somewhere in between so I can use both. With electric shavers, your best bet is to have your skin dry. I had the worst shave performance on humid summer days and cleaning them out was a hassle.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Dur...I meant Panasonic, not Philips.

I wont use a rotary, I'm foil all the way.

This is the one I have, I love it, its 100x better than the braun I had previously (like the one you have pictured).

http://www.panasonic.ca/English/pers...ing/ES8109.asp

I've been using a cordless Phillips 3 head shaver for less than a year and I can't imagine what I could get that would be an improvement. Shaves fast, close, quiet, smooth, rinses under a tap and the battery lasts over a week (well, I don't shave every day). When the battery is dead I just charge it overnight or through the day, I don't know how long it actually takes and don't have any reason to care. I think it was like $60.
    There is no planet B.

I think I'm leaning towards the Arcitec. There are a few for sale for around $100...
    He only shaves dry so wet/dry isn't needed, but he does shave every morning... I'm thinking about one for myself now too...

That Panasonic does look pretty good though.

I have the Phillips Coolskin 3 head rotary shaver, and have used it for the last 4 years without changing the heads at all.
    Plus i can use this one in the shower as well.

When it first came out it was $200 + , now can be found at walmart for like $80.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

my barber uses the Philips Coolskin ones (nivea) on the back of my head and they do shave really nice. I forgot about those ones... thx.

This is more time consuming than buying my bikes...

ShaneK: I recently went through the same ordeal with my Dad.
    With all due respect, and I sincerly mean that, it's NOT the brand of the shaver in these instances.
    As someone mentioned about a pre-shave stick, my Dad used a liquid. I think it's called "'electric shave" or something.
    Near the end (my Dad's demise), my Dad's good 'ole Phillishave caved. As I was going shopping to get him a new one, my mother said: "don't spend too much on a new one" (she's cheap). We knew then end was near, so I bought the cheapest pos shaver that Cdn Tire had (to satisfy her), and I think that was on sale.
    Dad wound up getting the best shaves of his life with that thing.
    I think I paid about $20 for it on sale - exactly this time last year.
    I feel your concern, and I hope everything works out.

Merry Xmas.

I have used Braun for shaving my head (not just face) and it worked quite well. I never sounded like a tractor even after a year of intensive use. The quality of the shave was good, although it would take a few passes over the skin to get it smooth.
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Gary: Thanks for your words. His Parkinson's isn't that far advanced yet so I feel that buying a good one is appropriate for the present and also since all he has ever used is the cheapo ones. In a few years he might be in that position where it doesn't matter the brand. I thought about just buying replacement blades, but thought it would be nice to treat him to something better.

I'll look into the liquid for later on when it becomes more appropriate, but for now I justwant a nice shaver. It's good to know about the liquid too because until today I had never heard of that.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    Gary: Thanks for your words. His Parkinson's isn't that far advanced yet so I feel that buying a good one is appropriate for the present and also since all he has ever used is the cheapo ones. In a few years he might be in that position where it doesn't matter the brand. I thought about just buying replacement blades, but thought it would be nice to treat him to something better.

I'll look into the liquid for later on when it becomes more appropriate, but for now I justwant a nice shaver. It's good to know about the liquid too because until today I had never heard of that.

Cheers.
    Maybe try that pre-shave stuff now?
    This is the stuff I was referring to: (green bottle)

http://well.ca/brand/lectric-shave.html

I use a Remington Micro - Screen, and used up most of what was left from my Dad's stuff. The shaver does glide extremly smooth if you use it.

^^ thanks for the link. It seems to get mixed reviews on how effective it is but might be helpful. We'll see how he does with just the new shaver. I'm also curious about this stick some of you were mentioning... I wonder how easy it would be to apply for someone with shaky hands and limited mobility.

I just bought the Arcitec RQ1090 for him: http://www.shavercentre.com/canada/p...0_arcitec.html These things are pretty sweet and look especially awesome compared to mine which is a $20 cheapo one. I scored an awesome deal on it and couldn't pass it up.