Afternoon - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afternoon

Re: Afternoon

Question guys, I hear alot of talk of inverted forks... what is the advantage to this? Why is this so appealing? Purely Cosmetics?
    2003 R6

Quote Originally Posted by EpicHero View Post
    Question guys, I hear alot of talk of inverted forks... what is the advantage to this? Why is this so appealing? Purely Cosmetics?
    Inverted forks offer more rigidity over conventional forks translating in better road feel and better handling at the expence of comfort. Mostly found on sport bikes were as conventional forks are usually found on cruisers and sport touring for a smother more comfortable ride, but at the price of less road feel and control. Got this from Yamaha Canada

Inverted forks are positioned on the motorcycle opposite or upside down when compared to conventional forks. The leverage forces that cause fork flex are greatest at the triple clamp area and weakest at the front axle. On inverted forks, the large outer tube of the fork is clamped in the bike’s triple clamps and the sliding inner tube holds the axle and front wheel. By locating the large diameter tubes in the triple clamp, the inverted or upside down fork have their largest and strongest parts combating the highest stress. This arrangement gives the forks high rigidity, which improves their response by reducing the side loading of the internal bushings (sliding surfaces). This kind of response is particularly important in high performance applications. Most inverted forks use cartridge-type damping systems.
    Also, since the damping mechanisms are now held by the triple clamps, unsprung weight is minimized. Reducing unsprung weight is one of the biggest contributors to quality suspension performance.

well thank you for that, most informative
    2003 R6

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    Welcome.
    If you are into V-4 cruiser, the Honda Magna 750 is a very good bike. It is very smooth so it is great as a starter bike. Honda stopped production on them after 2003.
    Excelent bike. Definitly the power and speed is there. You can outride Valkirie and many more big engine bikes (but they are pricey). If you want something smaller and cheeper take a look on Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (parallel twin). The only one (I think) with 6-speed tranny. It's very similar to Ninja 500 engine and tranny. Definitly good beginner. Pretty fast and good on gas. Suzuki Marauder (V-twin) recomendet if you want go up to 800cc segment ( I would take it over the Shadow). All of them are more like custom or muscle style bikes. All of them are (in my opinion) better bikes then V-star 650.This one is to heavy and underpowerd. It's also air cooled not like the rest of them liquid. But it's definitly very nice looking bike! A lot of dealer and aftermarket accesories available as well.
    Last edited by rick123; 01-08-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Welcome to the ride

I was in your boots last winter looking for my first Bike.
    Maybe you need to look at a Sport-touring Bike.

PS.
    The first thing you need to look at is the Insurance for the Types of Motorcycles your looking at.

Sport
    Sport-touring
    Cruisers

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    Inverted forks offer more rigidity over conventional forks translating in better road feel and better handling at the expence of comfort. Mostly found on sport bikes were as conventional forks are usually found on cruisers and sport touring for a smother more comfortable ride, but at the price of less road feel and control. Got this from Yamaha Canada
    Inverted forks also contribute to much lass "unsprung" weight for the suspension to deal with.I believe this was the main reason for their creation.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"