iPhone or ? (need phone/mp3)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone or ? (need phone/mp3)

iPhone or ? (need phone/mp3)

I'm due for a hardware upgrade (and new contract with Rogers) and since my iPod Video is nw around 4yrs old was thinking an iPhone might be the way to go to provide phone and portable music.

I've never used an iPhone so I'm looking for some advice. Been reading reviews and hear often there are better alternatives to the iPhone but the reviewers don't state what they are.

I won't be doing any internet or data. Just need a cell phone that I can text and take pics with and a decent mp3 player that will hold at least 16GB.

Any suggestions?
    2006 GSXR 1000
    2007 GSXR 600 (track - sold)

PM me if you have a good track bike for sale

Banned

Re: iPhone or ? (need phone/mp3)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwrkr13 View Post
    I'm due for a hardware upgrade (and new contract with Rogers) and since my iPod Video is nw around 4yrs old was thinking an iPhone might be the way to go to provide phone and portable music.

I've never used an iPhone so I'm looking for some advice. Been reading reviews and hear often there are better alternatives to the iPhone but the reviewers don't state what they are.

I won't be doing any internet or data. Just need a cell phone that I can text and take pics with and a decent mp3 player that will hold at least 16GB.

Any suggestions?
    i had one with rogers man, my bill was always 135+ and i dont really use it. its not worth the price, rogers sucks. your paying mad money to use dumb features.

I dident mind the iphone im just saying the price you pay to have it is so not worth it. its a phone.

plus everyone has one

I have a iphone and love it. Best digital device I have owned.

I have the 6 Gig data for $30 a month and a my 5 calling plan $35 (i only talk to a few ppl anyway). With all the taxes my usual bill is arond $80. I am thinking of downgrading my data plan because I use 3G all the time and haven't hit near the 6GB limit. Especially because I have wifi at home.

I would wait for the next gen iphone, i have the 3g, todays phone is the 3gS
    the 4g should be the next to be released at some point in the new year

since you have to get a data plan with the phone and you may not use it. Don't bother. Plus do you really want your phone to die because you were listening to music on the way to work. Everyone I know with one and to carry a charger with them everywhere they go. I have my 120gig ipod I may have to charge every couple of days.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    I have a iphone and love it. Best digital device I have owned.

I have the 6 Gig data for $30 a month and a my 5 calling plan $35 (i only talk to a few ppl anyway). With all the taxes my usual bill is arond $80. I am thinking of downgrading my data plan because I use 3G all the time and haven't hit near the 6GB limit. Especially because I have wifi at home.
    Same here, I was always a phone whore...but I cant phathom using another phone after the iPhone. Having said that, I wouldnt get one RIGHT now. A new iPhone is coming out next year and I would wait for that one. Apple is facing the hardest competition its ever faced with Google in the mobile phone arena and lets hope it pushes them to really go all out for iPhone 4.0.

As for the plan, you are in the best position possible with Rogers. Your contract is up and they want to retain you. I was in the same position when I got my 3G...tell them your leaving for Bell or Telus unless they do something for you on the plan. They should put you in touch with their retention dept...with them you can basically ask for whatever you want and they will try and accomodate. I got $25 for 200 weekday minutes/evenings and weekends free starting at 6pm/6 gb data plan (i never even come close to this) for $30 and I got an add on of $15 for like 2500 text messages and some other stuff. My bill never goes over $80 (if that)
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Also consider the Android phones.. They're fairly feature-rich and the open platform will encourage lots of software development in the future.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

I have an iPhone 3gs without a data plan. Its pretty awesome. The only thing that irks me a bit is the battery life on it. Apart from that I love my phone. The interface on it is amazing. Also as someone posted.. yeah I think apple is coming out with another version next year. You may wanna wait for that one.. since you waited this long.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

I said it before & I'll say it again:
    Blackberry.

I have an 8GB microSD card in mine and the music player was a lot better than the music-dedicated phones that I've had. The search function works well, etc. The only problem I have with the music player is that it's a ***** trying to search through hour-long mixes

Texting's great with the full keypad & the phone's just so well-engineered & crafted. Can't forget BBM(blackberry messenger) which might just be the greatesting thing, ever.

I use a Nokia e71 and absolutely love it. It can do significantly more than an iPhone and was only $200 unlocked via amazon.

Check out the specs on it and you may be impressed.

Whatever you do, do not sign another 3year contract with Robbers right now.
    Or any provider for that matter.

New players are (finally) entering market, prices are bound to go down to more reasonable levels, and 3year contract... is just plain crazy for any service.

I have iphone 3G, meh... it's not worth the hype. Tons of useless crApps, you have to do everything through itunes (slower than slow), phone is not that good imo.

^^^ agree.

With Bell going to GSM, the 'system access fee' being integrated into prices, and new blood on the scene, prices are set to start coming down. Maybe not a lot, but we'll see.
    There is no planet B.

Well I can't really wait on a plan as mine expires in a couple weeks.

Again I don't care about the apps as I won't be using the data plan. Just need it for phone/txt and mp3 player. Battery life will be a big issue if it's bad. My Ipod video will do about 8hrs on audio playback alone. Would like the new one to go longer.

I did just hear about the new phone company entering the market and the current issues but I have a corporate rate available with Bell and I always give Rogers a chance to beat it and they always do.

I pay $25 monthly and get:
    200 anytime
    unlimited evening aft 6pm/weekends
    2500 txts
    voicemail and call display
    1000 long distance month

To add a second question: Can I use my phone as a Sirius device without having to get a data plan?
    2006 GSXR 1000
    2007 GSXR 600 (track - sold)

PM me if you have a good track bike for sale

Understandable, just keep it in mind and try and keep the contract term short, if you can.

OTOH, you're already paying peanuts. I want in on that plan!
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    I use a Nokia e71 and absolutely love it. It can do significantly more than an iPhone and was only $200 unlocked via amazon.

Check out the specs on it and you may be impressed.
    Excuse me?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgY View Post
    Excuse me?
    You are excused.

Which means your current plan will change to the same plan on a month to month basis (30 day notice to cancel). You are in the driver's seat. Don't fall for any sales-speak from any Robbers agents.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

Nokia N97. It pwns the IPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by adv_round View Post
    Whatever you do, do not sign another 3year contract with Robbers right now.
    Or any provider for that matter.

New players are (finally) entering market, prices are bound to go down to more reasonable levels, and 3year contract... is just plain crazy for any service.
    +1
    Globalive/WIND Mobile should be launching within the next week or so, according to a friend in the industry. They're well known in Europe, specifically in Italy and Greece. In Italy they're the #3 player in the country's 60 million+ user wireless industry.

Save your money, wait a month. Don't let them sell you anything until you see what comes up between now and a month from now. You may just find it worth the wait.

The WIND plans have been leaked.

Chat: $15 per month
    Unlimited WIND to WIND calling (Canada wide)
    Unlimited incoming text
    100 province-wide voice minutes
    50 text messages

Always Talk: $35 per month
    Unlimited WIND to WIND calling (Canada wide)
    Unlimited province-wide calling
    Unlimited incoming text
    50 outgoing text messages

Always Shout: $45 per month
    Unlimited Canada-wide calling
    Unlimited incoming /outgoing text messages
    Voicemail

Data Plans
    Infinite Mobile: $35 per month (used with any voice plan)
    Unlimited internet for phones (tethering too)

Infinite Laptop: $45 per month
    Unlimited internet for USB data sticks

Possibly there will be a web on your phone only type data plan for $10/mn.

BlackBerry data plans
    Social BlackBerry: $10 per month
    Unlimited instant messaging, Facebook and MySpace.

Infinite BlackBerry: $35 per month (used with any voice plan)
    Unlimited internet for BlackBerry

Addons:
    Voice: 10c Per Minute with the $15 plan
    SMS: 10c each
    MMS: 20c each
    Voicemail: $5

Long Distance:
    $20 for unlimited North America
    No other details on long distance, there is going to be a number of different plans.
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences