Make your iPhone / iPod work though your gloves

Thread: Make your iPhone / iPod work though your gloves

Make your iPhone / iPod work though your gloves

I am waiting for my speed controller and electric motor to get here I decided to make another project. I ride with my iPhone and I hate not being able to switch songs or answer the phone. Here is the solution.

BTW if your looking for more cool projects you can look here http://www.instructables.com

Supplies

You will need:
    • A glove.
    • A needle.
    • 12" (30cm) of conductive thread.
    #1 Thread your needle
    You don't need a whole lot of thread, just a foot or so.

#2: Sew a few stitches in the finger of your glove.
    On the outside try to make the stitches pretty close so it only touches the screen in a smallish area (about 1/4" or 6mm in diameter.) This will help your finger touches be more accurate.

Tip: Don't make it too small! The iPhone, for example, will ignore small touch areas. If it doesn't seem to work very well, try increasing the size of the stitches on the outside.

On the inside of the finger, it's actually good for it to be messy (See #3).

3-5 stitches should be enough.

#3: Leave some extra inside the glove.
    You want to make sure the thread touches your finger or your hand on the inside, so leave some extra. Leave danging thread on your knots, etc. You might even tack a bit to the lining of the glove

#4: Repeat on other fingers (optional)
    If you use other fingers or thumbs to use your screen repeat the step on them too.

That's it!

Inside the glove

Outside

HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR
    Project 2: "Full Electric 6500W Super pocket Bike" Fried conroller, replacment OTW!

Re: Make your iPhone / iPod work though your gloves

Very cool!
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Cool. Now where do you keep this phone while you are riding. I keep mine inside my jacket so i can't really take it out very often.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickflyer View Post
    Cool. Now where do you keep this phone while you are riding. I keep mine inside my jacket so i can't really take it out very often.
    you can use a ram mount. how ever you can't use one of the water proof ones.
    x

I say some person who had a forearm mount that allowed him to press the button while riding. I am trying to find one right now. I know the people at the gym have those upper arm mounts but they all have a plastic cover which defeast the whole purpose of the project.

Oh, maybe the next project will be finding a good mount and adding 12V dc adapter for charging while riding

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Han.../dp/B001OK5RLC
    Last edited by Speedtospare; 12-22-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR
    Project 2: "Full Electric 6500W Super pocket Bike" Fried conroller, replacment OTW!

why all the excess yarn on the inside of the glove? that would annoy the hell outta me. thanks now im gunna go patent it lol

Hey guys,

You should check out my winter project at this thread here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34273

But heres a video the current state of the project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXDx_MwaPWg

I will be posting my own thread on this board soon to get some input from you guys!
    Last edited by binlagin; 12-22-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Formatting
    2009 Ninja 250R
    Ottawa Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by binlagin View Post
    Hey guys,

You should check out my winter project at this thread here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34273

But heres a video the current state of the project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXDx_MwaPWg

I will be posting my own thread on this board soon to get some input from you guys!
    The author overly complicated his power up system. There is no need for the apple charging block.

he/she could've gotten a universal cigg. lighter usb, and eliminated the power inverter (which seems to be a high power draw unit) and the apple block. The apple block reduces the 120V power to the very low amp that usb requires.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    The author overly complicated his power up system. There is no need for the apple charging block.

he/she could've gotten a universal cigg. lighter usb, and eliminated the power inverter (which seems to be a high power draw unit) and the apple block. The apple block reduces the 120V power to the very low amp that usb requires
    Yes very good point. Actually some other people suggested replacing my power inverter with a 4805 voltage regulator(http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062599)... which allowed me to convert a 12v source to 5v with a small little chip. There is a little heat generated from this.. but it is negligible powering an Arduino and iPhone.

Here is the pic: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...7&postcount=20

However with this solution and the one you suggest... you won't be able to charge your iPhone/iPod touch with only a 5v rail from a normal USB port. You will need to ground USB pins 2 and 3 with a resistor of some sort (i used 500k ohm) to enable charging on your phone. This is why I had to use the apple charging plug the first time round... it's pins where properly grounded where the power inverter wouldn't power my phone via it's USB port!

I will be posting updates to the power setup when i manage to get an hour or two to create some new graphics!
    Last edited by binlagin; 12-22-2009 at 02:40 PM.
    2009 Ninja 250R
    Ottawa Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    why all the excess yarn on the inside of the glove? that would annoy the hell outta me. thanks now im gunna go patent it lol
    You can make it neater but it need to take up that area of your finger print to work best. It basically so you done have to push you finger right into the end of the glove and to use make a connection.
    HIS - 2006 CBR 1000RR
    HERS - 2004 CBR 600RR

However with this solution and the one you suggest... you won't be able to charge your iPhone/iPod touch with only a 5v rail from a normal USB port. You will need to ground USB pins 2 and 3 with a resistor of some sort (i used 500k ohm) to enable charging on your phone. This is why I had to use the apple charging plug the first time round... it's pins where properly grounded where the power inverter wouldn't power my phone via it's USB port!
    Or, you can run a double 12v outlet mounted to your inner fairing, then you can run a Griffin Jolt + a stock Garmin car charger. Splice 2 wires and you're done. I can work my phone fine with either my A* GP Plus gloves on, as well as several different pairs of AXO Mechanicx gloves. Definitely not as well as with bare hands, but they do work good enough to change songs and answer calls.

Last edited by FullMotoJacket; 12-23-2009 at 08:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

I had a longer winded post... but my session became inactive and i lost it.

Sorry for de-railing your thread OP... I will be making my own post soon enough.

I had a very similar setup last year as FullMotoJacket but i encountered the following issues... and to solve most of them... i came up with my project :

1) ugly mounting brackets and electronics all over your gorgeous bike

2) To change songs... it's not simply a mater of reaching down and changing the song. You need to unlock the phone... and re-FOCUS your eyes to the phone... wait for the stupid little animations.. then you can hit pause. Because there is no tactile feeling... you need to LOOK where your pressing. While ripping around on a motorcycle... this always was sketchy for me and the only time i felt comfortable doing it... was at stops.

3) Audio out the top of the phone

4) The electronics are very vulnerable to the elements and physical damage

5) No external microphone

6) Two electronic devices

7) Proprietary equipment

I had a few more first time around... but they are eluding me currently.

If you have an standard USB iPod cable... you can make an iPod car charger for under 5$ with a simple 7805 circut.... instead of shelling out for the Griffin Jolt.
    2009 Ninja 250R
    Ottawa Ontario

To change songs... it's not simply a mater of reaching down and changing the song. You need to unlock the phone... and re-FOCUS your eyes to the phone... wait for the stupid little animations.. then you can hit pause. Because there is no tactile feeling... you need to LOOK where your pressing. While ripping around on a motorcycle... this always was sketchy for me and the only time i felt comfortable doing it... was at stops.
    What the hell are you doing riding with the iPod app on and the phone set to sleep? Set the sleep till never. Leave the iPod page open (that's where the constant power from the charger comes in), and set it to shuffle. If you don't like the song that comes up, hit skip. If you have problems doing that while riding, you may want to think about giving up either the iPod or riding.

Audio out the top of the phone. No external microphone
    Bluetooth headphones with the receiver in your jacket pocket, and you're good to go ( I use the Sony DR-BT100CX).

If you have an standard USB iPod cable... you can make an iPod car charger for under 5$ with a simple 7805 circut.... instead of shelling out for the Griffin Jolt.
    Or use the USB charger that frekeguy suggested at Tiger Direct for $7 and your Apple Sync cable you got with the phone, and you can plug in virtually any other device you may have to the same outlet.
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3714

picked one up for use with my iPhone while I'm snowboarding. works like a charm, just make sure to plug in the little adapter before plugging in your headphones. it's waterproof and the remote uses the little coin batteries (like what you find in dead motherboards if you're a computer tech like me :P ) I'm sure it would work just as well on a bike since you could strap it to your arm, handlebars, whatever. mind you, you won't be able to charge your phone/ipod while you ride.

I got mine offa ebay for around $30 shipped, bnib.

My system is extremely easy and took all of 8 seconds. I have my iphone on a ram mount, so I made a slit in the index finger of my leather glove. The slit is just enough to make direct contact with the screen. Because of where I made the cut, there isn't any tension ever, and it is leather, so the slit doesn't get bigger.

if you jailbreak your iphone there is actually an app on cydia to operate your iphone with gloves on that works pretty well for my when im snowboarding

Quote Originally Posted by brockmx View Post
    if you jailbreak your iphone there is actually an app on cydia to operate your iphone with gloves on that works pretty well for my when im snowboarding
    It's called the "GlovePod" if anyone is interested.

What I do is use my Zumo to work with everything It's got a built in mp3 player so I don't even use the iphone for that anymore. Also the iPhone connects to the Zumo via bluetooth so if i get an incoming call, I can simply answer it from the GPS rather then the phone. It's an expensive unit, but well worth it with all it's features including a 3-Way bluetooth (GPS > Helmet & Phone > GPS)...

Riding alone? Look my profile up for our FB link to join us for rides!