A Goldwing, is it worth it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Goldwing, is it worth it?

A Goldwing, is it worth it?

Hey you guys.

Just a quick question. I fell love with a Goldwing, and think of getting an used (and old one)

I seen one for sale for 2500 bucks, and has 130000kms on it. Owner says it runs fine, but would it last me a riding season? I want to go on long trips with it?

Thanks for all your insights!!
    Past : 06 Virago 250; 85 GSX 750; 93 GSX-R 750; 83 Nighthawk 450
    Current project : 80 CM400

Live for what you'll die for.

Re: A Goldwing, is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinster81 View Post
    Hey you guys.

Just a quick question. I fell love with a Goldwing, and think of getting an used (and old one)

I seen one for sale for 2500 bucks, and has 130000kms on it. Owner says it runs fine, but would it last me a riding season? I want to go on long trips with it?

Nobody can answer your question without a detailed mechanical inspection. However, maybe a little more information is in order.

Is it the GL1000, GL1200, GL1500 or GL1800? What kind of cosmetic condition is it in?

What do you know about the owner? Is he the original owner? Is he a mature owner? If the bike's been owned by a bunch of different people, I'd be less inclined towards it, but if it's been owned by one mature owner, he's done a lot of touring on it (and has the stories to back it up) and he's taken care of it, it might be worth taking a chance.

Depending on what model it is, do some research on the goldwing forums. They know everything about these bikes, and could point you towards some of the shortcomings or things to look out for for your particular bike.

I have, however, seen well maintained Goldwings with over 15000 miles (not kms) on them.

As long as basic maintenance has been regularly done on it (with service records), warranty issues (if there were any that apply) have been taken care of and the bike has been cared for, then it's worth continuing to look.

However, don't buy an older bike with plans on touring with it without either a credit card to take care of the unexpected or mechanical ability, tools, and the knowhow to fix your bike on the side of the road. Because **** happens.
    Last edited by Paul; 12-18-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: language
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

As I understand it, Goldwings AVERAGE 200,000 kms before they're reitred.

I wouldn't be worried that 135k kms means its at its life's end. However, it depends on the bike. How old is it? WHat has it been used for? If those are daily commuting miles in Toronto that's a lot of kms. If those are touring miles I'd guess that's probably about average for a 6-8 year old Wing.

These bikes are not normally purchased by some young man that wants to ride the crap out of it, stunt it and mod it and red line it constantly. Usually the owners are older, often retired or with lots of time on their hands that they spend maintaining their bikes and riding them for months on end.

They're also expensive as hell to buy new. So I would think a $2500 one would be in maybe a little bit of tough shape or fairly old (25-30 years?). They've been making them since about 1976.

You should also consider the ST1100 as well. they are cheap and dead reliable. I worked on a mid 90's one earlier this summer. It ran like it just came out of the dealership.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Depends on the condition of the bike. I used to have an '83 Goldwing Interstate back in '97-2002. Ran flawlessly except had to replacing fork seals once. If they are looked after properly they are incredibly reliable machines. I would have no hesitation touring on one, as long as I knew it was in good mechanical order and had been kept that way over the years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jinster81 View Post
    Hey you guys.

It wont last if you do this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

and yea...repost ...i know..

Based on the price and mileage, I'm betting you are looking at a GL1100. My father has an 1983 GL1100A. I've riden this bike a fair bit and it's a great machine to ride. Especially for touring.
    They are dependable but as has been mentioned this is an older machine and will no doubt require some maintenance repairs at some point.

I have recently purchased a GL1200A. I will be riding it by springtime and hope that there will be some other wingriders on the forum to ride with.
    In the short time I've had it and not really rode it except on the driveway and down the sidewalk, it has a nicer seating position than the 1100.

I've also had the opportunity to ride a GL1800. It felt like an overgrown sport bike, I loved it. If I had the money for that I would own one. It had every feature available, heated seat, grips, airbag, navi, etc.

My observations is that as the wings get newer in models they feel lighter to handle. I would not hesitate to buy one if I were you. You can find some good deals out there, especially if someone had one that used to ride and can no longer handle such a large bike and it's just sitting there.

The biggest problem with them is the stators on the older bikes was an issue and it's a big job to change them. Check out the forums on the goldwing road riders association website for a list of problems and fixes. www.gwrra.org
    You can't fix stupid

I agree with oomis. Not enough info given by the OP.
    What year is the bike? What is the condition/wear of the bike and components? What options/aftermarket has been added?
    I'm guessing from the price it is an old 1980"s. There's a lot of old Wings parked outside or in someone's garage that have not run in years.
    A known issue to the older goldwings is replacement of the stator.
    I think they're a great highway touring bike, but not a "coffee shop" run bike, or a multi-purpose bike, nor would they be my choice if I had only one bike.
    Your request for info/opinons might be better directed to the Goldwing Riders Association.
    Got Torque?

goldwings can last alot longer than 200000kms. we had piles of customers with 1500's with over 300000kms on them. they are typically owned by more mature riders and are typically very well maintained. some you might say festidiously and anally. this owner group is usually one of the most informed riding groups out there in terms of knowledge of their machines.
    i am guessing that at $2500.00 it is a gl1100 as well. if you have the bike looked over and continue to maintain it properly it should give you many years of good reliable service. they are not difficult to maintain at all. we will be needing more specific info to help you any further though.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

My dad has an '83 Goldwing, and takes it for week long rides every summer. So it is in good running condition, I think it should be fine.

I think all the answers you've gotten are A+, only thing I will add is because wings usually get purchased by older mature riders they usually have disposable cash for newer machines which is why the older ones even in great shape are pretty cheap.
    I rode a GL1000 for many years that had near 300,000 on it when I last saw it, only real problem I encountered was balancing and rebuilding the carbs. It was about a grand all in but that was at 200,000k.

Hamilton (the armpit of southern Ontario)

Have it inspected by an independant mechanic. If properly maintained, its at about half its life expectancy. From the sounds of it, its probably a GL1100 or GL1200. Both excellent machines. The GL1200`s were plagued with stator problems. Apparently, there`s a cheaper fix by using a standard high output automotive unit. I would seriously consider it. I`m looking for a 1975 GL1000 naked for a project bike. Nice machines!!
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

There is a reason that the goldwing basically owns this portion of the market.
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    It wont last if you do this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

and yea...repost ...i know..

This dude can ride, that's for sure!
    would be fun to see him riding his Goldwing on the track!

Quote Originally Posted by KTM250SX View Post
    This dude can ride, that's for sure!
    would be fun to see him riding his Goldwing on the track!
    I've read elsewhere that that dude, YellowWolf, routinely puts SS riders in their place going through the Dragon. He knows the road though. Supposedly he's completed the Iron Butt (1000 miles in 24 hours) by simply going back and forth on the Dragon! Imagine, 1000 miles of nothing but twists and turns, tossing around an 800+ lb motorcycle ... what a workout!

Hamilton (the armpit of southern Ontario)

Quote Originally Posted by beverage View Post
    I've read elsewhere that that dude, YellowWolf, routinely puts SS riders in their place going through the Dragon. He knows the road though. Supposedly he's completed the Iron Butt (1000 miles in 24 hours) by simply going back and forth on the Dragon! Imagine, 1000 miles of nothing but twists and turns, tossing around an 800+ lb motorcycle ... what a workout!
    That man has skills I could only dream about! Amazing.
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Have it inspected by an independant mechanic. If properly maintained, its at about half its life expectancy. From the sounds of it, its probably a GL1100 or GL1200. Both excellent machines. The GL1200`s were plagued with stator problems. Apparently, there`s a cheaper fix by using a standard high output automotive unit. I would seriously consider it. I`m looking for a 1975 GL1000 naked for a project bike. Nice machines!!
    in the 1200's the problem is not the stator it is the coupling between the stator and the reg/rectifier. it gets loose and because typically these bikes are adorned with alot of extra lights ect it sends a false need more juice signal to the stator. this burns the stator out prematurely. the coupling needs to be removed and it should be hard wired in. so if the stator is putting out somewhere between 13.9 and 14.5 i wouldnt worry. make sure it is hard wired and ride it. take off as many of the aftermarket extra lights and crap. my brother in law is selling his gl1200 and it is in beautiful condition. if you want a price pm me and i will get it for you.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Quote Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
    in the 1200's the problem is not the stator it is the coupling between the stator and the reg/rectifier. it gets loose and because typically these bikes are adorned with alot of extra lights ect it sends a false need more juice signal to the stator. this burns the stator out prematurely. the coupling needs to be removed and it should be hard wired in. so if the stator is putting out somewhere between 13.9 and 14.5 i wouldnt worry. make sure it is hard wired and ride it. take off as many of the aftermarket extra lights and crap. my brother in law is selling his gl1200 and it is in beautiful condition. if you want a price pm me and i will get it for you.
    The stator connection is the problem but not as described. It gets loose and the stator voltage goes wild burning it out. Some also claim the oil cooling of the stator is an issue with the acids in the oil affecting the windings.

Aftermarket lights actually help the regulator rectifier stay cool by eliminating the loads it would have to shunt to the frame. They have no effect on the stator itself as the stator output is constant with engine speed and the power regulated when it hits the Reg / rec.

Adding to the problems is the number of aftermarket redesigns of the stator and reg/rec.
    The "Poorboy conversion" although it sounds a bit hacked seems to resolve the issue. Changing the staor is a engine out job.

Every bike has its weak points but if you want a generally reliable touring bike all the wings are good. My personal favourite is the 1500 for toughness but the 1800 has more zoom factor.

younger gen of gw riders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_je7r1T6ro

LOL damn it reminds of CNE. I would love to rock one of those so bad in downtown.

Really thanks for all your inputs they were so helpful. If you see a 28 year old Asian guy on a old Goldwing, please wave!!
    Past : 06 Virago 250; 85 GSX 750; 93 GSX-R 750; 83 Nighthawk 450
    Current project : 80 CM400

Live for what you'll die for.