Battery Tender Jr. Help

Thread: Battery Tender Jr. Help

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Question Battery Tender Jr. Help

Hey guys, excuse my ignorance but I have a couple of questions about my battery tender...

I know that it's supposed to charge it then maintain the charge. I've only ever seen the light as green. I would think that it would charge & discharge the battery instead of just constantly keeping the same charge for 6 months. I've never seen a red light. Is this normal?

I also know that hydrogen gets released and I keep it in a room away from any sources that might ignite, but I close the door. Should I find a new spot to put it? When I walk into the room, there's a very noticeable smell.

Thanks!

Re: Battery Tender Jr. Help

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    Hey guys, excuse my ignorance but I have a couple of questions about my battery tender...

I know that it's supposed to charge it then maintain the charge. I've only ever seen the light as green. I would think that it would charge & discharge the battery instead of just constantly keeping the same charge for 6 months. I've never seen a red light. Is this normal?

I also know that hydrogen gets released and I keep it in a room away from any sources that might ignite, but I close the door. Should I find a new spot to put it? When I walk into the room, there's a very noticeable smell.

Thanks!

Put a load on the battery, light bulb etc, and the light on the tender will go red, until it charges back up about 20 seconds later.

If you're noticing "very noticeable smell", don't use a match!
    Put it where the ventilation would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Put a load on the battery, light bulb etc, and the light on the tender will go red, until it charges back up about 20 seconds later.

If you're noticing "very noticeable smell", don't use a match!
    Put it where the ventilation would be better.
    So the constant green is normal?

& I have nowhere else to put it :S

Yep constant green on your tender is normal. It is on float mode, and just maintaining the charge on your battery.

If it drops below 80%, you will see the green light start flashing.

If your really worried, unplug your tender for the night or for a couple days. Plug it back in, and you will see it flashing and than go constant green again.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

When it's green it means the tender isn't doing anything besides monitoring. That 24/7 monitor isn't really necessarily. Take the battery off for a few days (even a week) and just remember to put her back on. No sweat.

I'll add that the cooler the battery storage area is, the slower it will discharge. My battery is still in the bike outside. I put the Tender charger on every several weeks for a day. As long as the battery is fully charged, it will not freeze.
    The motorcycle must surely be the devils handy work, cuss its way tooooo much fun

Thanks for the answers guys!
    Reps if I could

i think by-law, you can not charge the battery inside the house. if anything happens, your insurance company will not cover it. be careful
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)