Ever been gipped by a mechanic? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ever been gipped by a mechanic?

Re: Ever been gipped by a mechanic?

What Ted at Rosey-Toes overlooked was the fact that the instrument lights never worked, nor did the neutral light. Never clued into the instrument lights for about 4 days when I rode it at night... the neutral light had me confused but hey it was my first bike so wasn't sure.

To me those are not minor things to overlook. If you can't even bother to check the lights on the bike then how would I know if anything else was checked?

Are instrument and indicator lights even covered by a certification?
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    Yeah moving the shifter is rough as hell. Every couple of weeks, it doesn't go into first (from neutral) and it does after about 6 tries, then the problem disappears for another couple of weeks. I figure it's the actual gearbox that's the problem though and I can get over this. It's just the smoothness problem that gets to me.

I looked up how to bleed the slave cylinder, but haven't tried to decipher the jargon yet...how easy is it to actually do?

The new mechanic also said that because the clutch is hydraulic, you can't really adjust it...any clue why? He also didn't say anything about bleeding it and I'll give him a call tomorrow and ask whether that might be the problem.

It's a 2 person job, pump the clutch and while 1 person is holding it down unscrew the bleeder, tighten it then repeat process

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0z3N View Post
    It's a 2 person job, pump the clutch and while 1 person is holding it down unscrew the bleeder, tighten it then repeat process
    Or one person with a 2x4 cut just right to position against the seat frame mount or other suitable location.

I bleed my own brakes this way too.

its just like bleeding your breaks, except in this case the "brake caliper" is the slave cylinder...
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    What Ted at Rosey-Toes overlooked was the fact that the instrument lights never worked, nor did the neutral light. Never clued into the instrument lights for about 4 days when I rode it at night... the neutral light had me confused but hey it was my first bike so wasn't sure.

To me those are not minor things to overlook. If you can't even bother to check the lights on the bike then how would I know if anything else was checked?
    Seems a bit critical to me. Yes, he should have checked.... in the same vein as checking for a working license plate light.

I must be getting old. I could only guess what 'gipped' meant.
    But not so old I'm losin' it cuz I guessed right. Sounds like one of those words that is super easy to over use, though..

Quote Originally Posted by thumpit View Post
    I must be getting old. I could only guess what 'gipped' meant.
    But not so old I'm losin' it cuz I guessed right. Sounds like one of those words that is super easy to over use, though..
    it's derived from the word Gypsy, as in to be conned, grifted or ripped off.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Torren..
    ya I know all about MTO bastards. They are ridiculous in the most self-righteous of ways. Over half of them finish their shift and get into their car which has more safety items faulty than the vast majority of the trucks and the owners they're so quick to hand out very real grief and lost dollars to.

I gotta believe true karma gets 'em in the end. I'd be ok if karma gets them long before then tho too..

It's the old pendulum thing. For too long, negligent O/O run poorly maintained equipment and literally did cause terrible crashes sometimes, so government steps in and dictates, but while doing so the pendulum has gained momentum on the up swing. The 'beyond' zero tolerance swing of irrationality. And a very easy self-righteous zone to be found in by the muscle.

Same thing happened with car transfer sales tax rules. We fudged things unrealistically long enough, that government stepped in with rules that more closely simulate squashing a mosquito with a carpenter's hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    it's derived from the word Gypsy, as in to be conned, grifted or ripped off.
    Ya, gotcha..but something tells me gipped, was more likely spelled gypped if it has those historical innuendoes.

I keep reading this thread title as "Ever been groped by a mechanic?"

There is (was?) one at Kahuna that I wouldn't mind getting a grope from.
    There is no planet B.

lol, the title of this thread is just plain wrong!
    Careful who you use that term around OP... Was the mechanic Romanian, or Hungarian?

Perhaps "ripped off" might be a better choice.
    Live and learn!
    Sometimes the sun makes beggars believers
    And sometimes a shrine is built to deceive her
    In between let oblivion ring
    Whoa let me hear all you sad angels sing

Appaloosa

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCrowe13 View Post
    lol, the title of this thread is just plain wrong!
    Careful who you use that term around OP... Was the mechanic Romanian, or Hungarian?

Perhaps "ripped off" might be a better choice.
    Live and learn!
    Gypsys aren't really known to work for a living, especially as qualified tradesmen. They find easier ways to jew people out of their money.

what?

I can't remember the last time I actually brought a bike with me to get it safetied.

*edit* Actually, my last safety was delivered. lol.
    Last edited by FullMotoJacket; 12-21-2009 at 07:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

Quote Originally Posted by FullMotoJacket View Post
    I can't remember the last time I actually brought a bike with me to get it safetied.

*edit* Actually, my last safety was delivered. lol.

+1

- Speed dial #8
    - "Hey dude"
    - "Hey man, what up?"
    - "Nothin, you?"
    - "Nothing"
    - "Werd, i need a safety"
    - "Coo, what's the VIN?"
    - "#####"
    - "Coo, what's the mileage?"
    - "#####"
    - "Coo, see you in a bit"
    - "Later"

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    gypsys aren't really known to work for a living, especially as qualified tradesmen. They find easier ways to jew people out of their money.

What?
    lmao!!!!
    Sometimes the sun makes beggars believers
    And sometimes a shrine is built to deceive her
    In between let oblivion ring
    Whoa let me hear all you sad angels sing

Appaloosa

Having worked as a Service Advisor and back-parts employee for sometime I have seen many many crooked techs....and a few honest ones.

I remember one tech would ALWAYS call a Motorvac and Plugs/Cap/Rotor/Wires on any car that looked like it may need it. Not very nice.

At the same show another tewch got a job to do a Full Clutch replacement (Clutch, pressure plate, machine flywheel new fluid and bleed Master) on a vehicle...I think it was a 5.0L Stang. Owner was complaning about a slipping clutch.
    Anyways.....he found something very simple wrong with the clutch system and when it was done the clutch wasn't slipping anymore and he saved the customer TONS of $$.

I don't trust techs with my car/bike.....I try and do everything myself.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

My next door neighbour's son is a service adviser for a large GM dealership.
    He was bragging about screwing the flat rate book doing recalls on the 700 transmission (they would wreck the bands). He says they do the job INFRAME.
    He couldn't fathom what I was saying when I told him he wasn't doing the job. You should have seen the dumb look on his face when I asked him where the fiber material from the band went. HE HAD NO IDEA! (It is going to end up in the torque converter, thereby screwing the torque converter... but only AFTER the thing is out of warranty).

Hey, I am all for screwing the book, BUT ya gotta get the job done.
    This idiot didn't even know what the job was.

To this day he doesn't believe my full size Chev had a 200 transmission in it, he even rolled under the car to look. (It was a 200. I put it in there myself.)

The best mechanics I know, and I know a few, do not work as mechanics.