Afternoon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afternoon

Afternoon

Intriducing myself here and lookforward to hearing the many thoughts and opinions about bikes.

I'm looking, after years of wanting one, at picking up a bike in the coming year. I've turned 30 so think I've waiting long enough.

I'm looking at getting a cruiser. Something like a VSTAR 650cc to start and would like to hear any opinions about this bike or similar bikes that people could suggest I take a serious look at. Something that I can drive in the city or take medium to long road trips on and not have my *** killing me by the end of the trip.

I have a friend giving me some advice but he drives a Ninja so his realm of knowledge for cruisers is limited so, again, appreciate anything you guys could point me towards. Even if that's just a link on this site.

Peace

Re: Afternoon

welcome!!
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Welcome new-guy (LoL, the only guy newer than me :^)
    Yes, all the makers have small-cruiser models available, and it's an important market segment for them.
    Honda seems to feel the 750 is an important size, and have spent a lot of effort on these small cruisers.
    (I never thought I'd ever describe a 750 as "small", heheh... and you know what? They're not)
    So it's great to see, all the new models are not 1700, 1800cc +
    Something like a Kawi 900 cruiser - which is physically very small - might be good for you too, if you are a large person and/or in good shape.
    If you are a very rookie rider and/or physically small, that might be too much for you though...
    Actually small bikes are better. You have more fun on them, y'know? But it is difficult for me to recommend a 250-class cruiser to anyone. They are mostly for in-town stuff only.
    What is your insurance situation?
    I saw a sweet blacked-out Yam 650 Custom at the bike show, with black rims.
    It didn't cost too much, it was not huge and you 'could be seen on it' heheh, if such things are important to you, it looked nice.
    Anyway, welcome aboard! And yes, do buy some bike or other. Anything.
    You will enjoy yourself.
    Regards

Welcome!!

Welcome.
    Have you considered a Triumph Bonneville? Small and relatively light,also not overly powerful maybe a pretty good beginner bike.

welcome aboard
    1983 CB750SC Nighthawk
    1984 CB750SC Nighthawk
    1985 GoldWing

Welcome aboard. The 750cc Shadow is a solid starter for those looking to immediately get into cruisers.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

welcome!
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Welcome. I started off on cruisers and have riden many diffrent styles and sizes. If your looking in the 750cc range you need to give serious consideration to the Suzuki M50. 805cc and IMO the best all around cruiser in that cc catagory. It has it all from styling to inverted front forks and shaft drive.

haha, I like your nick.

welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns View Post
    Intriducing myself here and lookforward to hearing the many thoughts and opinions about bikes.

I'm looking, after years of wanting one, at picking up a bike in the coming year. I've turned 30 so think I've waiting long enough.

I'm looking at getting a cruiser. Something like a VSTAR 650cc to start and would like to hear any opinions about this bike or similar bikes that people could suggest I take a serious look at. Something that I can drive in the city or take medium to long road trips on and not have my *** killing me by the end of the trip.

I have a friend giving me some advice but he drives a Ninja so his realm of knowledge for cruisers is limited so, again, appreciate anything you guys could point me towards. Even if that's just a link on this site.

Peace
    welcome. a buddy of mine has a vstar. it's super comfy like a sofa on wheels.... if you're into that, u're set! enjoy!

Talking Re: Afternoon

Welcome to Club

Do you prefer classic or custom style? V-twin, parallel twin or V-4?
    Last edited by rick123; 12-18-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
    Do you prefer classic or custom style? V-twin, parallel twin or V-4?
    That's a good question. I'll take a look for posts on the site that speak about this but any sites or the like that you could point me towards would be great. I'm the type that usually prefers things on the classic side though if that helps.

As far as I'm concerned as long as it's a good bike, for being a starter to boot, I'll be happy as well as it's a good machine. I'm more then willing to take maintenance courses on bikes as well for this.
    Last edited by Guns; 01-06-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Welcome.
    If you are into V-4 cruiser, the Honda Magna 750 is a very good bike. It is very smooth so it is great as a starter bike. Honda stopped production on them after 2003.

Banned

Welcome.

If you are really interested in some distance trips,and you are worried about comfort.Perhaps a cruiser might not be what you need.A standard might suit you better.Lots to choose from out there.Take your time when shopping.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

welcome.........enjoy the site

Quote Originally Posted by nebulabob View Post
    Welcome.
    Have you considered a Triumph Bonneville? Small and relatively light,also not overly powerful maybe a pretty good beginner bike.
    Bonnies are super-sweet bikes and easy to ride, but may be a little on the pricey side for a n00b.

I've heard from quite a few people that the V-star 650 is a great cruiser to start on. If you can find a Kawi Vulcan 500 you'd also be set, as you get a Ninja 500 engine in a relatively small+light package. There's a lot of sportbike riders here...if you have any more specific questions in regards to cruisers you can also check out http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/index.php

As far as longer trips go...as Wingboy mentioned I don't know how much comfort you'll get from a smaller/midsize-ish cruiser. Definitely better than a 250cc cruiser, but not as comfortable as 1000cc+. But at the same time, if you're still learning, you may not be doing those longer trips any time too soon.

Personally, I'd never like to do any distance riding in a cruiser seating position. I didn't even like commuting to work in that position, and quickly upgraded to a standard.
    Last edited by short stop; 01-07-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added link
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Quote Originally Posted by Guns View Post

Peace
    Welcome, have a look at the Suzuki M50 800cc. The best mid-crusiers out there IMO. Only muscle cruiser to have both inverted front forks and shaft drive.